March 29, 2024, 08:59:03 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Advice needed from MIL's & DIL's

Started by stressedout1, February 03, 2011, 07:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Well you know Tara.. some times it's hard to gather enough nerve to face something you are afraid of.  Men always claim that they aren't afraid and why..what is it they have that makes them claim this inner strength?  That is all it is.. a symbol of inner strength.

She pats herself on the chest and says I can do this.. I told her that if I gave her nothing else in life I gave her the courage to be the best she could be.

pam1

Quote from: 1Glitterati on February 05, 2011, 04:23:21 PM
Quote from: pam1 on February 05, 2011, 07:11:30 AM
That's why you are a good doobie :) 

This is just making me snicker.  HARD.

Doobie means something totally different where I come from...I'm just imagining Holli all lit up with a wreath of smoke around her head. ;D

lol.  I didn't know that it had other definitions, thats funny
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

holliberri

Yeah...doobie means the same here, Pam. Lol. I figured I gave you the munchies. I never heard another meaning...

Tara

Quote from: Laurie on February 05, 2011, 07:43:01 PM
Well you know Tara.. some times it's hard to gather enough nerve to face something you are afraid of.  Men always claim that they aren't afraid and why..what is it they have that makes them claim this inner strength?  That is all it is.. a symbol of inner strength.

She pats herself on the chest and says I can do this.. I told her that if I gave her nothing else in life I gave her the courage to be the best she could be.

Wise Mom!

luise.volta

No one can tell you if you are doing something wrong or right. If it works for you to rephrase the gender remarks, do it. I can't be bothered...I know what I mean. But/and that's not "wrong." Some things I just shorten like: "Peace on earth, goodwill to men," (my mantra,) I just eventually shortened to "Peace and Goodwill" for simplicity.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

yeah I've shortened one of my most common phrases from:  Yes  I know how you feel but I may not be seeing this the same way, so if it's ok by you, I'd like to retain my opinion as I originally stated.. shorter version:  Take a flying leap  --- Is that what you mean Luise? :)

luise.volta

Oh, yes, Laurie...you are so eloquent!  8)

Seriously, part of my post referred to the prior statement: "Am I wrong about that? Please be honest. I will stop using it if I am." We don't know what's right or wrong for anyone else. We have enough to handle in trying to figure it out for ourselves. (And for me it can change daily!)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama