March 28, 2024, 11:54:53 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Luise - how is Val doing? How are you holding up?

Started by luise.volta, January 02, 2011, 07:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Hi hope, I didn't want to steal that topic, so I moved your question over to Grab Bag.

It sounds like you are doing really well and lived through what has to have been a horrendous holiday!

Thanks for asking about Val. He is pretty unaware regarding what time it is, where he is, what day it is, or if he has eaten or not...but he knows me and our pup. I take over to see him every day.

I had a strange an wonderful surprise at Christmas. My boyfriend from 1942 who had to put his wife in nursing just 14 hours after I had Val admitted....and who lost her on May 29th...came to WA from MI on his way to CA for the Rose Bowl Parade and Game on Jan. 1. We had a wonderful visit. He is 85 and I am 83.   8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Luise, what a nice surprise for you. It must have been fun to catch up, in a bittersweet sort of way since a lot has changed recently for the two of you. It must be comforting & also rejuvenating to talk to someone 'who knew you when.'
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

It was wonderful although we wouldn't have recognized each other if we'd sat at the same table. I have a picture. I will see if I can download it sometime when I'm feeling brave. ;)

cremebrulee

Luise, that is good news, not only the opportunity to catch up, but also console each other as each of you have gone thru the same issues....

and yes, what a nice surprise...he sounds like a very nice man.

Faithlooksup

Hi Luise,   I am sorry to hear about Val, my Uncle is going thru the same, he is 93 years young.  We live in different states, however I write monthly to him and call him two times a month.  Sometimes he does not know me and thats Ok, and the times he does, well we yak on the phone for at least an hour as if we are sitting in the same room together.  I am looking forward to visiting him this month with a large bouquet of flowers.

Ahhhhhh~~a trip down memory lane, visiting yesteryears with your friend Luise, how truly awesome.  And I do hope you meet up with him again..... ;D

I for one Love trips down memory lane, as a matter of fact this July 2011 I will be attending my "40th" class reunion~(God willing.)  I just cant wait to see everyone 40 years later.  This will be the 2nd one which I have attended.  Just did not make the others~~you know, life, work, children, what have you etc. stopped me from attending and to be truthful it just was not at the top of my list to go.   But this time it is!!! ;)

To rekindle our high school moments together, to check out "old flames" and chat, especially one in particular whom I grew up with on my block, sure do hope he will be attending!!!   He was my first childhood love as a matter of fact...   We hung around a lot together as kids, my first kiss was from him, and he is the first one I bared my breasts too....OOOOOPS~~sorry girls **blush**LOL, but that was it...We were all Catholics so we stayed clean and out of trouble...   I married first to my X and then he married, as far as anything else about him I have no clue...BUT, yes I would Love to see him again and whether he is married or not, ;) I just know my heart will go "flitter-flatter" when I see him... ;)   But I will be cool 8) and a lady, I will NOT show him anything.

Peace and hugs to all...Faith :)

luise.volta

Thanks! You guys are such great cheerleaders! When you're as old and Jim and I are...memory lane can be a hoot. We remember things differently or one of us remembers something the other can't recall. We laugh a lot and we were brought up to be as chaste as you were, F. but I didn't bare my chest because I didn't have one!  :'(Our joke now is we were so young that all we could do was hug...and now we're so old that all we can do is hug.  >:(

Val hasn't been able to manage a phone conversation for about four years. He's 99, which means he's into his 100th year, of course. He like to hold his little dog and he likes to take short walks with us in the halls. Everyone makes over Me, Too (the ancient Chihuahua) and that's fun for Val.

Faithlooksup

Funny Luise!!  I did forget to add that when I was so brave to do that, I was all of 10 years old, I dont even remember if I had a training bra at that time either.  I am even trying to remember just what provoked me to do that  ::)~~that was 47 years ago I dont remember.  I also do remember our parents began to split up our friendship when we were 13, I missed him so much then.  When we went to Highschool we both walked a different route, we would see each other in the hallway going to  classes, sometimes he would not even look at me and I was so hurt, I was so crazy about him.  And then life just went on without him.

And Luise, I have not thought about him until you brought up Jim....Now you have me going on this. will I be able to sleep tonight?  But no matter what, when we meet ol' flames dont we feel young again...*Blush*.............Faith ;D    P.S. Luise,  a word to the wise... Hugs are wonderful its the tongue you have to be careful of.

luise.volta

;D ;D ;D ;D Not to worry; we were both brought up in the mid west and any kind of a kiss is verboten in my situation. Whew!! (I'm too old for this stuff! And he's older than I am!)

I sincerely hope you don't sleep tonight...you deserve a little fantasy here and there.  8)

Faithlooksup

Luise, you are never to old..... :) ;)  I just think it is so awesome that he has suddenly appeared into you life after all these years.....  There is a reason for everything Luise.

However, I did sleep like a baby last night and suddenly went into dream land.  I felt a warm flush as I approached this man, his hands touched my legs, my waist (what is left of it), my arms, my shoulders, my neck, I felt a tingle of embarrassment, a flush upon my face, my breathing became a bit heavier and suddenly he said to me, "Ok mam you are free to board your plane."  Now, what the heck!!!! ???

Remember our War Cry~~~"Its the Year of me."

luise.volta

LaurieS

I wonder if they will allow you to go through the screenings if you don't really have a flight...the things we'll do for a cheap thrill when in our  50's.

Faithlooksup

Quote from: Laurie on January 04, 2011, 09:39:58 AM
I wonder if they will allow you to go through the screenings if you don't really have a flight...the things we'll do for a cheap thrill when in our  50's.
LOL Laurie as I am rolling here... :)  We could always try..(?) ;)  and then on the flip side I dont think I want some strange man touching my 57 year old bod... :-\  and then again it depends on what hormone kicks in at that time as well (for there are some left...) :)

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I just got an email cartoon about that from an insensitive friend. A fat, old lady was smiling at airport security and saying..."Oh, I'm not going anywhere...I just came in to be patted down."

Faithlooksup

Quote from: luise.volta on January 04, 2011, 10:30:31 AM
I just got an email cartoon about that from an insensitive friend. A fat, old lady was smiling at airport security and saying..."Oh, I'm not going anywhere...I just came in to be patted down."
Actually Luise, in this world of ours someday that just might happen, you never know ~~(Ohhhh, not me!)   :-[ But I would Love to be the fly on the wall to see the look on the security persons face who is doing the pat down...