March 28, 2024, 07:43:49 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Let's Share~~"Holiday Recipes" ~ YUM...

Started by Faithlooksup, December 07, 2010, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orly

Easy Crackle Cookies

1 regular size cake mix (lemon, chocolate, cherry flavor....even the Jiffy pistachio flavored one, use two boxes with Jiffy mixes)
1 large or extra large egg
1/2 container Cool Whip (4 ozs needed not the full 8oz.)

Mix all three together (by hand) into a really thick dough/batter....keep working it it does take some time to get it all together.  Form into 1 inch balls and roll these in powdered sugar.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 or 12 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Nuts can be added in the mixing stage if you like or half of one pushed in the top of the unbaked ball ...slightly.    Sometimes I use a small, small ice cream scoop to measure the dough out...just drop the scoops into the sugar and roll.

Pooh

Always a favorite and very simple.

Peanut Butter Cornflake Candy

1 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup
1 1/2 c. peanut butter
5 c. cornflakes

Bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and stir in peanut butter. Stir until peanut butter has melted. Add cornflakes and stir. Mixture will be stiff. Drop on waxed paper to cool.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Pen,

Could you use peanuts added to the peanut butter instead of corn flakes?  I'm not fond of dry cereal---also, is this a hard or a soft candy?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Pooh

Kathleen, if you were talking about the Peanut Butter Cornflake Candy, I have never tried it with peanuts.  It is an in between.  It's not really hard, but more chewy than anything.  You don't taste the cornflakes, just the peanut butter mostly.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Pooh, yes, I was referring to your recipe.  Sorry I got mixed up.

Here is my oldest son's favorite Christmas cookie (or for anytime). It's flourless for those who need gluten-free treats, has no
butter or other fats, has the healthy orange zest, doesn't require a mixer but only a whisk.  Easy, fast and gorgeous.

Coconut Cherry Macaroons

2/3 cups sugar
2 large egg whites
finely grated zest of one orange
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
2 teaspoons pure vanilla (not imitation)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt (I always omit salt, but the recipe calls for it)
3 cups (8oz) shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 340; line baking pans with parchment.

Whisk sugar, egg whites, cherries, orange zest, vanilla,& salt in a large bowl.
Toss coconut with egg mixture until coated.

Moisten fingers with water.   Form one heaping tablespoon of batter into pointed
mounds/pyramids, placing one inch apart on sheets.  Bake until edges are golden
brown and the entire macaroon is lightly toasted, 16-20 minutes.  Transfer to rack
to cool.

LaurieS

Silly question Kathleen

Do you put the cherries or cranberries in, in their dried state, or do you have to soak them first? Like possibly soak them in rum.  I'm not real big on either cherry or cranberry.. do you think I could just add extra orange zest, or mini chocolate chips.. naw don't like the chocolate chip idea, I'm looking for a more adult treat

Pooh

Adult treat Laurie?  Then how about dried prunes?   ;D
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on December 14, 2010, 08:53:28 AM
Adult treat Laurie?  Then how about dried prunes?   ;D
Ok maybe an adult without constipation problems.. but you know then again.. who said that Christmas cookies can't be used for revenge

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

Pooh

This is another easy one I make for the Dispatchers at work.  They love it.  It makes a big bowl full and is very, very sweet.  It looks like Puppy Chow.

People Chow

6 cups Crispix or Corn Chex
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
6 ounces chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar

Melt butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips together in saucepan over medium heat or melt in bowl in microwave. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal in a large bowl. Stir to coat. Put powdered sugar in brown grocery bag or large ziplock.  Pour cereal into bag and shake to coat. Spread out on cookie sheet or wax paper to harden.
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Laurie: You don't have to soak the cherries or cranberries; they soften in the baking.  I don't know about chocolate chips; why not set aside a small amount of batter at first and try it and see?  It should work, then you could add the chips to the whole batter.  You could probably just eliminate the cherries but I love them---they add so much flavor.  Try one or two and see if you don't agree, before adding the whole amount.

As for the rest of the comments, bah humbug.  I don't wish to lose my Christmas appetite, thank you very much!

Kathleen

LaurieS

I need to lose my Christmas or anytime appetite ... I just put cookies in the oven accidentally set the timer for 9 hours not 9 minutes.. this is why I only do one pan at a time :)  I absolutely hate these cookies I'm making they are the bland ones with the frosting on top.. you are suppose to roll and cut the dough, but I'm entirely to lazy for that silliness, so I scoop, roll into balls and press with the bottom of the coffee mug.  My dd and my ds's gf will be here to frost them all next week.

I'll try the macaroons with the cranberries since my mother loves cranberries.  She also hinted at a coconut pie, but the macaroons may be a nice substitute. I wish I had an extra freezer, it would sure make life easier right now.

kathleen

Laurie,

I'm finally rebelling against cut-out frosted sugar cookies.  These have to be the emptiest calories of all time.  Plus they are a dog to make.  Nobody really likes them after the age of about ten.

I can top your 9 hours on the timer.  After we moved into our new house, I accidentally set the microwave for 20 hours, not 20 minutes.  I was rewarded with a loud smoking explosion.  I raced to turn it off but too late, the entire inside was black, the glass turntable was shattered and so was the glass container I was using for the food.  Frantically I dragged the thing outside. Don't ask me what food it was because it was unrecognizable.

But can you believe that after a good cleanup that microwave is still in service?  In case you're wondering it's a Magic Chef and yes, I'd buy one again,

Kathleen

LaurieS

I can go along with your theory about the 10 year olds and these cookies.  Since my entire family acts like a bunch of children when they see them, they all love these cookies.  My dh finally admitted that mine were better then his mother's because I don't overwork the dough and make them thicker.  We had a Japanese student here a couple of years ago and he helped to ice and decorate the cookies, he thought that he had just lived through the best Christmas ever.

I was just thinking about meals around the holidays.. I'm going to have 8 people here for every meal before Christmas, ten on Christmas and 17 on the 27th.  I thought about a pot of chili but two don't like beans.  Spaghetti, but 2 don't like the vegetables.  Stew is out as well.. not sure what I'm going to be feeding all these people.. hmm wonder if Pen would come and make me some tamales. 

dablacks

Hi everyone, here is an easy yummy addition to your holiday baking.  AND, it's easy.
? donna

BLACK RUSSIAN BOOZE CAKE
1/4 CUP KAHLUA (COFFEE LIQUEUR)

1/4 CUP VODKA

1 PKG. YELLOW CAKE MIX

1 SMALL PKG INSTANT CHOCOLATE PUDDING

4 EGGS

1 CUP VEGETABLE OIL

3/4 CUP WATER

?

BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS FOR 2 MINUTES AT MEDIUM SPEED.

BAKE IN A BUNDT PAN AT 350 FOR 45 TO 50 MINUTES.