April 17, 2024, 07:24:44 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

YDD Just Married

Started by Hope, December 11, 2010, 11:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope

Hey everyone.....sorry I haven't been around lately.  Besides the holidays making things extra busy, our ydd just married the love of her life two weeks ago.  It was a beautiful wedding - which she planned in only three and a half months!  They were dating for about four years and since she is 25 and he 27, they felt no need to have a long engagement.  She is working full time and taking 8-9 credit hours toward her Master's right now, yet managed to plan this beautiful wedding.  And she did it below her budget!  The key to her success I believe was that she had the attitude that if everything wasn't perfect, it would be okay.  I questioned her about changing florists b/c the guy she hired had proven his undependability.  She said, "Mom, if he doesn't come through with the flowers, it's okay - we can just get flowers from Sams Club.  Any thing that could go wrong doesn't matter.  All that really matters is that I'm marrying (our new sil)".  It made me so happy to see her maturity and confidence.  You should have seen her glow at her wedding.  I thought she would burst with happiness.  She made a beautiful bride, her husband a handsome groom, and everything was just great.  Their vows were the most beautiful vows I've ever heard.  Their pictures are so gorgeous.....yes, they already got the CD back.  Not only did she plan it quickly, but with good quality everything (except I worried about the florist).  You know what?  The florist came through for us and the flowers were fabulous, except he used the colors she said she absolutely didn't want.  But she smiled and said how wonderful the flowers were and how the florist really came through for her.  I didn't even realize they weren't the right colors until days later when she mentioned it to me.  I just loved her attitude.  Nothing was going to upset her that day:)

Nana

Hope

It is just wonderful...beyond words seeing your children happy and confident.  She is also very mature.....she made a choide to be happy on her wedding day... regardless....and so it was.   I also can read you so happy and bright.... good Hope....you deserve all this because you are great. 

Seeing your children so happy is a wonderful gift which money can buy. 

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

luise.volta

Hi Hope...Missed you! How wonderful to read such a success story! Sending love...

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Hope, it's so good to hear from you! What a wonderful, heartwarming story - the "anti-bridezilla." This young woman has shown us how to be graceful, loving and happy even during what is usually a stressful, anxiety-ridden time. You did a good job with her, Hope. Congratulations and may the happy new couple be blessed for many years to come.

I'll bet you're ready to put your feet up by a cozy fire (unless it's warm where you are.) You've earned it. Cheers!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

anti-bridezilla

Love it.. I'm going to share her story with  my daughter who lives in her own little perfect world sometimes.  Very happy for you... We must ask.. how does your daughter like her MIL  ;D just  kidding... congrats.. now we'd like to see a photo of the beautiful bride.

Pooh

Congrats Hope on a new SIL.  And very happy to hear about the joyous occasion.  Your YDD sounds like a wonderful person.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Barbie

Hello, Hope.

I'm so happy to hear it all went well. Wishing you the best always.

jill

Dear Hope,
Sounds like a wonderful wedding, all the best to the happy couple and their families...Jill

SunnyDays09

Congratulations to the new couple!!! 

cremebrulee

Hey there Hope  ;D

sending huge hugs and congratulations your way....it was so beyond words of happiness reading your post.  You deserve some peace in your life, my oh my, no matter how old we become, we still continue to learn from our children don't we.  Your daughter sounds wonderful....your very lucky to have her, and so mature....Hope, thanks so kindly for sharing this Great news....it was so good to read you again, especially to hear about such a beautiful wedding. 

Love to you and yours
have a wonderful holiday....
Creme

Hope

Thanks for all your kind words and wishes!  I was so exhausted after the wedding and trying to throw the holidays together - I didn't know if I would ever regain my energy.  You are all so sweet and good to me. 
Luise - how is Val doing?  How are you holding up?
To answer Laurie's question - I think it's very difficult for dil's to adjust to being part of their husband's family.  Both our dd's are caring, but I can see that they prefer to be with their own family.  They try to be considerate about giving their in-laws attention, but I know that our odd sees us more than her in-laws and our ydd's in-laws live out of town, so they definitely see less of them.  But I must say that they are conscious of the fact that they are part of their dh's families.  Our odd invites her dh's family to their house for dinner often and visits them regularly.  She even plans camping events and other activities for them.  Our ydd is so busy with work/school that she doesn't have the luxury of giving much time to either side of the family, but she makes sure they make visits to his family.  I'm proud of them for their efforts and I hope they continue.
Happy new year everyone!
Hugs, Hope

kathleen

Hope,

What a beautiful way to start the New Year for you.  Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through your beautiful daughter's wedding.  Being one who dislikes all the  frills of mega weddings,  I'm especially delighted to learn there are young women out there who don't require massive spending and a Hollywood production.  I bet your daughter's was simply gorgeous, all the more beautiful in its relaxed and calm way.

Please keep us posted, good news is contagious,

Kathleen

Faithlooksup

Hi Hope,    and Congratualtions!!!   Your post was so uplifting I just loved it....Your daughter was getting married to the man she loved and not for the show and expense of it all.

Of course I wish them the very best which life has to offer, however, they already have all that they need and want, and that is their "true love."

Blessings and Hugs to all...Faith

Hope

You women are great friends!  I loved hearing from all of you. 
All the best and hugs, Hope