March 28, 2024, 04:07:39 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

First time babysitting

Started by Hope, November 08, 2010, 07:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope

Well, everyone, it looks like my dh and I will get our first chance to babysit our gs this Thursday unless they cancel.  Our gs is just a few days short of four months old.  The clincher is that they don't need us till 10:00 pm - which makes for a very late work night.  My dh has to work Friday (he has to leave at 6 am), but I'm off for Veteran's Day.  Our ds wants us to come to their house.  I wonder if our gs will be awake much since it will be so late.  I feel like just another relative - I don't feel like his grandma b/c I only see him when there's a large gathering.  I don't know what to say when people say, "Isn't it great being a grandparent?  Isn't it just the best thing ever?".  It makes me emotional b/c I don't feel like a grandma at all.  We're looking forward to having some grandparent time and hope he is awake some.
Hugs, Hope

luise.volta

10:00 PM? That sounds mean to me. But, I know...I know...it's better than nothing. I pray he's awake, Hope!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

Wake him up and say oops we must have made to much noise... now watch for those pesky teddy cams and webcams... have fun.. enjoy

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 08, 2010, 08:01:06 PM
Wake him up and say oops we must have made to much noise... now watch for those pesky teddy cams and webcams... have fun.. enjoy

FIrst laugh today!! Thank you, Laurie...it isn't a bad idea.  Course, it could lead to "he doesn't like to be with you" if he cries.

luise.volta

Good plan, L. And we'll all go with you in your pocket!  :D

Tara

I'll be looking forward to hearing it

LaurieS

Who starts their evening at 10:00 pm????  My college kids start their evening out at 10.. maybe I'm showing my age.

Pooh

Hmmm....isn't it possible that teething could start about that age?  I remember when mine were teething, they didn't sleep well at all!   ;)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Hope

Thanks, everybody!  I guess it's a start, late though it is.  Our ds said that they are going to a show and the only tickets available were the late show.  Today ds said that they may be going to dinner first, so we may end up going earlier, which would give us some awake time!  I'll let you know if I find any hidden cameras - lol!  Thanks for your interest and support.  You'll get a full report Friday.   ;)
Hugs, Hope

luise.volta

Crossing my fingers, eyes and ankles!!!

jomama

Quote from: Hope on November 09, 2010, 05:48:53 PM
Thanks, everybody!  I guess it's a start, late though it is.  Our ds said that they are going to a show and the only tickets available were the late show.  Today ds said that they may be going to dinner first, so we may end up going earlier, which would give us some awake time!  I'll let you know if I find any hidden cameras - lol!  Thanks for your interest and support.  You'll get a full report Friday.   ;)
Hugs, Hope

Check the teddy bear's belly button

Nana

Hope

Keep us posted on how it turns out.  Sure you will get to enjoy gc. 
Good luck

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Barbie

Hope,

It is a start and I'm sure everything will be ok. You're making progress. Our GD was 18 mos. the first we were allowed to babysit so you're not doing so bad.

Hugs.

Hope

Thanks, Barbie.  I'm sorry to hear that your gc was 18 months before you were asked to babysit.  That hurts. 
Well, everyone, our big night is over.  We were both exhausted when we arrived at their house since we start our day so early (we get up at 5:45 am for work).  They left at 9:30 pm for the show that they thought started at 10:00, but really started at 10:30.  Baby gs was sleeping when we arrived and looked adorable all cozy in his crib.  We didn't want to disturb him, but he did wake up about 11:30 pm for his bottle.  After feeding him, I changed his diaper (whether he needed it or not) and my dh and I had our time with him for about 45 minutes - kissing, playing, reading a book, taking pictures, etc.  Then he was rubbing his eyes and obviously sleepy, so we put him in his bed and covered him all up, put his pacifier in his mouth and closed the door.  He fell asleep.  I was on the lookout for the hidden cams - hehe.   ;)   Our ds/dil got home at 1:00 am and dh got to sleep about 3.25 hours before getting up for work.  I slept at ds's house while we waited for gs to wake up and I got to sleep about 6 hours before getting up this morning - I'm off work today for Veteran's Day.  My odd is coming over soon to bake xmas cookies with me - an all day event that is becoming an annual thing and we just love it!  We're stoked.  By the end of the day, my extended dining room table will be completely covered with piles of xmas cookies - all decorated and pretty.   :)  We will each use them for xmas gatherings and gifts.  Well, got to get ready for this big day.  Thanks for taking the time to read about our first babysitting adventure with our gs.
Hugs, Hope