March 28, 2024, 01:04:35 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Am I the only one?

Started by 1Glitterati, November 24, 2010, 05:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Glitterati

Who feels like the holidays have become a chore that must be taken care of and gotten though?

Perhaps I'm just having a Scroogey year...but I'm tired of it.  Really, just tired of it.  It isn't fun.  It's dreary and depressing and I have felt badly for about the past two weeks.

I just want to stay home, alone with dh and the kids and have no one else over.  It's just too much stress.  But, I'll pack up the food, go somewhere else and cook, and try really hard to ignore what I don't like and not have a meltdown.

Next year, I've decided.  Thanksgiving is at my house.  If I invite anyone, it will be friends.

luise.volta

Last Thanksgiving I was walking on a broken ankle and didn't know it. Christmas I was post-surgery and after needing to have it screwed back on to my tibia...(and doing my care giving from a wheel chair.) My husband was sinking fast. Friends offered to put up my outside and inside decorations and I was too tired tell them where they were or what I wanted. The holidays were just a blur.

This year I'm fine but I'm snowed in and my family can't get to me. I did put up my outside Christmas decorations the day before the storm hit. I usually don't put them up until after Thanksgiving...but I'm glad I jumped the gun this time.  ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

1Glitterati

Thank you.  It's nice to hear about someone having a better holiday season after a bad one.

luise.volta

Well, I had no way to go but up, G.!

LaurieS

I find the holidays to be quite a work load... If I had to work outside the house I think I'd be swamped by now. Things will be changed up a little this year which will certainly help.. sometimes when it's the same food, same conversation, it does become more of a chore.  All in all chore or not, it's worth it to bring some family together who we've missed.  The biggest problem for me is that my mil insist on eating by 2.. which means that I have to put the 24lb hefty guy the oven by 8 and I have to have 2 cups of coffee in me before I make that bird feel like he's being groped by a TSA agent.

1Glitterati

Quote from: Laurie on November 24, 2010, 06:07:41 PM
I have to have 2 cups of coffee in me before I make that bird feel like he's being groped by a TSA agent.

That made me laugh.

luise.volta

Barbie

Glitter, the holidays are very stressful for the vast majority of people. For me they've been particularly sad the past few years because I've already lost all my close relatives. This year I was really looking forward to the season but I guess I got too excited too soon. Hope things take a turn for the best.

LaurieS

I just can't seem to get my mind past the airport security these days.. and I'm not even flying :) 

I just ironed and folded the napkins... table is set, breakfast (pumpkin bread) is made.. I really should have put double ovens in this house but I would only use them twice a year, didn't seem worth the expense, I could do so much more without worrying about timing.   I have all my serving dishes out and I'm about to wash the potatoes.... whew

Of course my son brought home dirty clothes and I just about have them finished and toilets wiped down... I think I'm ready.  Chore? yeah it's a big chore, but I can take the rest of the weekend off and tell them to eat leftovers :)

luise.volta

Oh, yum...turkey sandwiches!!  8)

LaurieS

Quote from: 1Glitterati on November 24, 2010, 05:08:54 PM
Next year, I've decided.  Thanksgiving is at my house.  If I invite anyone, it will be friends.

I think that's a wonderful idea...  Thanksgiving is almost always at my house and I really do prefer it that way... it takes a little more prep but I'm comfortable in my own kitchen.

Glitter have you ever been able to have a holiday with just your immediate family?  I'm not even against going out for dinner and then everyone gets to be rested and well fed.  Once the kids are not coming home on a regular basis we just might start doing that.. I can cook a turkey any time and who says you have to have enough food to gain 50 pounds at one setting?  This Thanksgiving it is a little odd, only having one of my kids home.. Oldest and his wife are staying in NM, and my baby girl is spending her first Turkey day away from home as she is at her bf's. 

What's funny is all the moms here are upset with their kids not being home and I almost made her go, as her bf will not have Christmas off of work and this was his only opportunity to visit with his family. They've been out ring shopping, but not yet engaged.. she said that she is waiting for the surprise.. how can you surprise someone when she helped pick out the rings? Anyway.. I hope you do make it just about your family next year and it doesn't have to be traditional.  When the kids were little we'd go camping over Thanksgiving, that was always fun.

LaurieS

Oh I know Luise... turkey sandwiches and we are also having a Honey Baked Ham.. now that's living :) or killing ourselves slowly.  I always send home a few meals with my in-laws so nothing goes to waste.

I sure hope you get a chance to see your husband, and I'm sorry that he's ill.  But I have a feeling that you'll make the best out of the situation and have a blessed holiday.

luise.volta

They let me see him today and he thought I was the one who's been ill. Since it was a nasty bug...a failing memory isn't all bad. We have a lot to be thankful for!  :D

1Glitterati

Quote from: Laurie on November 24, 2010, 07:42:49 PM
Quote from: 1Glitterati on November 24, 2010, 05:08:54 PM

I think that's a wonderful idea...  Thanksgiving is almost always at my house and I really do prefer it that way... it takes a little more prep but I'm comfortable in my own kitchen.

Glitter have you ever been able to have a holiday with just your immediate family?    Laurie...I have never had a Thanksgiving in my own home.  Never had it with just dh, or just dh and the kids after the kids came.  That's what I'm planning for next year.  Period. 

Anyway.. I hope you do make it just about your family next year and it doesn't have to be traditional.    I don't mean to sound like I don't ever want to spend time with my parents.  It's just not fun at TGiving.  I have to deal with my brother.  My dad isn't that social...and my mom usually doesn't feel good because of her health issues.   It just seems like so much work and that most of the people there aren't enjoying it.  I especially don't want to spend the time with my brother.  When the kids were little we'd go camping over Thanksgiving, that was always fun.  That does sound like fun!

LaurieS

Camping over Thanksgiving was a blast.. I'd even cook and package a turkey dinner to reheat around the campfire.. weather here is usually mild enough (I'm running the a/c as we speak)  DH and I camped every year till the kids came and then continued until his parents moved to the area.. now it hurts to sleep in a tent :) so we were talking about either doing the cruise or just getting a hotel down in Galveston.. I was actually excited this year since it's my first chance to entertain in my new home.

If your extended family isn't getting great memories from the feast day.. then yeah next year make it about you guys..  you won't be sorry.