March 28, 2024, 08:54:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Values and Beliefs

Started by luise.volta, December 16, 2010, 07:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Kirk, I have to ask a question.....In the Modified Agreement - Paragraph 4~~last sentence: "Please refrain from promoting political, religious, or spiritual beliefs, as well.   Well, I think we are all a tad guilty of this.  We have all added in a post along the way, "will be praying for you" etc...I even end my posts with, Blessings and Hugs, Faith......So, am I in the wrong by doing this???  Please advise and Thank You. Blessings and Hugs, Faith :)  LOL

I have moved this post to Grab Bag and will try to answer it because Kirk is our Techie. I am the one who put our Agreement together after carefully reading the agreements on other sites. We come from many countries and from differing backgrounds and I feel we just need to be respectful of our broad membership. Multiple religions are represented here as well as members who are atheists and agnostics.

I know that it's a fine line to try not to step on any toes. I, too, have posted "sending prayers"...and have hoped that it would be interpreted as "meditating about your issue" or "thinking of you," if need be. Respect is what works and not assuming everyone is of your faith (or lack thereof) is part of that. This isn't the place to preach or quote from the Bible or other religious works. There is usually a way to say what we want to say if we think about it for a minute.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I will try again. Sending love...(there's a safe one!)

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cremebrulee

Hi Luise,
My spiritual beliefs are who I am, they define me, along with my beliefs about the holidays...I to have written, blessings, or will pray for you, and actually, if that were taken away from me, I wouldn't be who I am.

I realize we all have different feelings and beliefs, and would hope that while I respect the spiritual beliefs of others, in the same, I would hope they would understand mine....

Luise, wishing you and yours a joyous holiday season

Luv ya
Creme

Pooh

Me too.  I have always took the stance that Paragraph 4 meant not to start a big religious, political or spiritual debate.  You know?  Like bashing a President or a certain religion?

I don't think I have ever seen on here where anyone got upset for a praying for you or blessing and that everyone on here understands we all have various beliefs and respect each other for it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I hope I answered the question. I do think we are all doing pretty well with this and interpreting policy well. Our beliefs and values do define us and at the same time I don't see any preaching going on. It's the "my way or the highway"...the "I am right and you'd better get with it" thing that can be hurtful. Sending love...

Faithlooksup

No, I don't get it Luise!!!! Sorry... ;) :D ;D 8)

luise.volta

Really? Or are you kidding?  If you are serious, go to Grab Bag and read the post I wrote on April 17, 2010 called:
"Monitoring and Managing a Web-forum."

Faithlooksup

luise.volta

Pooh

Ok Luise, seriously....do something with her   8)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Like what?   ??? She's irrepressible!

Pen

I love it when we get silly  :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Me, too! Silly is good for the Soul! :P