March 28, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Thanksgiving Plans?

Started by 2chickiebaby, October 27, 2009, 02:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

What are everyone's Thanksgiving plans this year?  I think I've told you mine but I'd love to hear what yours are. 

AnnieB

My mother (82), my  son (h.s. senior) and I are going to my 2nd son's wife's mother's house. Only an hour away.  I am making three pies -- apple, pumpkin and peanut butter (grandson's favorite) 

This will also be my son and DIL's 1st anniversary - I have spent some time with her mother and father, so I expect this to be fun.   They are a much livelier group than we are!

My 1st son and family live abroad (the wife is not speaking to me anyway).  They don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so they won't even feel left out though in previous years we've done a Skype greeting and spent time with them. 

They were stateside earlier this year (before the problem) and didn't bother to come visit and meet the new sister-in-law and family, so I guess it's no big loss to them.

2chickiebaby

Anna, I didn't know you had Thanksgiving in Canada, course I didn't know you lived in Canada  ;D

I love it when there's a new baby to love.  It seems like that makes everything more joyful.  Maybe the whole world has Thanksgiving!!!  Who knew?  :D

Ihopeuknow

We're doing Thanksgiving at my parents with my two younger siblings (both still at home).  In years prior we did Thanksgiving at my parents and then spent the weekend with the ILs.  I don't think that's how things will go this year.  I'm going to try to convince my husband that we should at least go and spend the day with them, but it's up in the air. Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday <3

2chickiebaby

oh, Annie!  We're pie lovers here.  I don't know what we're bringing to close DILs but oh my gosh, I hope it's not my cornbread dressing!!! I'm sure I'll be bringing my candied yams. The Cornbread dressing is too much trouble.

I just pray that I can make it through....! If distant DIL is the least bit kind, ever, I fall for it and boy, do I pay for it later.  Must do the dance of the eggshells.  I wish I could knit or crochet.  Double Dadgummit!!!!!!   

Pen

2 chickie, I found this cool hoop crochet thing at Joanne's or Michael's a couple of years ago. I don't knit or crochet but I can do this! Even my developmentally disabled daughter can do it :) Anyway, it's something to do...check it out.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

2chickiebaby

Okay!  I'll give it a try....anything to make me look at something else. 

2chickiebaby

Second Monday in October.  That is so interesting......I love hearing about other countries.  We're kissing cousins, though!! 

2chickiebaby

AnnieB...this breaks my heart for you!!  I've had a DIL to come here to our town and not even call for us to see the grandkids.  I know how this hurts. You are so strong.....!!

Pen

AnnieB, I almost said 'I can't believe they did that' but that's not so true anymore after hearing all the stories on this site.

Our daughter is coming for the day, maybe the night. I do all the cooking with a little help from her (she's dev disabled.) Last year son & DIL came by after having a big feast at her folks, but I can't picture that happening this year. My daughter only gets to see her brother on major holidays so that's sad for her. We'll see - if it's just the 3 of us that's OK.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

2chickiebaby

I'm so sorry, Penstamen!!  I know how you feel....really, a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving that I envisioned hardly ever happens to anyone, I don't think.

Did I tell you that we had Thanksgiving breakfast here one time so we could fit ourselves in? 

2chickiebaby

10 minutes?  That's amazing.....

AnnieB

I'm going to focus on who is at the dinner -- it should be fun and the food will be good, there will be 9 of us at least, so I am happy :)

2chickiebaby

Anna?  They never showed up?  That's so sad.  I have a friend who is constantly trying to show me how to act with distant DIL and not allow the bully to get away with it. 

I don't get it.  I can't. I'll either learn or I'll keep having this happen.

just2baccepted

We'll be spending it alone.  This will be the first year.  My family is very fractured.  Drug abuse, criminal activity, marital affairs, health problems.  You name it.  So we chose to spend it alone then expose ourselves to my dysfunctial family.  If my mom wants to come over she can.  She was going to cook for my sister and her DH, but he's in jail and probably will go to prison because he and his brother robbed a guy at gun point to get their crack money.  Maybe prison will get one dysfunctional person out of my life.