March 28, 2024, 04:55:39 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Here's something nice to read!

Started by AnnieB, September 17, 2009, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieB

I wanted to hug this columnist when I read this!  Somebody out there understands us!!!  Maybe send this to someone, eh?  Or just read it yourself! 

http://www.creators.com/opinion/lenore-skenazy/putting-the-thanks-mother-in-law-back-in-thanksgiving.html

2chickiebaby

Oh, bless her!!!! God Bless Her!!  Thank you, Lenore!! That's it...it's all we can give. 

just2baccepted

Good Article!

I remember when I first got married, anytime my mom and aunt would come up to our new house I would clean it from top to bottom.  But wouldn't you know it I missed the dusting and of course my mom found the dust and had to point it out to my aunt.  That's why I cleaned my tookus off so she wouldn't think I was a bad housekeeper but I guess she couldn't help herself.  ;D ;D

luise.volta

How wonderful! My mother in law, who was a teacher, always came out West for the summer. She cooked and cleaned and watched the kids...and made occasional proclamations like: "the dog is not going to eat off the dishes while I am here! Have you ever watched him washes himself?" She did the laundry and ironed and baked and we were all in hog-heaven!! My father-in-law often came with...and he would do some little thing, like turn the attached garage into a mater bedroom and bath...stuff like that. Ah, "Those were the days, my friend..."
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

2chickiebaby

Wonder why we're all so obsessed with how people see the inside of our homes?  It used to not be like that.  People just dropped by for a visit.  It was great.

Now, everything has to be perfect, just perfect.  I love things in order but I'm getting older and it seems so pointless. Cooking, cleaning, going to the grocery store...such a waste of time!!!  I bet everyone thinks I'm real old but I'm really not. 

I would rather be doing something else. That's why I have the cleaning service. I'd pay someone to go to the grocery store and please!  no more cooking.  I'm sick of it. 

Have I ranted enough?  ;D

just2baccepted

I used to be more into cleaning  and cooking but now I clean when it looks like it needs it and I make big casseroles or we use the crock pot a lot.  But the only reason I cleaned like crazy before my mom would come was because her side of the family is VERY judgemental and critical.  Looks, houses, your behavior, is extremely important to that side.  Anytime I would go to family reunions on that side I was always very careful about how I looked because if they thought you'd gained weight or looked bad they would tell you straight out.  One aunt told my mom, who has thinning hair, "My goodness your hair is sure getting thin!"  So I"ve always been very self conscious around this side of the family.

2chickiebaby

That is so sad!! How can people be so mean?  If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all. Then, of course, with my personality, I'd think you didn't say anything because you didn't like me or what I had on.  You can't win with me.

I don't care what other people's houses look like; I'm there to see them. (I live in an upscale area so I quit keeping up with the Joneses.)

I've found that I don't like the Joneses, although I've never actually met them.

I had lunch recently with some "friends" in my area. They were discussing the color of their appliances.  All of them had these exotic, up to date ones.

Finally, they looked at me: "what color is your refrigerator?"

"it's white", I told them.... with a happy look on my face.

They looked at me with astonishment.  One of them muttered, "that's fine!!!"

I thought, "well good" and made a mental note to myself that these were not really my kinds of friends.  This is so silly!  There are hungry kids out there. 

CarolN

Great article--thanks for sharing it with us.