March 28, 2024, 03:29:08 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Patriot Guard Riders

Started by Pooh, January 12, 2011, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

I have been keeping up with the Arizona legislature regarding the funeral protests that has been going on.  I know we steer away from politics, so I am not going to get into that.

But I ran across this group while I was reading some articles.  The Patriot Guard Riders.  I have seen them on television over the years, but never really looked into them.  As I was browsing their website, I started reading their letters of appreciation section and I made it through about 15 of them before tears were flowing down my face.

As the Mother of a Soldier, I am so very impressed with this group and the dedication to fallen Soldiers and their families during the worst times of their lives.  Every one of the members pays their own way and expenses.  They are non-profit and leave their homes for days to do this.  My DH is a Motorcycle Officer, so this also touches a chord with me.  I ordered him a patch they were selling and he is going to be thrilled when I give it to him.

We are all here because we have problems.  Different ones, but problems just the same.  I know I have much to be thankful for in my life, but sometimes, I need to remind myself of that.  It is such a good reminder for me to read about people like this and see how perfect strangers can touch someones life with their selfless acts.  And we are like that here.  We are perfect strangers coming together to help each other.  Each one of you has touched me in some way, and I wanted to take this time to say "Thank You".  Not just to Luise and Kirk for giving us this outlet, but to each and every one of you for being here too. 

We may not always agree, and we may upset each other at times...but the bottom line is, everyone here is important.  We need to remind ourselves of that.

Much Love and Hope to each and every one of you, my on-line Sisters, and Thank You!

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Faithlooksup

BRAVO Pooh~~~~~Yes, we are all sisters on this forum and then we have our Mom.....And being that we are all women we are going to have our disagreements, but let us do so in Love...For we are trying to help one another, not hinder....

No one is better or greater than the other, your way is not better than mine NOR vise versa...But together we can make a difference...and sometimes this is all we may have is just one another....

Sometimes someone may have to pound something into my head for the light bulb to finally go on....Sometimes I may have to do the same....but again we are doing this in Love.

Don't be rude there is no reason for that at all on this site.

You all mean the world to me as well.......Faith

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

They have a website but I feel the need to warn anyone that decides to go look.  If you go to the "Letters of Appreciation", you can't help but cry as you read them to hear how thankful the families were to this group.

I was also amazed at the amount of ceremonies they attend.  On the right hand side, is the active missions.  This morning there is around 30 of them.  What dedication these people have.  I am impressed.

http://www.patriotguard.org
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

penelope

awww pooh big,big hugs from a military mom to another~Tell your son I said Thank You~ and Thank You to you....I have had the honor of standing side by side with the Mich Patriot Guards,we were keeping a local fallen hero from being subjected to protest by a church~I met the chapter pres and he handed me a card and said if I ever needed anything for any reason do not hesitate to call,he had never served but felt his duty to stand up for fellow Americans,I cried...they are a wonderful group of ppl~I like to think of them as Angels among us~

Pooh

Thank you. They sure seem to be.  I got the patch I ordered for my DH and not only was it beautiful and my DH thrilled with it, but they enclosed one free for me.  I had told them on my email that my Son was in the Military and my DH an Officer, so they sent us both one.  How nice was that?

Thank your Son for his service as well and big hugs right back at you!
Joseph Campbell

penelope

thats sweet~I have all my sons patches he's earned over the years,I'd like to get a display for them~I have no patches...however I did get my first tatoo about a yr ago,the crackhead (DH) and I,went to by a snowblower one day,came home with no snowblower but new tatoos!!! hahaha so on the back of my neck it says MOM...the o is the E.G.A and underneath it says..PROUD MOTHER OF A MARINE, and one of my dh nicknames is crackhead,so I'm not being mean,he sometimes calls me gooner!!! hahahaha

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

penelope

dh and I are doing a bootcamp class together,if we live to the end we are rewarding ourselves with new tatoos...lol I want something with my sons names and to remember my db&ds bye...and put it where it can be covered up. My oldest had one put on his forearm,I wanted to beat him,he had a k-bar knife done,but the artist must not have known what one was becouse it looked like the knife from princess aladan movie!!! hahahaha he tried to get it covered,now it's a big black sguigglly cross...hahahaha he's a big time golfer so imagine what they think when they see this 6'4'' guy with tatoos!! hehe he's a very clean cut looken guy but still...and he had our last name put on his upper arm by his shoulder..lol I said is that for if you get lost!!! lol I told dh to get my name,he said what for I'm trading you in!!! hahahaha

LaurieS

My son hit me three days in a row with  "what would you think if I got a tattoo" Finally I asked where was it and what was it.. he asked how did you know.. do they think we are really that dumb.. his is upper arm a dragon.. like the Japanese are not weary when he heads for the public baths already.. white guys with tattoos are taboo.

holliberri

I got to see the Ohio Guards when my friend was killed in a Blackhawk crash in 2007. It was amazing.  Since then, his father has joined the group, and spends his time doing that.  I thought that was a beautiful way to honor his son.

penelope

holliberri,I'm so sorry about your friend~and yes what a wonderful way for his dad to honor him~my son is aircrew cheif of a CH-53,a few months back there was a crash near where he is,the media went on for hrs about it but never stated what type of helicopter,just 9 troops killed,no branch,nothing....and we had not heard from our son...it was truely the longest day of our lives,my son went to our store to see if our dil had heard anything,she just said no and walked away...my ds is 22 and had to keep from crying,my 16 yr old ds was very quiet all day,as for dh and I we cried...and cannot imagine what those parents go thru,but my heart goes out to them and I pray for them always~military or not...no parent should know the pain of laying a child to rest~our neighbors son was killed in Afghan a few months ago,I didn't know him but my sons did,one day while on a hike my dh and I ran into a friend,she introduced her friend then said this is the fallen Marines mom,I stood frozen and didn't know what to say at first,then we said our condolences and finished our walk,I felt guilty becouse my son is still alive~we can never show how much we appreciate all of the service men and women past and present do for us~my tat was my little way of honoring my Marine,that and our house and trucks are plastard with Marine stuff~OOHRAH!!

Pooh

It is so tragic, all these funerals for such young men.  I am very proud of my YS, but I have had to erase from my mind the worries and "what ifs".  He has been in training for 14 months as an EOD (bomb guy) but two weeks ago, he had to DOR because his knee wouldn't take the weight of the bomb suit for 5 hrs straight.  He was so depressed because he wanted that so bad and had done so well, had a 94 avg and never double-tapped a test in a field that has a 80% failure rate (40% at the first 24 week classroom training, and 40% at the hands on).  I kept telling him that everything happens for a reason and something great was going to come out of this...just wait and see.  Of course he was listening, but I am sure he was thinking "Yeah, well that's what Mom's are supposed to say."  He did tell me that he wanted to stay in and was waiting for paperwork to reclass.  He also warned me that when they do that, whatever jobs were available that day, he had to choose one, even if his only choice was infantry.  So I have been on the phone with him many evenings the last couple of weeks.

So, his paperwork came through yesterday, and although I can't share what he is now going to be doing, they made him an offer for something that he is very excited about.  I think he is actually more excited about this new challenge than he was about EOD.  He is going through all the paces right now and will be moving to a different base in the next 4 weeks, into this new training.  I am very happy and excited for him, but now I have to go buy a new eraser and clear out my brain again.  It may take two of them this time!

I have 2 tattoos...Lol.  One I got when I was 30 on a girl's night out.  I had always wanted one but waited until I was old enough to say, "Yep, I still want it so I'm getting it."  I wanted it somewhere that it wouldn't show unless I wanted it to.  So I got it on my right shoulder, more towards the middle of my back so I can still wear sleeveless dresses and shirts and you can't see it.  It is a "Pooh"...ha ha ha.  He was my favorite childhood fav.  Then last year, I designed one that had meaning to me and DH and had it done on my lower back (affectionately known as the tramp stamp area...lol.)  It is the word VELCRO, but the V is a heart with the law enforcement "thin blue line" running thru the middle, the L is a penguin (my fav animal and our 2nd date) and the O is a daisy, my fav flower and the flowers he showed up with on our first date....yeah yeah...I'm warped!
Joseph Campbell

penelope

I would love a tramp stamp as they call them..to much back fat:) yours sounds really pretty,my sil was a police officer in WI,she went to a B&E alone and was jumped by several guys,they almost beat her to death so she got out~I think officers deserve as much respect and attention as the troops do~I'm so happy for your son,like you said it worked out even better~my son was almost a grunt,but his recruiter really liked him pulled some strings and got him his MOS,he claims he's not re-inlisting,I know he's not a college type guy so I wish him the best,not alot of work for helicopter mech/50 cal gunners in the civillian world:b I just wrote his wife a message and him,apologizing for my part in the mess,and told him all I want is to be a close happy family again~so wish me luck~after reading all the post,I need to fix this before it gets worse,so I owned up to my part and said sorry,I made sure not to point out their mistakes so it didn't turn into a finger pointing match~I have always lived by lifes to short~maybe I should live by those words a little harder~ Have a great day~