March 28, 2024, 12:12:02 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Reconciliation with a Friend

Started by kathleen, December 22, 2010, 09:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathleen

MIL's

This morning I was unpacking an old box and found a beautiful Christmas plate I'd forgotten about in our move; actually it had been packed up for some years.  I said to my husband, "Who gave us this?" and he named two friends who, because of a stupid, ridiculous disagreement, had fallen away. 

I got a terrible, stricken look on my face.  I have so much missed these friends.  Many's the time I've asked my husband to call the husband up, as the fight was between the two of them, but he refused.  Stubbornly.  Firmly.  For what I thought was forever.

But yesterday in the mail he got a letter from a brother he hadn't heard from in years.  They, too, had had not a big open falling out but a lot of distance over painful family matters.  Yet my husband once again this Christmas wrote to his brother hoping to hear back, and this time he did.

To my surprise, without my asking, my husband, who was sitting in front of his computer, suddenly and very decisively looked up the number of our old friend.

"Hand me the phone," he said.

I gave it to him.  He called our old friend.  And we are going to get together right after Christmas.  Our friend said, "I've forgotten everything a long time ago."  So have I.

I asked my husband why he suddenly changed in his heart and he said, "Because it felt so good to hear a reply from my brother this year.  Now that I know how that feels, I want to give it to our friend and to you and to me.  And because you were right all along, and he was such a very good friend for such a long time."

It truly feels like Christmas now.  I can't think of a better gift than reviving a very dear friendship.  The wife in the relationship is gone now; we did attend her funeral before the big falling out, where I shed many bitter tears at losing her.  The man in this friendship was a true friend for many years and none of us deserved to lose each other permanently.  Thank heaven we've found each other again, and all over a simple phone call, and because one brother wrote to another in the spirit of the season.

I just had to share this. 

And wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday,

Kathleen

Pooh

Wow Kathleen.  That is absolutely beautiful and I am so happy for you and your DH.  Merry Christmas!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Kathleen, thanks for sharing this. It's a testament to the true spirit of Christmas. Enjoy your reunion!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Nana

Kathleen. 
Love it!
You husband and you are really into the Christmas Spirit.  My husband and I have talked about the case when we have a problem with a friend and distanced ourselves because of it.  We sometimes forget all the good things that we share and all the good that relationship brought to us....just because of a small speck.  We should always give friendship an opportunity if we truly value it.   Christmas Season can do wonders......or disasters lol.

I hope you do see your friend and make up for lost time.

Last night my brother was telling me about his friend that had distanced himself from his brother for many years.  He than got sick....and asked to see his brother.  His brother came to see him and they reconciled....spoke for about two hours.   After the brother was gone, the sick brother died immediately.  He was just holding on to see his brother.   

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

kathleen

Nana,

When positive reconciliation happens, heaven and nature sing!

Kathleen

Nana

Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

cremebrulee

Kathleen, this story of yours was like watching a Hallmark Movie...wonderful...and your husbands reply was priceless...

loverly words...thanks so much for sharing....

Faithlooksup

Kathleen,  Joy to the world...I am so happy for you...As the ol' saying has it.  Christmas is the time for Miracles...and yours are just beginning.....Hugs, Faith

Peace is not a season~~its a way of life.