March 29, 2024, 12:08:21 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Sons

Started by Rose799, November 23, 2010, 01:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose799

November 23, 2010, 01:23:58 AM Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:59:58 PM by Rose799
I read an article written by a therapist earlier who said she had a client who cut ties over his mother rearranging the food in his refrigerator.  The therapist suggested treating your boys as though they're your next door neighbor's son.  You wouldn't rearrange their food.  Maybe it's the testosterone? 

luise.volta

That kind of thing always seem to me like the person is laying for you and no matter what you do or say...you're going to get it.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Tara

Luise,  what an interesting comment.
Can you say a little more about DS and/or DIL laying for you?

luise.volta

November 24, 2010, 09:05:44 AM #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:37:04 PM by luise.volta
It's the kind of thing..."Good Morning!" :-)  "Really? If you were willing to look, the weather is rotten and anyway, it's 12:01 and it's afternoon." The darned if you do, darned if you don't thing where correction and rejection are a given because it's not about the input. It's about the put down.

Tara

Luise   thanks for explaining.
what do you think thats about?  (I know your not a mind reader but have some thoughts about this)
this is an eyeopener for me.

luise.volta

I suppose the cause of it varies. For instance: there are passive aggressive people that correct instead of connect. There are disgruntled, unhappy folk who just need to dump cold water on others...and there are the insecure ones who build themselves up by tearing others down. I think a lot of people who do that have no idea that the pattern has even been established. Most often, it seems to me, that there is no changing any of it. I have tried kidding, ignoring, and even confronting. No-go.

When that happens it feels to me like the person isn't present. A program is running. It's sad. Others who are around it too much, like children who have parents like that, can be severely damaged over time.

Tara

Luise,

Excellent food for thought.  One thing I appreciate is that you hold a positive view seem able to spot the shadow
side.

luise.volta

luise.volta

I keep trying to tell that to my mirror..but it remains unimpressed.   ::)

Nana

Yes Luise but not all old people have what you-ve got.   Some people never learn.  I also like how you spot issues. 

lOVE
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

luise.volta

Faithlooksup

"Thru age comes infinate wisdom."   We dont get older, we only get better...xoxoxoxo

luise.volta

Not necessarily...  :o