April 16, 2024, 02:40:49 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

DH...

Started by pam1, February 05, 2011, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

I have no idea what you are talking about  :o
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I wouldn't admit to it, eithe even if it were true. In fact, I don't.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

Awwww Pooh.  Your man sounds awesome.

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

LaurieS

Quote from: pam1 on February 06, 2011, 03:49:34 PM
Awwww Pooh.  Your man sounds awesome.

I'll second that.. he does sound great.. hey pooh you never said how you get along with his parents? 

Pooh

He unfortunately lost his Dad to Alzheimers in 2003, before I came into the picture.  But his Mother and I get along great.  She is about 4'11" and a spitfire.  She was a Dean of a very well known local religious university and raised two wonderful Sons, and 2 daughters.  She has an Einstein intelligence paired with a spunky sense of humor.  Plus years of dealing with every excuse and prank in the world by college students, makes it very hard to pull anything over on her.

I think the biggest compliment came after I had been to about 3 family things while we were dating.  She had kind of grilled me a couple of times, as she is very protective over her kids, but in particular my DH.  I always answered her honestly and she looked at me and said, "You know.  I don't know you very well yet, but I can tell two things.  You look me in the eye when you are talking to me and that speaks volumes of your character, and I have never seen my Son so happy as he has been the last few months.  So that is good enough for me."

Now, she is one tough lady, but full of humor, love and respect.  I couldn't ask for a better MIL.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

What a great story! I love it!  :D

Pooh

Luise, you would love her.  She has a long driveway, so one day I stopped at the bottom and picked up her newspaper.  When I walked in and handed it to her she said..."Uhhhhhh....Ohhhhhhh...you are going to be in trouble.  The grandkids bring the paper in, and I give them a dollar!"   DH about died because he knew that his Mother was trying to tell me nicely to leave it next time.

The next time I was over, I did it again but walked straight in, held it out and said, "Where's my dollar???"

She looked shocked then burst out laughing.
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Oh, I LOVE that!  ;D ;D ;D

Pooh

She's a hoot, and no, I don't bring it in anymore.  I just wanted her to know that I heard her.  But DH says I am the only one that has ever got away with things like that.  She will not let anyone help her in the kitchen, but she will let me when I ask.  But I noticed her daughters just go in and start doing things without asking.  I always walk in and say, what can I do to help you?

She's tough, but not unreasonable.  She just wants respect first, then gives it.  Oh my...what a concept.
Joseph Campbell