March 28, 2024, 02:41:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

When do you give up on a daughter that hates you?

Started by Renet, November 01, 2010, 07:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithlooksup

Dear Friend,  Hello, I do not believe you did anything wrong, for I am also going thru the same thing except with 2 sons.   And it does hurt, so I feel your pain.  You must just let go-for the more you try to hold on-the deeper the wounds fester.  Let go.  and when she needs you she will be back, or when ever-she will be back.  We all do the best we can being a single parent--we are never perfect.  And someday they to shall grow up and find this out as well.
just let go and let god.    Peace...

cadagi101

Quote from: AZGMA on November 11, 2010, 08:19:17 AM
What I did to heal my wounds from having a son who feels like that was to let him know I love him and am there for him should he decide he wants me in his life, but it is simply too heartbreaking to do so continuously.  I  stopped sending gifts, leaving phone messages, etc.  I truly have no idea what his resentment is based upon.  I even raised his emotionally disturbed son (a different story); part of it I am sure is guilt, but his brother tells me it is from earlier in life.  I do allow myself to occasionally grieve again, but had to build joy into my life from other sources.

His stepmother gives me regular updates about him, he lives near his father, but in many ways my son is a stranger to me.  Recently, after almost 15 years of non-relationship, he has "friended" me on facebook, at the urging of a new girlfriend.    It gives me the chance to make the occasional comment about ways I am proud of his achievements.  He does not comment on my posts.  He will turn 40 next summer; I am 69. 

I feel your pain, and all I can say is that you have a life beyond this daughter, and you deserve to make it a happy one.  Blessings.

I am rushing a quick reply that came to mind.   It was another post some time back where a parent got into hot water by posting positive comments...do you understand the logic there???
This person unfriended the parent because she was embarrased.      That could happen to you, then you will never see what is going on in your son's life.  Is haveing you on his facebook another way to torture your feelings.   just be wary.  Hope ;you don't mind my unasked for input.  Just thinking of you.