April 19, 2024, 07:14:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Advice -- How do you overcome the difficult days?

Started by Rose799, November 19, 2010, 06:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose799

luise.volta

I make a gratitude list and that often does the trick for me. WWU is right at the top!  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Rose799

Nana

Rose

I like to watch good movies....and pamper myself.  Cleaning my drawers is therapeutic for me also..

Anna
Ups and downs ....  Dont lose hope Anna..... how can she not see what she is missing with her attitude?   Many dils would give anything to have a mil like you....  Have so much love to give Anna...  it is her loss.

You have us all here with you....
A big hug

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

LaurieS

Quote from: Nana on November 19, 2010, 09:55:48 PM
Cleaning my drawers is therapeutic for me also..

Oh I now know it's way past my bedtime and today was a little overwhelming with chores.. but my goodness did I misread what you wrote.  I read drawers as in underwear.  It gave cleaning your drawers a new meaning :)

Nana

Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

LaurieS

JaneF

When I have one of those "rough days" I either just go visit a good friend to talk, or like today when I was having a difficult day I surprised the grandchild I am raising by taking her on a little shopping trip, and then out for an ice cream treat. I really enjoyed watching her choose her little outfits and try them on. At 11 and a half she is now beginning to have her own tastes in clothes. She did a great job and chose appropriate outfits for winter, and they are the latest style she tells me! lol It brightened my day by making someone else feel good, and it took my mind off of what had upset me in the first place. Another trick to make yourself feel a bit better is a "me day". Take a day and pamper yourself. Sometimes I'll choose the day I have my monthly hair appointment with my fantastic hairdresser (my EX sister in law/ great friend), then I feel good and my hair looks good...then I take her out to lunch and we enjoy visiting time, then later I take a nice soak in the jetted tub when I get home, relax with a book, paint my toe nails...whatever I want to do. I think we should all do that at least once a month, we deserve it! Hugs to you all and I wish I could give you all a "me day" and share it with you.  :P

luise.volta

I have a Chackra Meditation CD that can pop me out of it...and tons of sugar always works!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

seasage

Peaceful choral music takes me out of my funks. 

Lux Aurumque by The Wayland Singers
Vinicius de Moraes Songbook by Maria Bethania
The Netania Davrath recording of Songs of the Auvergne by Joseph Canteloube
Officium Novum by The Hilliard Ensemble

Pen

All of your suggestions are wonderful.

If my "horrible awful no good very bad day(s)" (who here remembers Judith Viorst?) is manifesting in panic or anxiety I have to stop that behavior before moving on so I start with a crossword or two with a cup of herb tea. Next come breathing exercises, yoga, meditation (nothing major, I'm not really trained in it) or any movement, really, followed by working in the garden, feeding the hummingbirds or grooming the cat. By then I'm much calmer and ready to get something done, so I fire up either energizing music if I need to plow through household chores (I love punk rock, go figure) or jazz, classical, or a book on the ipod if I'm doing a sit down project or planning my week. If I have routines in place and a menu plan already done it's easier for me to get back on track. After all that I feel ready to connect with friends and/or get pampered with some salon time or lunch out. If time/money is limited I cut out the least essential activities and focus on breathing, music and movement.

Don't forget hydration! Very important.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

JaneF

What a lovely day I had yesterday. Instead of feeling down about upcoming holidays and issues with DD and DS and DIL, I spent the day with the grandaughter I am raising , and we had a ball. She is such a delight. Eleven years old, just beginning to enter the preteen phase, and I hope this is an easier transistion than it was with her mother! This child is nothing like her mom, but perhaps it's because we have tried to "do this right?!". lol Of course my DD has the bipolar issues and that makes things very different of course. My GD and I spent the day setting the Christmas tree up early, played some beautiful Christmas cd's, playing games, having lunch, and of course went through her "wardrobe" and sorted out outgrown items for donation, ones for use for her painting and other art activities, and then picked her favorites to be "in style" for school! :P She is recently discovering her own "style" and tastes, and it is kind of sad because she will be all grown up before we know it. Seeing her laugh and really enjoy decorating the tree made my day. I find it is getting easier every day that I am not in contact with my DD and DS and DIL. If they choose to contact me fine, if not, fine. I have no expectations at all about holidays as far as they are all concerned. We will do what WE want to do, plan to spend the time with other family members, enjoy each others company...and have a great time. I plan on a small gift for each GD (MY SONS DAUGHTERS) TO HAVE UNDER THEE TREE, then a card will be attached that will either be a "gift certificate" to a bank account I plan to set up for college, or whatever else they may need. As far as my DD's sons, my GS's...I plan to give gift certificate for a day spent with me to pick their own gift, and lunch out. One GS needs a bike since my DD lost all their possesions due to her choices a year ago  >:(, and I'd like him to pick the one he wants! The littlest one would love picking out his favorite toys in a toy store, and it would be time we can spend together. If DD does not allow, nothing I can do. One day at a time!!! Hugs to all.

Tara

Quote from: Rose799 on November 19, 2010, 06:17:58 PM
...other than writing here on WWU?

Rose,

I find if I get up in the morning and do 30 minutes of meditation and then get some exercise it helps alot in clearing out
my energy, especially in the recent past when I was feeling some painful grief re:  DIL.