April 16, 2024, 02:52:48 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I don't understand my adult children

Started by pcbd1234, January 22, 2011, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

kathleen

Luise, you've had a wonderful and very full life of caring for other people.  You are very insightful and leave a lasting impact.  I am sorry about your Depression childhood; my mother had one, and chose lifelong bitterness rather than going outward.  She was never particularly interested in anyone but herself.  Still, she was a good mother in terms of physical care and I honor her for it; to her, being able to go shopping was a very big deal because she had so little growing up.  You bootstrapped your emotions up, and your inner spirit was too strong to be broken by the bad things in your childhood.

I like all the fives.  Is it a lucky number, do you consider at this stage? 

Pooh and I like five Margaritas.

Thank you for sharing, what a great writer you are also.

Kathleen

luise.volta

Thank you!  :) I honestly think sometimes that we know on some level what we came in to do. For me, it has been to deal with and get past whatever comes between me and my deep sense of joy. Even when I didn't know that, I yearned for it...not to "find" happiness externally in people, places and things but to identify and express what I carry in my heart.

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

jill

What an interesting life you have led, Luise.  I have to say I still sometimes wonder "Why am I here". I do wish I had more of your outlook on life.  However, on looking back, I have accomplished a lot of what I wanted to do, except of course having a close-knit family....Jill

luise.volta

I think I will ask my DIL, who know numerology, what the number represents. Be right back.  ;)

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on January 25, 2011, 07:14:41 PM
I think I will ask my DIL, who know numerology, what the number represents. Be right back.  ;)

Ok, seriously Luise...I'm still waiting on what our number 5 means? La la la la la la la la
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

penelope

pcdb1234~ you stated your sons been to Afghan 5 times,as a military mother myself,and my sons been to Iraq and Afghan,your son may be suffering from P.T.S.D.. Post Treamatic Stress Disorder,there are so many of them coming back with it,it's a very serious form of depression and alot of times goes undetected becouse they are embarrassed to admit it...please read up on it if you can~I've seen and heard of so many stories where these guys come home and cannot reajust to civillian life or our problems~Thank Your son for me and from one military mom to another~BIG HUGS~

luise.volta

It (5) means" Progress, Reward, and Change! Flexibility.

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on January 26, 2011, 09:40:48 AM
It (5) means" Progress, Reward, and Change! Flexibility.

...as in being a survivor~

Thank you, Luise, for sharing your experiences.  I don't believe I would ever tire from asking you questions.  How much free time have you got?  : )   I love your sage advice & open heart.  You can add teacher, counselor & dear friend to your resume.   You went far, far from being an underachiever.   You are a diamond, if ever there was one, Luise.  There are many diamonds in the rough on this site.  I hope to be one some day...when I grow up.   : )

We've all benefited because you opted to remain useful in your retirement.  Your silliness truly helps me get through the day at times.  Thanks so much!

Rose

p.s.  You forgot to update us on Val & me, too...

luise.volta

:D Thank you! Val and Me, Too are hanging in. Both are close to the end but both seem to have plateaued for the time being.

In early December, Me, Too's left lens ruptured and painfully brought instant blindness in that eye. Steroid eye drops, that I just happened to have because of my cornea transplant in August, saved the day and he is without pain. I take him over to nursing to see Val every day and the three of us walk in the hall where everyone makes over both of them. :-)

I thought about the underachiever-thing when I won the Bank of America local hero award last fall against over 330 other candidates of all ages for my Web-work. There was a $5,000. grant to my favorite charity (the Warm Beach Retirement Center's Good Samaritan Fund for residents in crisis) that went with it. I thought my knees would knock when I gave my acceptance speech...but it was OK. I was silly as well as serious and they all seemed to enjoy it. Somewhere on WWU I published the press release and my speech.

Rose799

That's a big load that you're carrying, Luise.  I'm really sorry.   It's nice that you're nearby to be able to spend time with your hubby daily.  And the two of you are excellent therapy for him.  How old is Me, too?   

I had read about your award but didn't know you were up against so many candidates.  That's quite an accomplishment, indeed!  Hip, Hip Hooray!  Great job!!!

You're in my thoughts & prayers,
Rose

luise.volta

Me, Too is 15 and Val is 99. Me, Too is a Chihuahua and weighs 3.5 pounds. If you want to know what kind of mischief I get into in my spare time...read under Grab Bag under Luise;s Romance, if you haven't been following that thread. Life is full of surprises.

I will try to enclose a picture of Val and Me, Too here. Did it turn out?

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on January 26, 2011, 04:45:13 PM
Me, Too is 15 and Val is 99. Me, Too is a Chihuahua and weighs 3.5 pounds. If you want to know what kind of mischief I get into in my spare time...read under Grab Bag under Luise;s Romance, if you haven't been following that thread. Life is full of surprises.

Awe, I see why people make over those two...  That's a great picture.  From what I understand, they're not the only head-turners in the family.  ;) It's sweet that you've remained friends with your old beau over the years.  And you finally got that ring!  ;D ;D ;D