March 28, 2024, 11:15:16 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Interesting turn of events

Started by Pen, November 08, 2010, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Well, we happened to see DS the other day. He told us how sad DIL's parents were because they were being snubbed by the spouse and ILs of one of their married adult children. The spouse wasn't allowing DIL's FOO to see their GC, and so on. All I said was, "It can go both ways, DS, so be aware." He didn't understand what I meant, and I didn't want to say anything more for fear it would cause a cut off. Later DH said to me privately that he hoped DS would figure it out and that he was proud of me for stifling any other comments (like Archie Bunker, LOL, "Stifle, Edith!")

DIL's FOO are the ones who snubbed DH & I and who have been so rude and cold to us. We've picked up hints that when our GC arrive we'll be shut out and DIL's parents will be the main GPs. Shoe, say hi to the other foot. Karma?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

barelythere

Quote from: Pen on November 08, 2010, 05:00:45 PM
Well, we happened to see DS the other day. He told us how sad DIL's parents were because they were being snubbed by the spouse and ILs of one of their married adult children. The spouse wasn't allowing DIL's FOO to see their GC, and so on. All I said was, "It can go both ways, DS, so be aware." He didn't understand what I meant, and I didn't want to say anything more for fear it would cause a cut off. Later DH said to me privately that he hoped DS would figure it out and that he was proud of me for stifling any other comments (like Archie Bunker, LOL, "Stifle, Edith!")

DIL's FOO are the ones who snubbed DH & I and who have been so rude and cold to us. We've picked up hints that when our GC arrive we'll be shut out and DIL's parents will be the main GPs. Shoe, say hi to the other foot. Karma?

Pen,
I never wish heartbreak on anyone but in your case with your DIL's FOOey's, I do.  Yes, shoe meet the other foot.  I'm glad they got a taste of their own medicine. 

Nana

Pen

Divine Justice lol.  I accuse myself of feeling a malicious joy about what is happening to your dil's family.   I cant understand how your son did not get it.  Probably he doesnt feel that you are also being smubbed by your dil....who knows.   You see, we all get to have a taste of our own medicine.  Pen, your son has a lot of thinking to do (took homework home).  I hope that this opens his and her eyes.  They have to see that they have been doing the same to you and hubby.

Life fulfills itself.

We didn't all come over on the same ship, but were all in the same boat.

-- Bernard M. Baruch

God Bless you
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Tara

Pen,

Ironic situation isn't it.  I admire that you caught yourself and didn't over converse re:  the situation.  I'm a trained counselor and
tend to bla bla bla.  I'm learning from you and my other sisters here.

barelythere

Quote from: Tara on November 08, 2010, 07:15:17 PM
Pen,

Ironic situation isn't it.  I admire that you caught yourself and didn't over converse re:  the situation.  I'm a trained counselor and
tend to bla bla bla.  I'm learning from you and my other sisters here.

I feel we've hit the jackpot with having a trained counselor on board.  We need you~~ :)

LaurieS

Quote from: barelythere on November 08, 2010, 07:21:07 PM
I feel we've hit the jackpot with having a trained counselor on board.  We need you~~ :)
Yes, but I still wish Candice had some mil issues

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 08, 2010, 08:21:08 PM
Quote from: barelythere on November 08, 2010, 07:21:07 PM
Yes, but I still wish Candice had some mil issues

You know she does.  She just won't come on here and talk about it.  Commune with her, Laurie.

Tara

Pooh

November 09, 2010, 07:24:33 AM #8 Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:36:43 AM by Pooh
I'm with Tara, I would have had a hard time not blah blah blahing with that one!  I need duct tape.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Tara

Pooh

And admittedly, I smiled when I read it.  I too (like Nana) get a malicious enjoyment out of Karma.  I shouldn't, but I do.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

kathleen

Pen, my two sons still in the family say of their departed brother and my DIL that these are two of the least self-aware people they know.  Insensitivity is inborn in many.  How many times in my life have I been accused of doing something by someone who has done exactly that, or worse, to me????

There are just so many who can never put themselves in another's place.  They are narcissistic and often crude.  They see only from their point of view, never another's.  My own dear MIL had a saying, "What goes around comes around."  Yes, and so it has for you and them. 

While it is hard sometimes to be sensitive and see all sides, in the end, I would rather be that way.  It's the only thing that's going to keep the world from crashing.  You are obviously far superior to these people in your ability to care for the feelings of others, so all you can do is move on from this latest go-round with them.  You transcend them and always will.

Kathleen

Pen

Thank you Kathleen and all for your wonderful, supportive thoughts. I am glad I'm not like them, but then again if I were, I wouldn't know how self-centered I was, LOL. I wonder what it's like to go through life like a ship under full sail? Or perhaps a better analogy would be a steam roller?

They may not ever realize that their treatment of us is the same as they're getting from their ILs. I'd best be prepared. You have to admit, it's kind of funny in a sad sort of way. :-\

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

catchingup