April 19, 2024, 03:10:47 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Luise's New/Old Romance

Started by LaurieS, January 01, 2011, 08:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Us older folks are trying to figure out what we are going to do here at 911.  The new 911 thing is called NG911 (Next Generation 911).  They are in the process of creating the technology to be able to receive 911 texts and videos from phones.  Not only is that going to require us to hire more people (money?) to be able to handle when 42 people text us and send videos of the same wreck, but we have been jokingly saying, "Ummm....is there going to be a class on all the abbreviations and how to figure them out?"  We joke, but it is a reality.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Faithlooksup

Cool Beans Luise~~~so, where is the pix of you and Jim that daughter took??????? 8)

luise.volta

Pooh

Woo Hoo! (Insert wolf whistles and cat calls here...)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

January 13, 2011, 01:21:02 PM #35 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:53:21 PM by luise.volta
 ;D ;D ;D I'm 83 and Jim is 85. We met on a tennis court in 1942 and he took me to his prom (different school) in 1943.  We had a big fight in 1946 when we were both in college (not the same one) because I wanted a "friendship" ring and he didn't think it was a good idea to do anything that formal. ;D ;D ;D

He brought it (the friendship ring) to me and gave it to me this Christmas...2010 More  ;D ;D ;D!Can you see it on my right hand? My birthstone is in the middle, an aquamarine, and his on each side, yellow topaz.

We saw each other once between 1946 and 2010 when I went back to Michigan to my 50th high school reunion. Val and Tina were there and we all had a great time. They were coming out to see us in 2005 on their way to a cruise to Alaska but she became ill and they canceled. He called me when he put her into nursing and I told him Val had been admitted to nursing just 14 hours ahead of her. We were both pretty burned out from care giving but were glad we had been able to do it. Then she died, last May, he called again.

He was here for six days over Christmas on his way to the New Years Rose parade in Pasadena.

Pooh

Oh my gosh that is so cute that he remembered the ring after all these years!  Oh, it's moments like those that we treasure forever.  I LIKE HIM!
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Well, he'd been kicking himself for 64 years!

You guys are such romantics! ;) (Obviously, so are we!)

luise.volta

If I had a scanner, I'd show ou a picture of us in 1946!  ;)

LaurieS

January 13, 2011, 03:51:53 PM #39 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:23:30 PM by Laurie
You can probably get it scanned at a place such as kinko's.. if you mail it to me.. I'll scan it and send it back... good for you.. great picture.. pretty ring

luise.volta

Thank you! If I had your skills I could take a picture of the picture! ;) I used to have a scanner. How can Kinco's scan it into my computer? *Never mind, I won't understand your answer.)  :o

Pen

Luise, thanks for sharing this sweet story with us. What a great photo. Can't wait to see the 1946 version!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Faithlooksup

Oh Luise, I LOVE the picture!!!!!!!  You both are gorgeous~~~and I definately detect romance in your future~~~~~~~I always Love happy endings... ;) ;) ;) :) ;D :-* :-* :-*

Faithlooksup

Love the ring too along with the meaning behind it~~after all these years---he's romantic...and truly a "keeper!!!!!!!"   This is to awesome for words.....Sending Love and Hugs to both of you....Faith :-*

Pooh

I will gladly admit I am a hopeless romantic!  And this one, fits that bill to a "T".  When he comes back, you should buy a pretty prom dress (same color you wore) and have your little studio set up with lights and decorations like your prom in 1943!  Music playing from that time period, some punch and little cakes....ooooohhhhh.
Joseph Campbell