March 28, 2024, 12:43:14 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Photobucket and my Sony Digital

Started by luise.volta, January 27, 2011, 04:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Laurie, I want you to know that I am doing really well with my new camera and with getting my pictures uploaded to my computer. Thank you SO much for all your help! I have almost given up a few times...by being intimidated by the Software...but all is well. What a sweetie you are!   :-*
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

It just  takes a little practice and patience... or a heck of a lot of mistakes and hours.. looks like you chose the easier option.. You're doing great with it...

Next we are going to get you to download a little program called "shrink pic" when you have it up and running it will automatically reduce your photo size for emails.. I'm assuming that you are now sending more pictures via email.

luise.volta

Nope!  :( >:( :'(  Electronic devices and PC programs are very hard for me to set up and work my way through alone. You have to remember that I was in my 40s and a grandmother when the hand-held calculator surfaced. The first "home" computers followed shortly thereafter. I usually give up many times in despair before I get to the other side, so I'm resting on my laurels, Laurie!  ;D

There are so many people in my retirement center that can't turn a PC on and most who have them, can't use them. Their kids set them all up and then when they leave...they flounder, again, and give up.

I still remember Kirk setting up his desk top system for me when he moved to Hawaii in 1997. He  covered the top of my bed with manuals, (there were no Read Me files,) connected me with an ISP, installed an email program and said, "You're pretty smart, Mom. If you want to continue to have a meaningful relationship with me, figure it out." (All heart, that kid.) Oh, Lordy! All I could do was play Solitaire! Of, course he knew how stubborn I was and how logical...and counted on the combination.  ;D ;D ;D With no one to come over and fix anything, I emailed him and he called. Then when I started sending SOS emails less and less often, he started ignoring them...knowing one would follow that said, "Never mind...I got it." It's a decade and a half since I bought my first lap "to play games on"....like Myst and Magik Shop. Now, once in a while I whine and Kirk just laughs.  :-[

You are a natural teacher. I have Picassa and am fine with emailing smaller pictures. What I couldn't do was get them to Internet sites. Not sites like Facebook because I don't much care for them, but to WWU, specifically, to share with my e-family. I so appreciate your help with that! On Monday night I am taking a class in Audacity... "just because."  Sending love...

LaurieS

Audacity the sound editing program?  Cool... while I can get around on the computer pretty well I'm often stumped with my smart phone, which is obviously smarter the I.

Glad you're having fun it with it all.

luise.volta

What an understatement..."get around the computer pretty well". I have the phone thing aced! I got a dumb one!   ;D ;D ;D

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on January 28, 2011, 10:07:33 AM
There are so many people in my retirement center that can't turn a PC on and most who have them, can't use them. Their kids set them all up and then when they leave...they flounder, again, and give up.

I log on through this website to hack into dm's computer for around $100/yr.  She's also 83.  It's been money well spent!  This way, she watches what I'm doing while I explain via speaker phone.  She's learned a lot & it really has helped to lower the frustration level, for both of us.  ;D

They offer a 30 day free trial...
http://www.gotomypc.com/remote_access/remote_access

holliberri

Rose,

Thank you for this information; I might have to get it for my GPs and DH so he can lay a foundation for my grandfather, who wants to start a website (totally on his own) for his business. Very good to know!

luise.volta

Kirk has a Mac, now, and I don't. I think when I upgrade, I'll get a Mac, too.

LaurieS

you most likely have remote access capabilities on your computer already.. I know that operating system XP had it and all that followed.  Unless this is something entirely different.. also you can access remote asst through windows live messenger

click on your start button .. look to the right for "help and support" there you should see a screen something like this (below) look for remote assistance.

Holliberri.. if your husband is a geek he's well aware of what he can do

Rose799

Thank you, Laurie!!!  I'm going to check in to that.  Maybe my neighbor will give me a hand with it.  Most of what I've learned came from buying a lemon.  I spent a lot of quality time on the phone with Dell's support team.   ;D

holliberri

So Laurie, what you're saying is that he just goes over my GPs to get away from me? Oh boy.  :D

LaurieS

Well that I don't know.. my fil had his computer so screwed up that we could not do the remote asst with him.. but sometimes it's ok to have a reason to visit.

Hey did your dh ever find that southpark for you?  don't let him forget.

holliberri

He ordered Netflix so I could watch them ALL???

I'm going along with that for now, haha. This weekend sometime.

Faithlooksup

Luise, I am soooo Proud of you!!! ;)  Regarding your
Monday night "Audicaty class"~~you are speaking of becoming more fearless/reckless/daring etc...?

Luise, I had to laugh I went thru the same thing with my son when he set up my 1st computer...A brand New Dell....he did not even read anything, just plugged it all in and told me this is what you do, and then you do this  and then you do that...their are the manuals I gotta go to work now...And he leaves......I Panicked....so the next thing is I called Dell and kept them very very busy for the rest of the day...they probably thought Wheeew who the H*ll is this dummy...so I ran all of my different disc, and got my anti virus going etc.....The next day I gave Dell a break and called my Son about this and that~~then he deceided to quit answering his phone...so I called Dell again...I will never forget those first 2 days learning my new computer........I still have my Dell which of course has been upgrated~~~but if I ever have a problem I just call Dell.......24/7 how can you go wrong with that?

For my photos I have Kodak easy share softwear...the disc walks you thru everything and if any problems arise...you can live chat with kodak 24/7

I do want to get a laptop one of these days....I have been looking at the Sony Vaio lately, but I am certain I will go back to my good ol trusty Dell~~any problems they know I will call......  Thank God for that....

Hugs...Faith

luise.volta