March 28, 2024, 11:21:37 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Who does that????

Started by pam1, February 02, 2011, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

You should see some of the baby dolls they have out there now.  My dd got 2 dolls for xmas that are insane.  One really poops and pees after you feed it and the other you have to give a shot in the behind if you can't make it all better with the fake medicine.  And they sound like real babies.  It drives me kkkkkkkrazy. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Oh wow!  The most realistic doll I had, was the one with the bottle that looked like it had orange juice in it, and you turned it upside down and it disappeared in the lid....ha ha ha...I loved that doll.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

penelope

lol..heck yeah,I'm not gonna make a shrine,the beds still there,when you come home to visit you have a bed,but the smell of teen butt is gone,along with your junk!!! don't sometimes you long for the old days,the orange baby bottle was a huge thing:) I sometimes would like my phone to still be attached to the wall with a cord:) we haven't had a land line for years,things seemed simple back then,even tho my upbringing was a nightmare,seemed simple:)

luise.volta

Truth?  I remember the talking into part of the phone being held in one hand and the listening part being held in the other hand...and my mom saying to the the operator..."Hi, Mable...would you get me Sue?"
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

penelope

awww~ don't you miss that:) to me simple is heaven~less is more~everything now is so hi-tech,I had to get a new cell phone last night,the guy asked what do you plan on doing with it? ummm call people:b I couldn't get over how much phones do,I said give me the basic....lol

stilltryen

Ha, the good thing about reading all these posts is thinking about what a great MIL I am to my son and his wife.  We never go to their house unless we're invited.  (Of course, we weren't invited for the first year and a half they were married, while her parents went there to dinner every month, but that's another story.)  If they need help, we're there.  If they need a baby sitter, we're there.  We've given them gift certificates to their favorite restaurants, theater gift certificates and stuff they well and truly do use (bottles of good wine, etc.) - no toilet seats!!  Now I feel pretty darn good about me and the hubby!   :D

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on February 03, 2011, 06:17:32 AM
My first marriage, I had the MIL from hades and she enjoyed tormenting me.  This was one of my "Who does that?" moments. 

You should have whipped out the snake, right then and there.

luise.volta

Beautiful validation, ST.

And I am split on the high tech stuff. If I didn't have this computer, I wouldn't have your guys in my life and I can't imagine that...even though it's been less than two years. I like MP3 streaming music from my computer as opposed to using my iPod and deck...and burning CDs for in my car is OK. But...at 83, it's no walk in the park!

Shopping for a new cell phone was funny. Verizon found me one without a camera! (But it took a lot of research.)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Quote from: Laurie on February 03, 2011, 12:10:41 PM
Quote from: Pooh on February 03, 2011, 06:17:32 AM
My first marriage, I had the MIL from hades and she enjoyed tormenting me.  This was one of my "Who does that?" moments. 

You should have whipped out the snake, right then and there.

Ha ha ha...I'll give you one guess what my biggest phobia is?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: pam1 on February 03, 2011, 09:35:43 AM
You should see some of the baby dolls they have out there now.  My dd got 2 dolls for xmas that are insane.  One really poops and pees after you feed it and the other you have to give a shot in the behind if you can't make it all better with the fake medicine.  And they sound like real babies.  It drives me kkkkkkkrazy.
Now it could be just one of those nasty rumors and thank goodness we can do our own research now days.. but rumor had it that those 'baby alive' dolls which was how they were being marketed years ago would eventually get maggots in them from the 'food' stuff... just passing along what could be total misinformation.

I had one of those dolls with the disappearing fluid bottles too.. great fun.. I still don't know how they did that

penelope

luise,good point,I never thought of it when I was using my computer:) the box said my phone has mp3,I haven't a clue how to get music on it,my ys put music on my little clip on ipod,I've had the same music for 3 years!! I keep asking him to put new on:) Pooh,I'm affraid to ask

overwhelmed123

I know this has kind of moved to a different topic but I keep thinking of "who does that" moments!  DH and I had only been dating a month or two and it was my first time to his mom's house.  We went over there for dinner.  At the end of the night, she randomly asked him how his IBS was and if he was having diarrhea.  Right in front of me.  He was 26 at the time.  He got this look on his face and was like, "mom.."  She's like, "what, I just assumed you had talked about your IBS..."  No we hadn't, but even if we had...WHY would you bring that up?

Interestingly enough, ever since we stopped communication with the ILs, his IBS has magically gone away!  Funny how that happened!

Pooh

Oh thats bad OW! How embarrassing...although I am guilty of showing my Son's girlfriends over the years, bathtub pics of them when they were babies!  Both boys used to yell, "MOM!"  I would just look at them and say, "Remember all the times you embarrassed me growing up? Pay back."  ;D
Joseph Campbell

overwhelmed123

Haha, Pooh, I think bathtub pictures are cute because..well...we all know what their body parts are.  And you should be granted some payback- it's only fair, right?  ;) You get a free pass on that one! Now, questions about diarrhea..... should be reserved for one-on-one conversations, IF they are even brought up at all! 

Pooh

You are definately right.  It wasn't like I followed that with, "Sooo, do they still look like that?"   ;D
Joseph Campbell