March 28, 2024, 03:18:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Who does that????

Started by pam1, February 02, 2011, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariatobe

Pooh, just sounds like you have good common sense.  I don't have the money to change things every season.  It sounds pointless and a waste of money.  No one sees my bedrooms anyways except for my kids and DH. 

Pooh

Thanks Maria, me neither.  She was always a big "put on a show" person.  She yelled at me a few times because I showed up to events with the same pocketbook I was carrying the week before...Lol.  I know, I know, fashion ediquette is your bag is an accessory, but I buy great bags and carry them for weeks before I change (unless it was a formal event).  I love pocketbooks, I just don't change them out daily.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

penelope

laurie when my nephew came back fro Iraq he bought a beautiful dark grey caddie sport coupe fully loaded,brought it over to show us,I said to dh I wanna go to Iraq:b Pooh my mil was,well..hhmm I don't even know hot to put it,we had our wedding here,at the time it was her house,I was not allowed to have any part in it,she hung a few paper decorations,I had rented an arch for the yard,and wanted chairs nicely lined,when the music started i got outside no chairs,guest scattered everywhere,she said no to the chairs,she didn't want holes poked in the lawn,so then it drizzled so we grabbed the arch and hauled but inside the house,she insisted it be put in the corner where her dh died,yrs later she guilted dh into buying family home(money pit),when we took ownership she was still here,as her new house wasn't vacated yet,I bought the paneling mansion!! I bought paint and she found out...all hell broke lose,she reemed me up and down,the curtains were so old they were dryrotted to the rods,I had to hide new curtains from her. I think one reason we have open door policy is this will always be the inl home,I love my sil and bil so I don't mind,so when I see my dil doing her stupid what she thinks is sneaky stunts,I think oh my dear you have no clue what a monster mil is...she evn use to tell me how to raise my kids,this coming from the women who let my oldest chew on aqua net hairspray cans when he was a baby:) lol holliberri I'm with you,so much gets sent to goodwill,a few years ago i asked my sons to write a letter about their most fav christmas,and if it had a speial toy they wanted,i was gonna dig out photos to match their letter and have them framed,instead,they wrote letters put them in a beautiful hat box with a candle in the middle surrounded by choc,when i read the letters,they wrote how everyyear I made Christmas magical for them and all our guest,sometimes we had up to 50 ppl over,I cried like baby,my dh got me diamond earrings that year,I took them back,said get them off credit card,those letters was the best gift i could ever get~I'm not a materialistic girl either,I prefer gifts from the heart

Pooh

Isn't is kind of funny that we had such horrible MILs, so we try to be the opposite cause we know how all that felt, and yet now we are a horrible MIL in their eyes?  I took everything my devil MIL did to me and swore I would never do those things to my future DILs and I haven't.  She was intrusive into everything, I stay out of everything.  She would drop by every other day and criticize, I have been waiting for an invitation to see their new house since May of last year...Lol.  Everything that felt horrible for my MIL to do to me, I have gone the opposite with my DIL...lot of good that did me!

Oh, the best.  At Christmas, she would buy me pajamas and jogging suits in size 16 and give them to me...every year.  I was a size 5 then....Lol.  She would just smile and say, "I hope it fits."  I would just smile and say, "Oh, it will."  I didn't lie.  I am sure it fit someone that came in to the Goodwill and purchased it.  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

penelope

hahaha thats a big dif in size:b my dh is constantly pushing things on ds,things done the way it was when he grew up, we have fought over this,just like this house,I could not imagine guilting my kids into this place,I convinced him 2 yrs after buying it to put it up for sale,i was standing in subway with ys and had an older lady verbally attack me about selling my house,i said calmly,excuse me do i know you,turned out to be one of mil friends who lives down the road,another fight with dh and he pulled house off the market,that was 13 yrs ago,still here...

overwhelmed123

Pam- WOW.  Seriously WHO DOES THAT?

The first one that pops into my head (because of course there are several) was early on in my relationship with DH.  We were just dating- probably for about 6 months- and I had just started living at his house to help with bills because his divorce had left him with a big house and all the bills.  So my apartment lease was up and I stayed there to help with bills- so anyway we started living together and trying to sell his house so we could get away from that place.  We get a call from FMIL (not my MIL yet) and she says she just saw a FABULOUS baby furniture set at the secondhand store and just HAD to get it for us! You'd think that we had kids or at least were expecting, right?  No...not at all.  So she bought this crib, dresser, and changing station without talking to us and THEN goes on to say, "oh I don't want my husband to know I bought this...can I have it delivered to your house??"  Like...WHAT?  In hindsight, we should have said, "no," so we didn't encourage this kind of odd behavior, but it was somewhat early on and I still wanted to have a good relationship with them so we ended up getting BABY FURNITURE delivered to the house we lived in that sat in the guest room and collected dust.  I just kept thinking WHO DOES THAT?  We aren't even engaged or planning on having kids!!  Of course, this is the woman who told DH before he met me when he was younger that he didn't have to marry someone or be in love to have a baby.  She told him, "you could have a baby with anyone just to have a baby, and I could help you raise that baby."  Yeahhhhhhh creepy anyone?

Pen

I have an acquaintance who is a 'baby hoarder' - seriously, when anyone has a baby she WANTS it. Very creepy. She finally lucked out and is raising her GC. When this kid gets out of toddlerhood she'll probably try to take over another infant. Yuck.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

overwhelmed123

My MIL would be that woman if she could.  She always tells people her only aspirations in life were/are to be a mother and a grandmother.  She used to always ask us about having kids and she and my DH's aunt started a discussion about who would be the first one to get to hold our child (again...a child that doesn't exist).  She tried to engage in a discussion with us about why we couldn't put our kids in day care and wanted to be able to be a nanny to our unborn, non existant child.  I wanted to tell her yeah, you'll be our nanny when hell freezes over!  I would honestly be scared she'd crack and run away with our kid and not tell us where she was.  She's obsessed.

pam1

Quote from: Pen on February 02, 2011, 07:27:13 PM
SM & DF showed up without warning one Boxing Day and gave us ....wait for it (does anyone say that anymore?)......the bone from their Christmas ham. The bone! No meat, they'd eaten it all with her kids for Christmas dinner.

I'd rather have had a new toilet seat.

Oh.My.Gawd.  A bone.

You guys are cracking me up. 

There was a lady at my work who demanded we tie balloons to her chair on her bday.  I wonder what she was like as a family member.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

overwhelmed123

Quote from: Pen on February 02, 2011, 07:27:13 PM
SM & DF showed up without warning one Boxing Day and gave us ....wait for it (does anyone say that anymore?)......the bone from their Christmas ham. The bone! No meat, they'd eaten it all with her kids for Christmas dinner.

I'd rather have had a new toilet seat.

Did they even explain what they brought you the bone FOR?  To make soup?

overwhelmed123

This is more of a "who says that," but you guys were talking about figures and bodies and it made me think of the time when my GMIL saw me at a family function and said,  "You look really good.  You looked a little too skinny last time I saw you, but you look better now."  Soooo I look like I gained weight?  Wow, thanks!  Never wearing THAT outfit again!

penelope

Holy smoke ow123,that is creepy,I wanna be a gm:) but not to that point,my son left his dog with me this week,I feel trapped!!! lol she sounds a few bricks short of a full load. When my son went into the service a few years ago,with in hours I had his room gutted,cleaned and all his stuff packed away,my oldest came in and said OMG!! mom the body isn't even cold yet!! I said what,he's not living here anymore,they thought I was nuts,I wanted the new guest room cleaned:) my oldest drives OTR,when he took this job,he's only here on weekends,if that,never home..out with friends,I gutted his room,re-painted,looks like Martha Stewart blew up in there..lol I told dh,I'm dropping hints..lol he wants to buy a house so he's home saving money..1 yr,then I say ADIOS!!

Pen

Penelope, my DS was shocked when I turned his bedroom into a workspace after he married. Like it was going to remain some sort of shrine to him?

Oh, I so needed some good laughs. I can face my day now, thanks to you all. You are the best! Have a great day, everyone.

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

overwhelmed123

That's funny penelope!  My parents were the same way- as soon as I went off to college, I didn't have a bedroom anymore!  Well...I mean...it did have a BED...but it wasn't MY room anymore!  DH's mom keeps his room exactly like it was.  I mean seriously.  And it has a lock on the door that you have to have a key to open because she doesn't want anyone messing up his room.  It is truly a shrine!

Pooh

Ha ha ha...my YS gets an air mattress when he comes home!  Oops.  OW, your MIL is creepy!  Wonder if you could get one of those "real" babies that they give out in High School for a week now and give it to her!
Joseph Campbell