March 28, 2024, 03:49:40 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Photobucket and my Sony Digital

Started by luise.volta, January 27, 2011, 04:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithlooksup

Luise, how does Kirk like living in Hawaii????

luise.volta

Neither of them like the hot summers and come here for three months to escape it.  They have a little place 7 miles down the road from me. They built their own home in Kapaa. The native prejudice against "hales" (Caucasians) is ever-present. Kirk breaks the long period from mid-October when they go back home to late June when they return by coming over alone for my birthday in March and staying a month. They both have a hard time with the dark and rainy winters here. That's what prompted the move. They would like me to winter there but it's not realistic.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Faithlooksup

How totally awesome Luise, I was in Hawaii once and will never ever forget the experience.... The night shows at the Polonesean Palace with Don Ho singing "Tiny Bubbles".  All the festivities going on at night on Waikiki~~the hula dancers, the roasted pigs and this green stuff which looked like sea weed which I would not eat.....We were there for a whole week and I would Love to go back.  Now their folklore is, that on the day you are leaving to throw your lai into the ocean and you will return...Well, of course I did that but have not returned since then and that was 40 years ago...And sunburnt wow did we ever roast...But the memory will live on forever.....Whether I make it back or not...
Hugs, Faith

luise.volta

Oh, I did all the same things, F., when I went to Oahu with my sister, the first time in 1975. She had been diagnosed with irreversible cancer, so it was a bittersweet trip. Then with a friend to Maui. Then with a class that we studying volcanoes, as a "field trip" when we did all of the islands. Then twice with my ex-DIL who is still part of my heart and life. The next three trips were with Val. I last visited Kirk and Sandy in 2000.

I have found out that my plan to spend part of the winter there with them (they have a guest room and bath with it's own, private lanai) after Val passes is a "no go" because when you live in HUD (low income housing,) you can only be gone for two weeks.

If any of you don't mind the heat...they rent their place out in the summer when they are here!  ;D

Faithlooksup

Ohhhhhhh Temptation at its best.....Doubt I could afford it tho.....PLUS going thru all that rigamaroll before boarding the plane for a long 8-9 hr flight.....

We did visit Maui for 2 days~~breath taking....Then back to Honolulu....we went snorkeling, deep sea fishing and the Dolphions followed us all over...Maybe in my dreams I will get there again...
;D ;D ;)

luise.volta

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on February 06, 2011, 09:07:11 AM
If any of you don't mind the heat...they rent their place out in the summer when they are here!  ;D

Oooh, that one is going in my list of things to remember.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell