April 16, 2024, 11:36:04 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Is This The Kind Of Thing MILS Do?

Started by catchingup, November 29, 2010, 01:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

Well, to some extent, I can see an adult child making themselves at home at their parents home.  To me, it's still "home-home".  Although, now that my Mom lives in a house that I never lived in full-time, it is a bit different.  But to me, the parent-child relationship is NOT a two way street.  So yeah, DD and I will go climb in my Mom's bed for a cuddle, but Mom would never come into MY bed.  Because she doesn't have the same relationship with DH, whereas, when my Dad was still alive, it was still 'my parents bed'.  If my Mom ever remarries, her (shared) bedroom will become off-limits.

I would not want my MIL to be going through my bedroom / bathroom cupboards or drawers.  However, the guest bathroom and the kitchen is pretty much "public".  I have nothing to be ashamed of.

That being said, my Dad would NEVER go through my DH's tools without his permission either.  In fact, my Dad worried very much about stepping on DH's toes, and really made an effort to never cross any lines.

Tara

I think it is pretty strange to enter DS and DIL's house when not home and go through their bedroom drawers and closets.
The kitchen seems pretty innocuous. 

luise.volta

February 09, 2011, 12:33:56 PM #17 Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:35:27 PM by luise.volta
This seems pretty subjective to me. I don't care who goes through what in my house. If they find anything interesting, I'd sure like to know what. It seems like a personal kind of code of ethics. I wouldn't do that because I think everyone is jsut as uninteresting as I am. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

luise.volta

You're right...the subject looks a lot better when it's not in CAPS. When we need to use ALL CAPS...we usually need to take 5, pour a cup of coffee and put off posting for a bit.

LaurieS

If in my closet the least they can do is to grab my dry cleaning for me..... I could have been accused of snooping once.. I needed toilet tissue while in my dil's bathroom.. of course I looked under the sink.. no tissue but she had a LOT of bottles of soap from Bath and Bodyworks...  Tissue was kept  in the hallway.. now why didn't I think to look there.  I mentioned to my dd about the soap.. so she counted them.. 25 bottles of soap.. who keeps that much soap.. at least we know there is no reason for them not to be sparkling clean.

luise.volta

There! I finally got rid of the ALL CAPS subject line.  :)

Scoop

Laurie my friend had that many bottles of soap - because people kept giving them to her and she couldn't use it fast enough.

Pooh

I have bunches of it too, because I do love it so my friends and relatives give it to me as gifts all the time.  I have amassed a collection...but no complaints!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

I just got an e-mail from them: 7 for 3 dollars a piece! Better hit the store!  :D

LaurieS

LOL.. no she buy soap each time she gets to the mall... I thought man if I ever needed to give a gift I'd be looking at soap.. now it would have probably made more sense to keep in the hallway closet and the toilet paper under the sink.

Nana

I agree with Pen....My house is always open for my son and dil and they can come in and go all over the house as it was theirs.  I dont mind really.....I want them to feel at home (As Scoop says...it is where my son grew up).  But different rules apply to us in-laws.  Not that dil say anything but husband and I comment that we dont feel like we can go to the fridge and grab something.  Or just drop in ......no way....we get like a strange look from dil.  It is so funny, my son even goes to my husband closet and checks if there is anything new.   They may also just drop in and tell me that they come to have breakfast with us or lunch....or whatever.  We would never do that but it is fine with me.   I feel so happy to see them.  As long as dil seems happy and confortable in my house....no problem.....but yes Pen......it is not the same the other way around.
Now Scoop..... I have never thought about it being different, but you are  right,  because our children were raised at our house..... they just come and throw themselves into our bed as they always did..because we are still their  parents..and they feel it is still their home...good point..... .

Mariatobe...Your Mil....is indeed nosy.  Cant imagine going around my son/dil's house opening drawers or cabinets.   She is really something. 
Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

cremebrulee

I agree here totally, my home is open to my son and DIL as well, however, I do not feel the same way about they're home...it is a code of ethics and I would never ever go snooping.

I love Bath and Body works....if the world ever comes to an end, at least I'll smell good going out.... ;D

Scoop

Oh MAN Laurie!  You're not trying to organize your DIL's house for her are you? 

I think it's funny, because I have the same sort of issues with my Mom sometimes.  She really believes that everything should have its "place".  I believe that things should be stored near where they're used.  I think my Mom keeps her spare rolls of TP in the laundry room.  I usually have one on the toilet tank.  We have LOTS of examples, and thus we've had this back and forth for years now!  Thankfully it's a good-natured type of 'argument'.

PS - I know you're not trying to organize your DIL's house, I just wanted to point out that different people have different ways of organizing. 

holliberri

LOL, my DH is afraid to keep toilet paper under the sink in the only bathroom cabinet b/c he's afraid of the sink leaking (we've only been there a year, nothing like that has happened yet...).

We don't have a linen closet, just a table for towels.

So DH prefers to keep our toilet paper in the guest bedroom closet. I guess it's dry there.

I'm kinda loaded up on B&BW soaps too (I keep 5 extra, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom), when I run out, I'll buy 7 more. I can't beat that 7 for 3 deal. Plus I only worry about it like once a year now.

Mine are kept in the kitchen pantry. Now that I think about it, I have no idea why...

I sense a weekend of practical rearrangement coming my way...