April 18, 2024, 01:03:23 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Neighbors from: Need your Help Please

Started by kathleen, November 09, 2010, 03:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathleen

Laurie,

Your Victorian was absolutely gorgeous.  What was the issue that caused you to sell?  Are you considering selling your current home? 

I am so sorry you felt forced to sell a home as beautiful as this.

We're working today on going over our documents.  We will file an email I sent to the rental agent with the local police department as followup to their visit.  I kept careful notes on the noise all through October.  Starting to ask around for lawyers.  Have to get some kind of camera that isn't so obvious when taking photos.

More later,

Kathleen

LaurieS

I think the biggest deciding issue that pushed us  to sell the house was and is,age.   My dh hand painted that house, that and all the other renovations became grueling.  Additionally the devaluation of our home due to surrounding neighbors and the work suddenly became frugal. Combine that with HGTV and all the new and wonderful ideas that they show (not so much any more) the choice was heartbreaking but not hard to make.  Our biggest regret is the fact that my daughter wanted to get married on the porch.

I can post another photo of my house from down the street.  It's the photo that was blown up for the appraisal hearing.. Honestly, it's the slums then our house.. pity how some older neighborhoods are being destroyed and the city is letting their precious gems die. 

dablacks

Hello, your story is so sad.  I live in the south and I know first hard how hard it is to be accepted.  We have had many, many problems with neighbors when we first moved south 20 years ago.  Now, we live in a subdivision that has rules.  Also, the county has matured to protect the rights of others.  We also called the fire marshall when we had this guy burning plastic barrels on the front lawn and poisoning all of us.  Another neighbor disabled his barking dog by cutting his vocal cords.  We reported to the human society.  They arrived immediately.  The poor animal was taken away. 

I feel you are in your right to stand up for yourself, protect your property and go after that owner of the home. Another idea is to get to know the other neighbors to sign a petition.  This has helped in our neighborhood when someone steps over the line with no regard for his fellow human being. 

Looking forward to hearing of your progress..... 8)

kathleen

dablacks,

We lived for a short time in a vacation condo while we searched for this house, and believe me, this was like Laurie's town where the rules were completely ignored.  It wasn't quite as bad as what's going on across the street now, but it was very bad and there were more people breaking the rules than not.  Requests the the rules be enforced were met with contempt.  I am so glad your subdivision has rules and apparently enforces them.

I don't live in the South; in fact, when going there a couple of years ago, it seemed wildly friendly compared to where I live.  I did live in Nashville the first year we were married and found it far easier to make friends there than here.  But I am sure there are pockets everywhere of geographic bigotry and "outsidism."  (That's my term for the cultural ideal that no one is accepted unless they have lived there for---how long?  Here it is several generations.  Even then, if you didn't come from England four hundred years ago, you're very suspect.)

Laurie, I get it: your neighborhood just got so bad.  People probably trashed their yards or whatever.  This is a typical example of the "fight flight" syndrome we've also been discussing.  You either had to stay and keep battling it (despite your tax abatement, I am sure it was not easy) or leave. 
You chose to leave. 

Unfortunately, that thought also is entering my mind.

Kathleen

LaurieS

I was just asked by the home owners association if I would consider helping with the architectural deed restriction committee.. I agreed as it would be hard not to after the fire and fence complaining I did.  Since I'm so community oriented (their words not mine) I was asked if I would host a meet and greet at my home.. Dec 4th... I agreed and look forward to it.. but I thought it was just for the new residents.. I didn't realize that the entire subdivision was invited.

I need help Kathleen.. bring your bottle of vinegar and head over here asap.  I think there will be a couple of women helping with finger food.. I sure hope so I can't afford to feed an entire subdivision I can barely keep up with my daughters boyfriend.. yeah he's the 4 hamburger guy.

Don't give up on your home yet.. I know you just got moved in... but in the end.. I learned that a house is only a house if you can't make it your home.

Faithlooksup

Hi!!  I am sorry that your dream home is turning into a nightmare.  However, do not give in or up!!! Just because you are new in the neighborhood--does not mean you can be controlled.  They are rubbish for neighbors, unfortunately some people just do not care and that is the story with them.
i would go around to all the other neighbors whom live on your block and get signatures--power of numbers always works--this may take a while, however I am certain that this will be resolved and in your favor as well.
Do you have a court house in your area???  Go to the court house, see if you can sign some complaints against them, ask your neighbors to sign as well...The clerk of deeds, who ownes that house, write to the owner, show pictures, etc...If the owner does not want to become involved nor take action--simply lay it on the line--"Hey if something happens to either myself or my Husband due to the rubbish that you have rented to, I will hold you personally responsible!!!"  Sometimes, that may wake them up...
Take the owner to small claims court--Negligance of property...there has just got to be something.
Dont give up...Blessings and HUGS...

dablacks

Quote from: kathleen on November 11, 2010, 01:57:35 PM
dablacks,

We lived for a short time in a vacation condo while we searched for this house, and believe me, this was like Laurie's town where the rules were completely ignored.  It wasn't quite as bad as what's going on across the street now, but it was very bad and there were more people breaking the rules than not.  Requests the the rules be enforced were met with contempt.  I am so glad your subdivision has rules and apparently enforces them.

I don't live in the South; in fact, when going there a couple of years ago, it seemed wildly friendly compared to where I live.  I did live in Nashville the first year we were married and found it far easier to make friends there than here.  But I am sure there are pockets everywhere of geographic bigotry and "outsidism."  (That's my term for the cultural ideal that no one is accepted unless they have lived there for---how long?  Here it is several generations.  Even then, if you didn't come from England four hundred years ago, you're very suspect.)

Laurie, I get it: your neighborhood just got so bad.  People probably trashed their yards or whatever.  This is a typical example of the "fight flight" syndrome we've also been discussing.  You either had to stay and keep battling it (despite your tax abatement, I am sure it was not easy) or leave. 
You chose to leave. 

Unfortunately, that thought also is entering my mind.

Kathleen

kathleen

Here's an update on this situation:

My neighbor spoke sharply to the offenders, and to date they have stopped the noise. I was very happy for a while.  But  I expect them to pick it up again this spring.

Last week we learned, however, that this stupid community we lived in feels it cannot stop an excavating company that is going in one mile from our house.  We bought in a pristine area assured that nothing like this could happen as we are otherwise surrounded by conservation land.  There will be one truck every 12 minutes leaving from the site filled with gravel and sand, and many of these trucks will be 18-wheelers. That doesn't count the noise from the excavations, the damage to wildlife, and the destruction of the hillside.  I sat through two hours of the worst lies I have ever heard the other night from the company's sleazy lawyer and more-sleazy "road consultant."

The people in this town do not know what they have, and they have no idea what is coming if they allow this to go through.  Of course, it's all about the taxes---stupid and short-sighted, because if property values drop because of this industrial park, so will tax income.  This is going to make my noise problem with my neighbors look like jelly donuts.

So much for our retirement "dream" home.  I don't know how these people sleep at night.

In total disgust,

Kathleen

LaurieS

Hey there Kathleen... I think I would be folding and moving on if it's possible.... We don't get many chances for a dream retirement home, so I would be looking at plan B.  The destruction to the land alone will kill your property value, and yes the constant traffic could possibly effect a future sale.   Approximately how many home owners do you have in your area and I can't remember do you have a HOA or a POA?  I would sure be firing off letters, especially since you do write amazing well, to your local government and state officials.  A quick letter campaign may be the only thing to put a temporary hold on the project.  I take it that none of the nature or wildlife reserve will be affected.  I wonder if they've done an environmental study.  In the meantime I'm really sorry this has happened.. it's heartbreaking to put money, time, and your heart into a home that you thought would be the perfect home.... please keep us posted

Pen

We had a similar issue in our area a few years back, complete with 24/7 rock crushing machines, 18 wheelers, asphalt plant, etc. Although we're fairly rural and not known for being a hotbed of environmental or any other kind of action, a group was formed that fought back! So far we've kept that project at bay. I am so sorry you're in the midst of this nightmare and hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction, whatever constitutes the very best outcome for you.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

What a sad, sad story. It really bothers me to miss threads. If any of you notice that I am not in on one, would you send me a P.M.? I can't figure why I am "mostly" notified of new subjects but not always.

I don't know much about the legalities but I do know that sometimes we need to know, "When to hold 'em and when to fold 'em." I'm so sorry, Kathleen. A life-dream. It just breaks my heart. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

kathleen

Laurie, Pen and Luise,

Thanks for your responses.  Yes, Laurie, wildlife in the area will be decimated from the noise.

The worst aspect of this is citizen inaction.  I serve on the Conservation Commission and they are acting as if nothing is happening.  I requested that we spend the bulk of time at tomorrow's meeting on this issue and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply; instead, the agenda was sent and almost the entire meeting will be devoted to what I call "fancy hats," issues that make people feel important and environmental while the horse is running out of the barn and they do nothing.

You must live in a good community, Pen, if people stopped a project like this.  Were you personally involved?  Can you send details of how this was done?

A strong excavating lobby and a weak citizenry resulted in a law that said towns must accept excavating projects.  I wonder if this isn't un-Constitutional.  It doesn't sound right to me.

It's not going to be easy at our age to just pack everything up and move again.  Plus I am terrified at what will happen to the value of my house.  I don't know if we can absorb the financial loss.

Very depressed,

Kathleen

seasage

Kathleen,

I don't know how one fights against the money and power wielded by industrial development.  Especially when the neighbors don't seem to care.  Is your street paved?  I certainly hope so because those big trucks are going to throw up a lot of dirt along with the noise! 

We are also trying to fight industrial development in the neighborhood.  We sit atop the Marcellus Shale, and the fights are for our health, the safety of the water that comes out of our wells, as well as the look of the neighborhood.  If the big gas developers win - and I expect them to in spite of our activism - our neighborhood will look like the pictures in this trailer for the movie Gasland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe1AeH0Qz8.  We live a mile from a major gas pipeline, which means the gas companies would love to get in here because connecting from a gas well into the trans-continental pipeline would be so easy and cheap, so our neighborhood will be one of the first to go down that awful road.  The choicest field for development is just a few hundred yards from my house.  The gas company survey trucks have already been in there, and I am pretty sure that some seismic testing has already been performed.  Part of our fight is with neighbors who are big landowners - who have already collected fistfuls of cash from leasing their land and stand to collect wheelbarrow loads of cash when the drilling happens.  Small landowners like us have the most to lose.  The big landowners will take their cash and move to Florida.  We small homeowners will be stuck with polluted wells and homes we cannot sell.  We live in a semi-rural area that will never get city water, due to the estimated $10 million to bring it to our neighborhood.

At least we have quite a few neighbors who are willing to stand up to the town board and try to get something done.  I can't imagine what it would be like to be alone in this fight.

One of our tactics is to try to get more of the local land designated as conservation easements.  I am wondering, who are the owners of the conservation land near you?   Don't they care?  Or will they be making lots of money from the rock-crushing?

Preparing myself to be one of those lay-down-in-the-road activists,
seasage

kathleen

Seasage,

Thank you for sharing that.  I appreciate it.

Isn't there some way to make these companies pay for lost property damage?  This seems totally un-American to me.  If I walked into a convenience store and stole some candy, the police could be called, but corporations can walk off with decimating an entire neighborhood or more, and nothing happens?

The company in our case has said they will not drive the trucks on our road.  So, they are going to drive them on a highway that goes directly into the next town and right past an elementary school.  So, this is OK with our citizens?  Seems to be they care nothing for their neighbors, either.

We need some national activisim on behalf of all citizens who are facing these very serious issues.

I hope you will keep me updated,

Kathleen

seasage

Quote from: kathleen on January 09, 2011, 08:50:19 AM

Isn't there some way to make these companies pay for lost property damage?  This seems totally un-American to me.  If I walked into a convenience store and stole some candy, the police could be called, but corporations can walk off with decimating an entire neighborhood or more, and nothing happens?

That's one of the Catch-22s.  You have to prove there is damage and that the corporation caused it.  In the thousands of documented cases of water contamination from gas drilling, almost no one has been able to prove anything.  Citizens are left with worthless homes, water they can't drink, pets and farm animals that are dying, many horrendous cases of cancer, and a landscape filled with gas wells.  The gas companies have big pockets and big law firms on retention. 

I honestly don't know what we citizens can do.  All our state and national legislators, even most of our governors, are in the pockets of big business.  Corporations rule the world.  And I don't know where to run and hide, or where to retire.

seasage