March 28, 2024, 03:02:49 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I HAVE to lose some weight.

Started by LaurieS, January 05, 2011, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Have any of you ever tried using Green Tea type supplements?  I have been reading up on them and many people recommend them for boosting metabolism.  Anyone had any luck with those?

I used to be a huge exercise guru, but after 2 torn achilles tendon surgeries, I can't do much walking for long distances (so treadmills, hill hikes, etc. are out for me).  That's my worst issue.  I want to exercise more, anything outside of 20 minute flat walks is beyond me.

And Kathleen, loved your suggestions.  One of the things I used to do was hit the High School outdoor stadium.  Old softball trainer always had us doing up-and-downs on stadiums.  Up one side, across...down the next aisle...repeat.  All the way down the stadium then start again.  We would do 10-20 of those, depending on how mad he was at us  ;D. Those gave you everything in one workout.  Cardio, incline, and a very nice bum.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

I don't know Pooh my dd was a collegiate softball player and doing all those benches took a toll on her.. I went to watch a game... there was probably a 2.5 month lapse since I had last seen her.. and I thought  I had given birth to a Sumo wrestler.  She was  so bulked up (I  guess her coach was always mad at them)... He took her from 132lbs to over 150.. and went from stealing bases to getting caught off base because it effected her speed so much. On the upside..she had more butt to put  behind the bat.  After playing, she lost 20 lbs almost overnight.. I took her to the dr.. and he said it was just the massive muscle loss.. she is now a healthy trim (never dainty) girl who has arthritis in her hip.

My mom did green tea with (you're not going to believe this) a tablespoon of vinegar added.. she claims that she shed 30lbs...I've taken vinegar tablets but failed to see any weight aid.

kathleen

Hi Pooh,

I just make a gallon of green tea in my giant Ikea tea pot and drink it all morning while writing.  I question if supplements would be as potent.  I really question whether it would boost metabolism.  But no harm trying.

I know I know, the hub caps keep falling off don't they?  I have to watch my knees and heel spurs when I'm doing my treads.  Just got a new pair of Easy Spirit shoes and what a difference on my feet and joints; I always tell my Easy Spirit lady that if she closes her store, I'll have to go barefoot; I have funny feet and no other shoes ever fit.  To date my knees/feet aren't acting up after six weeks on the tread.  Keep your fingers crossed.

I do think it is virtually impossible to keep up with all of the health edicts the media and the medics put out.  A few years ago in the Canada Globe & Mail (national newspaper,) a woman wrote a comedy of New Year's resolutions simply repeating all the health rules, and it took up an entire half page of space.  It was really hilarious and showed that even trying full-time 24/7, you cannot keep up with it at our age.  It also showed there are a lot of conflicting pieces of advice.  (You know, one day they are telling you to eat margarine and then guess what, it causes, not prevents, heart disease.)

I think we have to do what we can, and certainly not injure ourselves trying to keep up an impossible ideal.  I'm never going to be a size 5 again and at times it's destructive trying to get back there.  Accept who we are and not buy into media ideals of impossible perfection.

Love the image of you running up and down the stadium.  I would hate doing that, so different strokes!  So instead of doing it, I'll just imagine you doing it.

Kathleen of the Green Tea

LaurieS

Who was ever a size 5?  My gosh this is insane... I really was born fat :)

Pooh

Had to get that vinegar add in there somewhere didn't you?  ;)

I can see that with your dd, and the arthritis.  Softball was a brutal sport on your body. Never did college ball but played from the time I was 5 until I was 32 and finally figured out my reaction time had slowed and I was going to break something!  I was always underweight through school and my twenties, ate like a pig and never gained an ounce.  When I finished High School ball and wasn't working out like we had been, I dropped about 10 lbs in one week.  And it was definately muscle, like your dd.

And I think like everything else, moderation is the key.  We did way too many of them also, as it was a form of punishment at times.  But they truly were a great exercise and I think if you didn't overdo them, they would be good.  I tried them not long ago, not running them but just walking them and my legs were burning like crazy after going up and down twice (which says how out of shape I am!).  But, my foot couldn't take them and I paid for it later.  Going up and down, jumping or running is a big no-no for me.  But, I am stubborn enough to try anything once!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Oh Kathleen, you are so funny!  I don't like the taste of green tea, so I was trying to wimp out with the supplements.  I agree about the images and I know I will never fit that mold.  But, I also know I could stand to lose some weight for myself.  I too will never be little again, and I wouldn't want to be.  I was truly too little.  For my height and body shape, I look best and like myself around 150.

Laurie, my wedding dress was a size 3 and I weighed 105 pounds! (I am 5'7") Seriously, I was way too thin but couldn't help it.  I ate like a pig, but was so active I couldn't keep weight on!

Not a problem now!!!!!!!!
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Me, too, Pooh, by the time I got married I weighed 87 pounds.  This was way way too thin; I couldn't keep weight on, but pregnancy fixed that.

Now I need to lose weight.  But I'm not going to go back to near-anorexia.

Kathleen

Pooh

And Kathleen, I don't want my hubcaps back.....I WANT SPINNERS!!!!    ;D
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Size 3.. 87 lbs.. what is it with you people... My theme song is now "I Love Big Butts"

Pen

I know anorexia isn't a joking matter (my DM & a dear friend had eating disorders) but sometimes I would like a little anorexia, as Roseanne Barr used to say. She also said that she had "dyslexia anorexia" 'cos she never thought she was fat enough.

Some friends and I went on a workout/diet plan a few years ago...after 6 months of getting to the gym by 5 am every day and eating the 6 small balanced meals per day that the plan outlined, my friends were svelt and toned and I.....looked exactly the same. I did feel stronger and more fit but no evident change in my looks or BMI. Oh, my bra straps stayed up better 'cos my shoulders were toned. That was nice.

DH & I used to be pretty active but for one reason or another we haven't been doing our usual sports lately except for one or two,  ;)  Gotta get moving, spring will be here soon!

Laurie, I can't remember ever being a size 3! Not even when I was 3 years old!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Really I think my diapers were size 3x

Pooh

Ha ha ha.  I love you guys!

I had a friend that had dieted, exercised and tried everything to lose weight.  As a last resort, she decided to see a hypnotist.  He asked her during consultation was there any phobias or a huge fear of something she had.  She told him snakes.  During her hypnotism thing-a-ma-bob, he told her that all bad foods were snakes.

She said it didn't help.  All she could could say was, "Snake meat is dang good!"
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on January 06, 2011, 09:18:47 AM
She said it didn't help.  All she could could say was, "Snake meat is dang good!"
That's funny.. I was raised a meat and starch kinda gal... any starch would do.. My hopefully future dil who is Japanese was obviously raised the same way.. but she is a size 1, until she had to buy a 2 the other day.. pity huh.  Maybe if I ate it with chopsticks.

kathleen

Courtney wonderful dear sugar friend:

Thank you for admitting your sugar/love.  Maybe admitting is not the right word.  Maybe broadcasting is.

How I love sugar.  I could give up most everything in life and live on a sugar island and sweet-treat all day.  I had two grandmothers who lived for sugar.  The first lived in a small apartment containing mostly huge bowls of foil-covered chocolates, hard candies in a rainbow-dazzling array, and multi-tootsies and other fantasy candies. 

My other grandmother was the queen of the home bakery: pies, cakes, and especially cookies and ESPECIALLY Christmas cookies.  No trip to Grandma's house was ever devoid of this fantasy of sugar heaven.  Then my young aunt took over the cake competition and began with fantasy cakes. One of my most graphic childhood memories is of the morning Auntie produced an angel concoction of cloud white frosting on enormous cake, and made the mistake of setting it on the kitchen table.  My cousins were over, and their mother was of the free-spirit variety encouraging spontaneous activity so as not to dampen the "psyche" (that aunt read a lot of psychology books about parenting.)  I stood at the kitchen door watching, mesmerized, in amazement, as my two cousins dipped their dirty little hands into the white frosting and lifted their stolen frostings to their mouths.  My aunt came in and screeched like a mouse had invaded Christmas dinner.  My cousins beat a hasty retreat out the back door to the yard, still licking their fingers.  My mother would have killed me for such an act.

I am so very sorry you do not like fudge.  Fanny Farmer fudge, drenched in butter, was a fixture of my childhood, doled out in fifty-cent allotments from my allowance.  It was pure heaven and nothing like the hard yet gluey stuff that passes today.  Ladies in white distributed it from behind mysterious immaculate counters.  It was a treat just to walk in the door of a Fanny Farmer shop, smell the combined offerings, and see the delights under glass.

And what about Krispy Kreme, speaking of donuts?  And Tim Horton's?  On another list I'm on we had a long discussion of the best of Tim's and guess what, it came down on Tim's Sour Cream Timbits.  The very best in donuts.

Loved your post and your name; if we'd had a girl she would have been "Jennifer Courtney."

See you soon in sugar heaven,

Kathleen

Pen

Sugar makes me very lightheaded and goofy. It lowers my immunity, puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes my joints ache. Yuck! But I do love cheese :)

Usually I eat lots of veg, lean protein, small amounts of whole grains if at all - you'd think I'd be a stick. But if I'm anywhere near a good creamy
Brie or a brick of gjetost, watch out.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb