April 18, 2024, 09:11:53 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

losing weight

Started by erma, January 09, 2011, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erma

made it through my first day. i wrote everything down, i didn't eat any white food......exercised a little. goal for today, work on portion size!!!!!! gawd, i could eat my arm off today!!
ok, on with today!!  8) ;D 8)

luise.volta

Took my little dog to the vet and thought I would be driving home alone. She's monitoring him closely and said, "Not quite yet, but soon." Ate everything in sight.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I was going to start with you guys yesterday, but I live in the South where we got hit by a snowstorm (ended up with 9" of snow here) that kind of crippled us.  I worked 14 hours yesterday and will be 12 before I am over today.  Because of that, we have had a ton of food here for everyone and I was not going to kid myself.  I have eaten everything in sight!  So, I will try to start when I know I can actually do it!

Luise, so sorry your baby is sick and I hope everything turns out well.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

erma

sorry to hear about your lil doggie luise. mine are like my kids. we lost our 17 yr old chow mix last year. so, so hard. i inherited another 2. so now,  2 dog, 2 cats. so i do really get some exercises just sweeping up hair every day!! ;D 8)
to cold to exercise out today, -5  with wind chill!!!  buuuurrrrrrr!

LaurieS

Quote from: luise.volta on January 11, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
Took my little dog to the vet and thought I would be driving home alone. She's monitoring him closely and said, "Not quite yet, but soon." Ate everything in sight.
Oh Luise, I hope he's ok... that dog is like a child to your husband from what you've said.  Tell Me-Too that we are pulling for him.

luise.volta

Hope

Luise - give You Too a hug from me - and I hope it helps to get him better real soon. 
I love this topic - losing weight.  I could stand to lose about 20 pounds.  I'm 5' 3.5" and weight about 145 pounds .  I usually wear a size 8, but they are getting really snug.  I hate to exercise - really bad.  I use to love to exercise when I was young and had some energy.  Until I was somewhere in my forties I would sleep like a rock and wake up so energized I literally jumped out of bed and didn't stop all day till it was time to hit the sack again.  NOT ANY MORE!  In the past I did well with diet workshop, but they are phasing out in my area and I don't think there are any more places to meet.  I still have the materials and study them from time to time.  Last summer I made a promise to myself that I would really lose those extra pounds and stuck to the plan pretty well - till I got too busy to plan my meals closely.  To lose weight, you really need to plan your meals in advance and eat healthy.  Diet Workshop taught me to eat low cal foods between meals to stave off the hunger.  When I was most successful losing weight, I was never hungry b/c I would always snack on low cal, healthy foods.  Luise - I use to be a members of Curves, too.  I even dreaded doing that.  Finally I had to stop going b/c I tore my rotator cuff and had to rest my arm.  Now my rotator cuff is better, but I have no desire to join Curves again.  I bought a Wii and Wii fit b/c I thought it would help me exercise.  It worked for a few months - then I stopped when we went on vacation and rarely went back to it.  That was a waste of money!  We have a gym where I work - but it isn't getting used by me!  I need some motivation.  Help!
Hugs, Hope

luise.volta

Well. Curves isn't for everyone...but it's a way to get me out. And I like the music and the women there. Ours has a free clothes rack and a free book exchange and we do donations to the food bank and school supplies to kids.

I have eaten wisely today...Ta-da!...and I signed up for skating lessons! (First lesson, how to fall.)

Current plan...Curves - Monday and Friday...Tuesday and Thursday "Sit Aerobics class here" (stretching) and Wed. and Sat. skating.

Sunday, I probably won't be able to get out of bed!  :( To avoid that possibility, I will start slowly adding one thing each week.

erma

ok, day 2......made it through. although i did not eat any carbs, i ate way too much! i had 5 bowls of beans!!!! lordy! i haven't had that much fiber in a long time apparently!! good thing hubby worked late!  8)
im not feeling as hungry today.......hopefully the temps will warm up here today. 0 degrees at the moment......need to get outside and walk! :P
have a great day ladies! here's to seeing less of us!!!!

Pooh

Erma, be sure to have some carbs.  When I did the low carb, with a nutritionist, he cautioned me against "no carbs".  He said that your body needs them for energy, so you need some or in a few weeks, you will crash.  Basically, when your body doesn't have carbs for energy, it starts eating your fat for them.  That's why we lose weight.  You have to have some carbs to balance that effect because fat doesn't give us as much energy.  That is why he recommended we lower our carbs, but not do without them.  That way, our body gets correct energy but still num-nums our fat!

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

erma

luise.volta

Yes, carbs are necessary but they need to be fresh fruit and fresh vegetables...not the breads, potatoes, pastas and deserts stuff. There are simple and there are complex carbs. Very, very different.

LaurieS

it's all so complex to me

luise.volta

cadagi101

Quote from: erma on January 12, 2011, 08:09:16 AM
ok, day 2......made it through. although i did not eat any carbs, i ate way too much! i had 5 bowls of beans!!!! lordy! i haven't had that much fiber in a long time apparently!! good thing hubby worked late!  8)
im not feeling as hungry today.......hopefully the temps will warm up here today. 0 degrees at the moment......need to get outside and walk! :P
have a great day ladies! here's to seeing less of us!!!!

Erma, what type of beans???how can you eat 5 bowls of beans eeewww.      scrambled, marinated, or baked beans...