March 28, 2024, 07:48:34 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Olympic squad of fighting grandmothers

Started by seasage, November 20, 2010, 11:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Really Luise.. Holli can stand her own drunk or not :)

LaurieS

Yeah other then ticking me off the conversation went pretty good.. He remembered that he was on Skype so he never scratched or did any of those other inappropriate things.  I would have just preferred that he compared his wife to Princess Diana then to me.  I hope this is a phase because if this is his new way to rationalize things he'll be met with opposition.  I'm sure the last thing my dil wants is to be compared to me, as she thinks I have tacky taste.  I do hope that Holli is right and he is just feeding into preconceived notions of mother/dil roles.. I know it's not women as a whole, as he's talked often about being in awe of some of the women he's met in college and in the military.

Oh well, not my problem.. hey I tried out Curves.. wish they'd let you go around the equipment more but the equipment is nice. 

luise.volta

Will all of the young adults here (age 18 to 21 or thereabouts,) please stand up.  ;D ;D ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

holliberri

Well...as long as it's not that "I-was-hoping-you'd-both-find-some-common-ground-so-I'll-just-MAKE-some-common-ground-for-you" tactic. That never works.

Haha...Luise..I fold.

luise.volta

That'll be the day, H. Don't you dare!  ;D

LaurieS

No Holli. I think he is tossing anything out there now to see if something besides poo will stick. 

I asked my son to check with his roommate to see if he needed anything in particular for me to include inside the package.. he said ok.. I'll send you a list tomorrow.. I'll ask all the guys. I could be sending a gigantic box at this rate.. He said that he knows they want potato chips.. he said that snack food was the most lacking.

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Yeah I'm not wild about snakes either.. one could endanger my new pet rats

Pooh

You know, I sometimes wonder if there are only certain time periods that their memory retains information too.  My DS made a comment a few years back that shocked me.  I made a big Sunday afternoon dinner, and while we were eating it, DS said something like, "Wow, Mom.  This is great.  You should have cooked more often when we were growing up."   I remember thinking "What?"  I cooked from the time they were born until he was age 5 literally 7 days a week.  Then when they started playing sports, it was more fast food, but I still cooked at least 3 times a week.  And then when they started driving, I cooked at least 5 times a week, with them coming in late from practice and warming up a plate.  But to hear him tell it, this was the first time I had ever cooked in his life.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on February 03, 2011, 01:12:22 PM
You know, I sometimes wonder if there are only certain time periods that their memory retains information too.  My DS made a comment a few years back that shocked me.  I made a big Sunday afternoon dinner, and while we were eating it, DS said something like, "Wow, Mom.  This is great.  You should have cooked more often when we were growing up."   I remember thinking "What?"  I cooked from the time they were born until he was age 5 literally 7 days a week.  Then when they started playing sports, it was more fast food, but I still cooked at least 3 times a week.  And then when they started driving, I cooked at least 5 times a week, with them coming in late from practice and warming up a plate.  But to hear him tell it, this was the first time I had ever cooked in his life.

Yeah kids are like in their own world.. mine are really clueless as to who we were before we hit 50 :) and they were there for a lot of it.  DH and son were having a conversation about me one day.. he says.. yes your mom when your age was fabulous, she was pretty, and smart... had a wild carefree attitude, she was adventurous and fearless.. she loved life and loved love... and then... she got married.  Hmmm no wonder our boys don't have a clue. 

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

Pen

I can't remember who suggested that our DILs only knew what our DSs told them about us...it was one of our wonderful DILs, but I'm too lazy to search for the OP. Anyway, I think it may be true that some of our DILs have some weird ideas about us due to our DSs odd childhood memories.

My DIL thinks we chewed gum instead of brushing our teeth. One time we were running late and I looked over to realize, horrified, that DDD hadn't done a good job brushing. I gave her a piece of gum. From that one event DS must have told DIL the story that we chewed gum instead of brushing.

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

holliberri

My dad and I've had so many arguments about what I remember and what I remember correctly.

I remember he made me quit dance. He remembers he would never even let me quit anything let alone MAKE me quit something. That's just one example. We reached a compromise: I wasn't taking dance seriously, so he must've told me I had to quit to see if I would fight him on it. I guess I didn't, so I quit. Neither of us completely agrees with that version of events, but it does keep the peace.

JaneF

Luise, I LOVED your statement about arguing and one person not being present! So true! I often have been shocked by the "memories" my kids have had. Makes me wonder where was I at this point in their lives! Sheesh. Is is like that old selective hearing thing perhaps???? I wonder who the lady was that was doing all that cooking and cleaning, traveling to track meets and football games, voice lessons and drum lessons, parent teacher conferences, delivering girl scout cookies and dealing with cheerleader junk, and working as well?????? Hmmmmm. They were a bit neglected it seems.... ::) :o :P

luise.volta