March 28, 2024, 12:14:30 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Protect your junk

Started by seasage, November 16, 2010, 06:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny1

The nearest airport to me is a smaller regional airport, they have budget carriers like Airtran that fly out of it to most places that I go to (for as often that I travel anyway), cities like Miami and Las Vegas. My regional airport doesn't have the scanners. The larger airports do, but not this one. Check around to other options, they can't possibly to a pat-down on everyone.

Pooh

Oh Kathleen, what a horrible experience.  Not just for her, but for you too.  There is nothing worse in the world than feeling helpless to do anything about an injustice.  I am with you on this.  I understand that they are trying to keep people safe, but I too think it is coming at a great cost.

I think our society is becoming more and more dependant on people that have an agenda.  Not bringing religion into this, but the situation baffles my mind how someone picks and chooses.  The government says that you can't have prayer or religion at school, but they are paid salaries with money that says, "In God We Trust".  And they say there must be a seperation between Church and State is why, but yet I watched on CNN a broadcast of the President presenting the Medal of Honor to a soldier's family and they prayed right before, with the President participating? 

And that is not a religious statement, just an example of how I think their are many double standards going on.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

When I went through the airport body scanner, I didn't know you weren't suppose to pose.

Faithlooksup

LOL Laurie!!! ;D   And Katheen I was just in shock to read your post about your SIL, how horrifying that she was treated so disrespectfully~~I feel so awful reading about that.....

Well, I guess I will go with the getting patted down~however NOT by some strange man, I will ask for a woman...Less embarrassing. The next thing you know we will all be lined up against the wall and have to strip. HELP..... >:(

You watch these commercials about ADT home security devices and in all actuality if a burglar is going to break in no matter what kind of security you have...he is going to get in....  Unfortunately, the same applies to terrorists~~no matter what they will find a way...

Ladies,  "America is no longer the land of the free..." :(

Always becareful...HUGS, Faith

Pen

We've no plans for immediate plane travel right now, but if we did I don't know what I'd do. I've had a lot of xray action in the past few years due to one health thing or another and hesitate to add more. Even at the dentist I balk at all the xrays they want to give. The pat down sounds really humiliating too, but since I have no colostomy bag or sanitary pad issues it's probably the choice I'd make though I've heard that the agents don't wear gloves to protect us but rather to protect themselves so they don't put on clean ones for each passenger. People supposedly have gotten chiggers, etc. from the person in front of them - eeewwww!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

kathleen

Seasage:

The following is from Andrew Weil MD's web site:  You can find the whole text there:

Winter Travel, Part 1: Airplane Air Quality
The air quality in airplanes is a real problem for both travelers and airline employees. The National Research Council found evidence suggesting that air circulating in passenger cabins may contribute to a wide variety of health problems. Among the hazards noted: overexposure to ozone levels, inadequate oxygen pressure and air contaminated with traces of engine oil, hydraulic fluid, de-icing solutions and even pesticides (sprayed on international flights).

In addition over the weekend my husband read me the story of a boy who dropped from the sky over Massachusetts.  They think he stowed away in the "wheel well" of an airplane, froze to death, then fell on the lawn of of a frightened suburbanite.  To date they said there have been 83 people who stowed away in the "wheel well," whatever that is, of airplanes. 

It struck my husband and I as absolutely ludicrous, all this security, when if you want to blow up a plane all you have to do is hide in the wheel well.  Where are the people supposed to be checking on the wheels before takeoff?  Actually you wouldn't even have to stow away yourself---just plant explosives.

More and more disgusted,

Kathleen

Pen

So those of us who are "below the salt" and can no longer afford to fly are actually lucky? It's like being one of Teresina Cortez's children in Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat who thrived on a diet of tortillas and beans but became sickly when they ate food from more fortunate tables.

Whoo-hoo! I guess?!?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

kathleen

Pen, you raise an interesting point.  Some years back I read a study on the South that said black people at one point in history actually lived longer than whites because they could not afford the more affluent meat-fat-based diet and raised their own vegetables, so they were eating many fresh greens that they raised themselves. 

I think anyone today who doesn't have or can't fly is lucky.  My last trip was so bad that even without the security issue, I never want to go through it again.  Neighbors next door came back from a long-awaited trip to Hawaii saying the same thing; the return trip was over-jammed planes, and delays to cause them 36 hours of cramped sitting & trying to get something to eat or drink, etc., etc.  They were utterly exhausted for days after.

Kathleen