March 28, 2024, 11:34:19 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Holiday shenanigans

Started by Pen, November 17, 2010, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pen

The house is empty and I have a few minutes to dish. I truly hope everyone survived without too much collateral damage, LOL.

My DIL was awesome! She helped when needed, backed off when not, was kind and respectful to DF & SM. They are smitten, of course. DDD has not had any meltdowns, she's hanging in really well through the changes in sleeping arrangements, etc. DH is behaving himself, too, although I've seen him take a deep breath on more than one occasion.

My DF and SM are still treating me like a moron who's sole purpose in life is to wait on them. They refuse to ask how my career is going, what books I've read lately, or what I think about world affairs, but engaged DH, DS & DIL in those conversations for hours on end. If I mention my job or an interesting book their eyes glaze over and they interrupt me with a request for more tea or whatever. I am reminded hourly that this is how it has been and will be; don't know why I thought it might be different.

This time, though, I have the support of my WWU sisters and I'm truly sailing through it! Late last night when I felt the hint of a pity party starting I re-read some older posts and got my mojo back, so to speak. It still hurts to be dismissed, to feel like I don't have a FOO, to be seen as someone different than I am, to not be acknowledged for the hard work I've done with DDD, etc. etc....but I'm not engaging in anger about it. It's more of a humourous observation, and I honestly feel sorry for them - they're missing out on a lot by their snobbishness.

SM called me her DIL at one point - Dr. Freud in the house?? (She was talking about how lucky she was with her son's wife - "She's good to have as a DIL (awkward pause) ...oh, and so are you."

Have a happy New Year, WW all! "Progress is heaven in twenty eleven!"
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Hope

Happy New Year everyone!
Hi Pen!  I'm so happy for you that you didn't allow your DF/SM to ruin your days - that you looked at them as missing out and I hope you reminded yourself that they are the ones with the problem.  You are the one with it all together - regardless what they think!
I've missed everyone lately.  I have been beyond busy with our ydd's wedding in late November and the holidays. 
I hope everyone had a joyous Christmas/Holiday.
Hugs, Hope

Pen

Hope, so good to hear from you! I hope you've had a little time to catch your breath. Happy new year to you!
-- Annie Gottlieb

Hope

Thanks, Pen.  I'm finally feeling myself again.  Still have all the Christmas stuff up, though.  Have you recovered from your Christmas visitors yet?
Hugs, Hope