April 17, 2024, 10:53:27 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I won't allow anyone to rent space in my head anymore!!!!!!

Started by katie84, January 20, 2011, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

My mother got me good when she called me one day after I texted her. Is this possible, Katie? I learned after a few times that texts weren't going to work anymore (at least not about serious issues). I don't think that is playing a game, and it prevents any misunderstanding. Could you call her and say, "I just got your text and...?"

I know nothing about Bipolar disorder, so someone who does, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

MrsKitty

I would tell them your screen on your phone is broken and you can't text anymore. Or, your phone service changed and you no longer get free texting, so you are not texting anymore. It seems like the method of your communication is causing a portion of your problem here.

katie84

if I block her texts she will attack me further so thats out. She deleted me from facebook because she saw I asked my own daughter what she wanted to do for her birthday. Its all good ab that because like my son says, I am not her friend or buddy, I am the granma. lol I didn;t want her on my FB where I see my own friends but she sent a request and as the saying goes, I am damned if I do and damned if I dont lol

Pen

So don't block - use one of the great excuses from Mrs.K.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

but don't  screw up and reply to a text your son may send.. it could be here lurking lol

Pooh

I wouldn't lie because to me, lying is really bad and probably goes hand in hand with many of our issues here. (Not us, but the people we are having problems with).  I would tell the truth.  I would call her and say, "I have asked you not to text me because we keep misunderstanding each other's meanings.  So please call me.  And if you do text me instead of calling me, I am not going to answer them."  Boundaries.

I wouldn't make excuses because personally, I feel many of my problems with my DS and DIL are due to lying and excuses.  I have always prided myself on being truthful.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

katie84

if i call, she does not answer. she only texts :(:( but if I don't answer because I am working, she freaks out and thinks I am ignoring her. What has happened to this world of technology? It eventually will become a mute country lmao if everyone doesnt speak and only texts :):)

katie84

holliberri

I don't think you have a choice but to totally ignore her texts, whether she freaks out or not.  You can only continue to be a target by reacting; and it doesn't sound like she's looking for attention if she won't answer your calls. So sorry.

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on January 21, 2011, 10:56:32 AM
I wouldn't lie because to me, lying is really bad and probably goes hand in hand with many of our issues here. (Not us, but the people we are having problems with).  I would tell the truth.  I would call her and say, "I have asked you not to text me because we keep misunderstanding each other's meanings.  So please call me.  And if you do text me instead of calling me, I am not going to answer them."  Boundaries.

I wouldn't make excuses because personally, I feel many of my problems with my DS and DIL are due to lying and excuses.  I have always prided myself on being truthful.
darn I hate when Pooh hits us with the right answer

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

LOL.. but that is exactly how it's being used.. and this completes the circle.. so is that proper grammar?  It just about drives me over the edge when I hear people saying this.. except for you Pooh :)  Now be nice before I tell your hubby that you are only jumping him all weekend in order to get your house cleaned. 

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Like I said... my dh came home so grumpy last night.. He called a while ago and said that he's in a much better mood.. I said good because it's just you and the dogs at home tonight for dinner.. and the dogs will greatly appreciate it.

I'm in the process of getting dressed and out the door to meet up with DD and her BF, they want me  to see his apt and to meet his dog.. lol.. his dog.. great

luise.volta

Communicating face to face also takes courage, for me. I was pretty disgusted with myself when I realized I hid behind email and Voicemail...both of which are totally unilateral. All I knew was win/lose...no skills at expressing, confronting or negotiation. Tough stuff and I'm still learning. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama