March 28, 2024, 01:46:11 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What's In A Name

Started by LaurieS, November 12, 2010, 11:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

November 12, 2010, 11:35:41 PM Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:20:35 AM by Laurie
I do not have grandchildren but may one day... My DIL once asked what I'd want to be named.. hmmm never thought about that... I always called my grandparents grandma and grandpa... both sides of the family.. I had a great grandmother who lived on a dirt road and we (the entire family) called her grandma-on-the-bumpy-road.. like it was a real name.

My DIL informed me that one set of her grandparents go by me-maw and me-paw or was that paw-paw... I don't know, not terms I ever heard.  I've heard Nana, I think I'd die if my DIL requested that I go by something that I'd hate like Ninny.   I came across a link that list different monikers .. who gets to pick, you the DIL who doesn't like you  ;D, ? I asked that jokingly.. but seriously.. who picks?

Ultimate Guide to Grandparent Names  http://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/activitiesandevents/everyday-activities/article/grandparent-names.html

LaurieS

LOL.. In list that I posted a link for I just saw Faux Ma ... that's great.. who in the world would call themselves that.

PS.. if any of you go by Faux Ma, really it's a beautiful name... forgive me

luise.volta

I think in many instances, the baby names the grandmother. To many "Nana" is the best they can come up with out of grandma.

Being a Luise, I found that hard to say and could only get out the last part...weez...so I became Weezie. I have since met many other Weezies who came by it he same way.

My sister kept saying... Let "me" hold you and "come to me" and her granddaughter called her Mimi. (We make up the spellings.)

In some families there are traditions...friends of mine are "omma" and "umpa." (No, he didn't play the accordion.)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

jomama

I've been jomama since my 1st nephew was born (I was 10). Everyone calls me that-kids,grandkids,their friends, our friends....   My gp were Ma Minnie and Grandpa Arkansas.

luise.volta

Faithlooksup

I think the DIL picks out the names for she is the one who teaches the GC who is who...  I was always "Granny" and then their is MiMi and great grandma (my DIL's grandmother) is grandma.  To me what ever they call you just brings joy to your heart and as long as their is Love tht is all that really matters...

LaurieS

I don't know.. loving or not I don't want to be the only Faux Ma, on my street

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

I thought it was the kids who came up with the name too. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

MLW07

My mom and dad have come up with interesting names.  My mom says she wants to be called "Honey Bunny" and my dad (maybe jokingly) wants to be called "Stud-puppy".  I am thinking Nana and Poppy.  :)

luise.volta

Nana

When mu first gc was born I thought and thought of the way I wanted him to call me.  I asked my dil if it was possible that gs call me Nana...she said it was ok....(the other grandmother was called Tita) .  So dil started using Nana when refering to me.  Well it happens that the Original Nana had an accent on the first a.  My gs did not respect the accent and called me Nana was with an accent on the second A (emphasizing the last A).  So there you go...children sometimes change the idea lol.  Now I have a gd and she also pronounces my name just as his little brother thus. 

Just sharing
Love 
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

LaurieS

Quote from: MLW07 on December 02, 2010, 11:57:07 AM
My mom and dad have come up with interesting names.  My mom says she wants to be called "Honey Bunny" and my dad (maybe jokingly) wants to be called "Stud-puppy".  I am thinking Nana and Poppy.  :)

Too funny... Honey Bunny and Stud Puppy.. I think I would get alone well with your parents.  Does your dad give out strange names at places like Starbucks where they want to call your name when your order is ready?  Last week I was Lunar at the Wacky Mongolian my husband was Pappa John (no his name is not john)... but you know those places might be a good way to see if a name fits.

LaurieS

How much do you want to bet that if I give the name Faux Ma at Starbucks some kid will pronounce it Fox Ma

seasage

Quote from: Laurie on December 02, 2010, 03:00:28 PM
How much do you want to bet that if I give the name Faux Ma at Starbucks some kid will pronounce it Fox Ma

Depends.  What's the probability that a barrista can spell Faux after hearing you say it?