April 25, 2024, 12:04:10 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Anna

Started by luise.volta, January 29, 2011, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Glitterati

Quote from: MILLGS on February 13, 2011, 06:17:33 PM
Nope the option of modifying was removed today because it was abused.

Aw, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.  I always correct my grammar and punctuation because I always mess something up and it just bugs me so much.

:-\  I"m going to have to go whine and sulk somewhere, now.

1Glitterati

Quote from: 1Glitterati on February 13, 2011, 06:59:56 PM
Quote from: MILLGS on February 13, 2011, 06:17:33 PM
Nope the option of modifying was removed today because it was abused.

Aw, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.  I always correct my grammar and punctuation because I always mess something up and it just bugs me so much.

:-\  I"m going to have to go whine and sulk somewhere, now.

SEE!  I used a quotation mark when I should have used an apostrophe!

holliberri

Glitter,

I'm the same! I apologize in advance for redundancy, stttuttering, fat fingers, and my occasional world flip (radio clock).

seasage

For the first year or so, the rules were that one could modify or delete one's own post, and one could even delete one's own thread. Those were the rules.

Then Anna deleted her own posts and threads.  And that was called abuse of the rules, so the option to delete had to be removed.

Then someone modified her own post.  And that was called abuse of the rules, so the option to modify had to be removed.

Then seasage posted: the old rules were good rules!  And that was called abuse of the rules, and the option to post ...

holliberri

Quote from: holliberri on February 13, 2011, 07:06:19 PM
Glitter,

I'm the same! I apologize in advance for redundancy, stttuttering, fat fingers, and my occasional world flip (radio clock).

See...right there...I meant "word."

Seasage, you make me laugh.  :)

luise.volta

Posted elsewhere, repeated here"

Reading posts before I go back to bed and feeling inadequate at the moment because I obviously am.

My attempts to catch up have brought eye strain and headache. That's not anyone's fault, it's mine. My attempts to keep or restore the peace have likewise failed. Probably poor judgment on my part. My attempts to find ways to keep people from messing with each others work and continuity have also been unsuccessful. My fault again. I need to step away but that didn't work, either. It's my job and I am at present having trouble doing it well.

This is just a time of overwhelm and it is about me.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

seasage

At WWU we pour out our stories from our bleeding hearts, often revealing facts that our families could use to identify us, and sometimes saying hurtful things about our family members.  We find sympathetic assistance, we learn to deal, and we heal.  This is true value.

But sometimes, as our hearts are healing, we realize that it would not be a good thing for our family members to find our writings here.  In that case, the ability to delete posts and threads is a good thing.  And sometimes one of our members simply becomes disgusted, and wants to pick up her notebook and go home!  I think that's what Anna wanted.

Some of us have complained about these deletions, either because posts have disappeared or because an existing post seemed to have no antecedent. 

Which purpose has the greater value: protecting the innocent so they can renew their lives with their families, or protecting our postings so they make sense?

I favor the former. 

seasage

P.S.  I think we should stop saying that Anna abused the rules.  She didn't.  She merely used them. 

LaurieS

Abuse of the system as it was set up is what caused the removal of the option to delete one's own postings.  It was viewed as continued abuse of the system when individual postings were modified from words to smiley faces. 

I could very well be wrong in my thinking but why would anyone post information about their private lives here on this type of forum if they had any reservations about their true identity being discovered?  We talk about facebook and how it comes back to bite people over and over again, yet we vent here quite openly without care.

If my dil happened on here, she'd know in a heartbeat who I am.. I knew that ahead of time.. never did I think that I would simply delete my on-line existence once I felt better about a situation.

I'd like to clarify.. I never said that Anna abused any rules.. we had no rules applying to deletions because honestly Luise didn't know that anyone could do this.  I said that Anna abused the system.

cremebrulee

Quote from: MILLS on February 13, 2011, 04:30:03 PM
Quote from: RedRose on February 13, 2011, 12:26:05 PM
Just maybe Anna has a good reason to delete all of her posts. Maybe she needed to get rid of the old and start out new....for a good reason.

Anna was here a long time .. I don't think there is anything wrong with what she did
Glad you didn't see anything wrong with it.. looks like Luise did.

And yes Creme, now everyone has lost the ability to modify their own postings... I asked Luise to reconsider doing this as only one person had become abusive, but it's her board and her ruling.

maybe, and I'm assuming, but perhaps Anna, didn't realize what she was doing and that she was deliberate with her actions, maybe she was, I don't know, but I do know that a lot of times, I don't know what I'm doing when I'm in here or how to do things within the forum?  I'm just saying, that's all?

and yes, it is her board and her ruling....however, I didn't understand, why all of a sudden you couldn't modify, thought it maybe was my computer, b/c a lot of times, not always, but a lot of times, when I'm posting, it jumps around and does crazy things...so...my bad, I didn't really know that the modify part was taken out.

sorry

cremebrulee

Quote from: luise.volta on February 13, 2011, 08:14:51 PM
Posted elsewhere, repeated here"

Reading posts before I go back to bed and feeling inadequate at the moment because I obviously am.

My attempts to catch up have brought eye strain and headache. That's not anyone's fault, it's mine. My attempts to keep or restore the peace have likewise failed. Probably poor judgment on my part. My attempts to find ways to keep people from messing with each others work and continuity have also been unsuccessful. My fault again. I need to step away but that didn't work, either. It's my job and I am at present having trouble doing it well.

This is just a time of overwhelm and it is about me.

Luise, how long now, has this forum been ongoing?  It started when? 

So, this was the first time this happened in all this time...big deal? 

I think there is way to much drama going on here about this, period, it's silly, and you are by far not to blame for any of this....period....

You have given us a place to come and pour our hearts out if need be, I cannot imagine, for a moment, how much effort and time you put into this site every single day of your life, to give us this priviledge....

Luise....sometimes poop happens, and it isn't through any fault of your own....it's just like when ever a new rule or system is developed, someone always finds they're way around it....it's unavoidable....and so, ok, something happened regarding Anna...big deal, there are a whole lot of other wonderful posts on here which matter....

As far as someone else loosing they're posts due to someone modifying they're threads, I can't tell you how many times I've lost work, poems, writing, etc...it happens....so, it's done, lets all move forward and forgetabout it, for Luise's sake....

whataya say....

We love you Luise and this is a very minute thing in the bigger picture of life....

Happy Valentines Day, Lady Leader and developer of WWU!!!!!

and happpy Valentines day to all you beautiful ladies out there, b/c without each other, we wouldn't be, we are sistas!!!!!!

Creme

lancaster lady

Hey Creme
I agree , why let someone who for some reason has ruined the trust in this forum ,consciously or not ,spoil the fun and the friendship the ladies have created .
This site helped me enormously ,and will help others too .
Please carry on with banners blazing .....
Luise:
Let's call it a gremlin in the works .....you do an amazing job ...and I salute you ..x

jill

I know when I joined this forum, I was a little worried that if my dd read my posts she would recognize herself.  Of course my name is changed, but I have freely expressed what has been happening.   Maybe Anna felt the same.  I don't know how to delete or modify, so that would not help.  Anyway, thank you Luise for this wonderful place to come, and to all you great ladies for your caring and advice.......Jill   

luise.volta

Thank you for your kind and generous responses. Better days are ahead. Sending love...

pam1

Quote from: jill on February 14, 2011, 07:36:07 AM
I know when I joined this forum, I was a little worried that if my dd read my posts she would recognize herself.  Of course my name is changed, but I have freely expressed what has been happening.   Maybe Anna felt the same.  I don't know how to delete or modify, so that would not help.  Anyway, thank you Luise for this wonderful place to come, and to all you great ladies for your caring and advice.......Jill

Oh I know, I'm worried all the time about someone finding my postings.  And I don't even use a different name!  I need to change it but I can't think anything cool.  Everyone else has cool names.  Hmph

I did modify one of my posts b/c I felt it gave too much info and I'd like that option again.  But it's not my board and since we all know up front what the rules are, I think it should be respected and kept in mind.  And it's not like we don't have the option of asking Luise to remove it either. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

I sometimes think it would be fun to come here under another name, myself...believe it or not. I just don't think I could keep track of a parallel identity.  ???  All of my family and extended family know about M/R and WWU and some night take exception to my various posts and presentations over the years. I just rely heavily on their overall disinterest.  ;D