March 29, 2024, 12:13:42 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I won't allow anyone to rent space in my head anymore!!!!!!

Started by katie84, January 20, 2011, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

Quote from: MrsKitty on January 25, 2011, 10:40:31 AM
Quote from: katie84 on January 25, 2011, 09:36:05 AM
because as he said "i like sex mom and if i say anything she withholds from me"....OMG!!!!!  I told him "use the ball's God gave you and stand up for yourself". This chick is unbelieveable!!!!!
Your son should not be discussing his sex life with you--he should be discussing it with his wife and his therapist. Your DIL has a mental illness and everyone needs to take a step back and treat this as if they would someone who has cancer or diabetes--people don't "mean" to have cancer or diabetes--they just do and they should not be blamed for being ill. My father is bipolar so I  know what I speak of when I say that your son will have a lifetime of ups and downs. But, he said his marriage vows and those include "sickness and health." Your DIL is sick and may never be well. My mother has managed to stay married to my father because she is literally the most patient and understanding person I have ever met. Your DS will face some major challenges in his life and I am glad that the two of them are in therapy--they'll need to stay in therapy (maybe for years), if they hope to someday find some balance. The bad thing about bipolar is, you're never cured--there are always setbacks and re-adjustments of medicine. If your son thinks that she'll eventually be "ok" he's in for a rude awakening. My dad is in his mid-60s and I never have any idea which "Dad" I may see when I see him--the moody one, the fun one, the angry one, the loving one--it is a crap shoot for sure.

Mrs.Kitty, that was an excellent post, and I totally agree!  There is no cure for it, however, there is theropy and medications....which both help...

I'm so glad we've come so far in understanding this disease, years ago, they would institutionalize people for this...and have renamed the disease so as not to make it sound so bad as it was originally called, manic depressive illness...it is serious and very difficult to deal with....and the son involved here should be doing everything he can to read up on it so to understand it, knowledge is power...but what bothers me is the fact that they are having children, as it is heriditary....genetic, isn't it?