April 19, 2024, 11:18:19 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Let's Share~~"Holiday Recipes" ~ YUM...

Started by Faithlooksup, December 07, 2010, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

That cake sounds divine.. but I have to ask about the ? mark under the 3/4 cups of water.... Is this like a secret ingredient, does this mean that I can add a little rum to the mix as well.. we'd have to call it the Anti-Dbl A. 

Pen

Quote from: Laurie on December 14, 2010, 01:55:38 PM
I was just thinking about meals around the holidays.. I'm going to have 8 people here for every meal before Christmas, ten on Christmas and 17 on the 27th.  I thought about a pot of chili but two don't like beans.  Spaghetti, but 2 don't like the vegetables.  Stew is out as well.. not sure what I'm going to be feeding all these people.. hmm wonder if Pen would come and make me some tamales.

Yes, I'll come! Sorry, DF & SM, gotta go south to the land of tamales and make tamales...LOL. We make a big pot of seafood chowder (not the white kind, ours has tomato sauce and green chile salsa in it along with potatoes, celery, carrots, onion.) We always get raves, even the year I used a seafood medley from Costco that contained baby octopus. It was a Sunset Magazine recipe a few years back. Anyway, it reheats well and with a piece of crusty La Brea bakery bread (gotta love Costco) it's a welcome light(er) meal during the holidays.

I'm not much of a baker, alas. Have any of you WW ever made persimmon pudding? I'm going to try it this year - gulp.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Octopus - Persimmons ... I don't think so Pen.. I'm not even going to ask what you stuff your tamales with  ;)

Pooh

Hey Laurie, we have the same problem around here.  My DH has a bunch of vegetarians in his family so I figured out awhile back to make multiple spaghetti sauces.  I make 3 different sauces, one with lots of vegetables, one with meat and one just plain and then lots of noodles.  They can put whatever sauce they want.  I also make two pots of chili, one with meat and one without.  I bet you can find a beanless recipe and have two pots. 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on December 15, 2010, 06:25:12 AM
Hey Laurie, we have the same problem around here.  My DH has a bunch of vegetarians in his family so I figured out awhile back to make multiple spaghetti sauces.  I make 3 different sauces, one with lots of vegetables, one with meat and one just plain and then lots of noodles.  They can put whatever sauce they want.  I also make two pots of chili, one with meat and one without.  I bet you can find a beanless recipe and have two pots.
Yeah I can.. I was just being lazy.  My dh went off last night, "why do you have to cater to everyone, you've done this your whole life"... on and on and on.. such a nag. I said ok you're right, I am not making the molasses cookies only one person here eats them.. ohhhh you know it that one person is dh and now his outlook changes.  Go figure huh

Pooh

Ha ha...funny how they change their minds.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

I made 12 dozen of those nasty Christmas cookies that I don't like.  Now I guess I'll need to go buy a sugar crop to come up with the main frosting ingredient.  But I don't frost.. I do the cookie.. I'll make the frosting, but it's everyone else's job to slap them together.
Finally got my dd's agenda last night, she said not to worry mom I'll be home to help you.. I'll come in Monday, oh Tuesday I need to go shopping, would you please go with me.. Yes I know that my grandparents are coming in Wed, but I'm meeting a friend (can you hold dinner for me) Thursday my bf is coming over, he might stay overnight so Friday maybe we and my db can see a movie.  Don't worry mom how long can it take to frost the cookies? (all 12 dozen) Saturday.. oh I'll be home Saturday, it's Christmas.

Good thing she is going to find a day for us.  If only we had that kind of energy.

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

Pen

Wow, I feel so far behind. Luckily DH is baking (I'm hopeless mostly, but I excel at ginger-molasses cookies, LOL!)

Yeah, I vaguely remember having energy. Doesn't it also seem as though we don't have as much time these days?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Yes it does Pen.  I look back now at when my children were growing up, and can't for the life of me figure out how I got everything done.  Working, cooking, cleaning, paying bills, running them EVERYWHERE, family, etc.  Now I don't have a 3rd of the stuff and I don't have any time!  Mind boggling
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Pooh, maybe your mother-in-law helped you get everything done when your kids were growing up?  Just a bad Christmas joke,

Kathleen

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Ok Laurie...you just jinxed me!  That's what I get for laughing at what your DH did.  My DH just texted me and asked if I knew how to make butterscotch/chocolate haystacks!  He said he is craving them!  I hate butterscotch and have never made them.

Anyone got a good recipe for them?
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

Pooh, I just googled them, to see what they might be, and apparently there are chow mein noodles involved.   :o  Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, melted together, and then chow mein noodles stirred in.  Then drop on waxed paper and put in the fridge to harden.  That is so weird, I may feel compelled to make some at some point, lol.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pooh

Thanks Elsieshaye!  I have never made them or had them.  Apparently something his grandmother used to make.
Joseph Campbell