March 28, 2024, 06:00:14 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

'Count your blessings...'

Started by forever spring, January 18, 2011, 11:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Quote from: Laurie on January 19, 2011, 11:53:58 AM
Quote from: Pooh on January 19, 2011, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Scoop on January 19, 2011, 11:05:12 AM
I can see where your intentions were good, but that they didn't appreciate being told about so-and-so's GREATER problems.  To me it would be like coming on this board and saying 'Well, you can't complain, at least you GET to see your GK's!"

I do say that...well not exactly like that.  More like, "It may not be the ideal situation, but at least you are getting to spend some time with them and see them.  I would love to see mine."

I don't see anything wrong with the gentle reminder such as what you say Pooh.. I've always taken it that you in part were reminding yourself as well.

Thanks Laurie.  It is also a reminder for myself as well.  But, I am totally guilty of saying things like that to others, on here and in my personal life.  I will say, "Just think, it could be worse, you could be out of a job."  I am guilty.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Oh, gosh, me, too. Are we supposed to be able to take our own advice? :o
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on January 19, 2011, 01:02:30 PM
Quote from: Laurie on January 19, 2011, 11:53:58 AM
Quote from: Pooh on January 19, 2011, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Scoop on January 19, 2011, 11:05:12 AM
I can see where your intentions were good, but that they didn't appreciate being told about so-and-so's GREATER problems.  To me it would be like coming on this board and saying 'Well, you can't complain, at least you GET to see your GK's!"

I do say that...well not exactly like that.  More like, "It may not be the ideal situation, but at least you are getting to spend some time with them and see them.  I would love to see mine."

I don't see anything wrong with the gentle reminder such as what you say Pooh.. I've always taken it that you in part were reminding yourself as well.

Thanks Laurie.  It is also a reminder for myself as well.  But, I am totally guilty of saying things like that to others, on here and in my personal life.  I will say, "Just think, it could be worse, you could be out of a job."  I am guilty.
I've never felt slighted by you saying this.. and you've said it to me if I'm not mistaken.  Just yesterday you said "Just think Laurie it could be worse, you could be ravaged  by your husband day and night, and swept off your feet at any moment."  Yep I think that is what you said.

forever spring

Thank you so much for your replies. It seems to me that I too should count my blessings more, because to date I can see the GKs. That's been really good advice. And the quote by Plato was most useful. If they perceive their situation to be hard, it is hard. Period.
When I appear on their doorstep, I have had a good night's sleep which can't be said about them.
I only thought that it would make them feel better to focus on the good things they have in life right now. Clearly they are just not able to do it at this point in time.
What I get from some of your replies is that I should try and be more patient with their situation at the moment. I believe in the strength of my DS and DIL and that they will snap out of it, when things have got into some kind of routine.

Thanks also for the encouraging words, I still feel like an ogre, but maybe now more like Shrek!  ;)

For myself your response has helped me to see myself more in relation to them and for the time being acknowledge their woes in the hope that in the fullness of time they will be able to sit back and from the bottom of their hearts (without M/MIL telling them) to 'count their blessings'.
Thanks WWU community!
Chelms

Pooh

You are doing a great job chelms!

No Laurie, I said, "Just think Laurie...it could be worse...they could ban vinegar."
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on January 19, 2011, 01:05:39 PM
Oh, gosh, me, too. Are we supposed to be able to take our own advice? :o

I personally didn't see that in the forum rules!  :o
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: chelmsford36 on January 19, 2011, 11:09:24 PM

What I get from some of your replies is that I should try and be more patient with their situation at the moment. I believe in the strength of my DS and DIL and that they will snap out of it, when things have got into some kind of routine.

Thanks also for the encouraging words, I still feel like an ogre, but maybe now more like Shrek!  ;)

For myself your response has helped me to see myself more in relation to them and for the time being acknowledge their woes in the hope that in the fullness of time they will be able to sit back and from the bottom of their hearts (without M/MIL telling them) to 'count their blessings'.
Thanks WWU community!
Chelms

Dang is that what we said.. collectively I guess we are doing something right.

Chelmsford.. one day they may sit back and count their blessings without having to be reminded of it ... when they do, your patience, help, and guidance will be at the top of their list... good for you.

LaurieS