April 16, 2024, 09:05:34 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

A little Valentine sympathy for DS/DH - the man in the middle.

Started by seasage, February 04, 2011, 11:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

ohhhh when I had that fresh hot an heaven feeling I was suppose to be thinking bread

Pooh

I had to look up soda bread and colcannon (I'm food illiterate).  They both look yummy.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

They are delicious, Pooh. My dad makes soda bread every year for St. Patty's Day. Clover, we only make it once a year too. I think I ate two loaves myself last year, though.

willingtohelp

I'll post my recipes once I dig them out.  If you want to make the soda bread, you can either start soaking raisins now in whiskey or wait till the day before and soak them in some warm apple juice.  It's just to plump them and make them sweet and flavorful. Colcannon is a potato cabbage mash that tastes wonderful.  Soda bread is a sweet dry bread that pairs great with butter or with the flavors of the corned beef.   I don't use caraway seeds in mine, but some prefer them if it's meant to be served with more savory items.  Corned beef, I imagine, is self explanatory, but if not, it's beef soaked in a flavored brine for a long time and then cooked with cabbage, onions, potatoes, and carrots (yes, I have two different types of potatoes on St Patty's Day).  For dessert I usually make a pistachio ice cream torte (layers of ice cream and angel food cake).  Can you tell I'm excited?

Oh, many thanks for correcting the capitalization.  I must've missed an interesting time. 

Pen

Quote from: clover on March 04, 2011, 07:12:42 AM
I'll post my recipes once I dig them out.  If you want to make the soda bread, you can either start soaking raisins now in whiskey or wait till the day before and soak them in some warm apple juice.  It's just to plump them and make them sweet and flavorful. Colcannon is a potato cabbage mash that tastes wonderful.  Soda bread is a sweet dry bread that pairs great with butter or with the flavors of the corned beef.   I don't use caraway seeds in mine, but some prefer them if it's meant to be served with more savory items.  Corned beef, I imagine, is self explanatory, but if not, it's beef soaked in a flavored brine for a long time and then cooked with cabbage, onions, potatoes, and carrots (yes, I have two different types of potatoes on St Patty's Day).  For dessert I usually make a pistachio ice cream torte (layers of ice cream and angel food cake).  Can you tell I'm excited?

Oh, many thanks for correcting the capitalization.  I must've missed an interesting time.

What time should we arrive?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

It was interesting, Clover...that's for sure. We had people who got into it and then modified their posting so the responses didn't make any sense and then to really confuse issues, whole posts were deleted.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

LOL.. no it wasn't... Now she is going to believe you Pooh.. If I wasn't me.. I'd believe you

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

March 04, 2011, 03:33:05 PM #144 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:51:45 PM by luise.volta
I thought we had come to the conclusion some time back that everything is Laurie's fault, right?

LaurieS

Quote from: luise.volta on March 04, 2011, 03:33:05 PM
I thought we had to the conclusion some time back that everything is Laurie's fault, right?
Oh that really did make me laugh... good one Luise

luise.volta

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on March 04, 2011, 03:33:05 PM
I thought we had come to the conclusion some time back that everything is Laurie's fault, right?

That's what I remember.   ;D
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

You could have said that? I'm going to delete that member!!  :o

LaurieS

Oh you'd  miss me to much to delete me.. and don't give my dh any ideas if he thought all you had to do was hit the delete button, he might have this weekend :)