March 28, 2024, 02:34:34 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Awakening...this gave me hope...

Started by Renet, November 07, 2010, 07:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelythere

Quote from: cremebrulee on November 08, 2010, 07:26:10 AM
yes, Luise, exactly why I loved it....
and without the devestating and unbarable, how would we truly know joy, no matter how minute...or short living that joy/true happiness

your insight is most impressive my friend!!!!  ;D

Creme and Luise,
You might be right in some ways.  Maybe I needed to learn not to be so naive regarding people.  I loved so they loved, right?  My compassion was overwhelming, maybe that was what needed to be tempered.  It was my gift and I think my world has lost a lot because I took that compassion away and traded it in on skepticism and doubt.  I think I stand up for myself more now so maybe that was it.  Here's hoping.

Pooh

Thanks Renet.  I really love this.

My fav:

You learn that being tired fuels doubt, fear, and uncertainty and so you take more time to rest. And, just food fuels the body, laughter fuels our soul. So you take more time to laugh and to play.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

What an inspiring discussion. I have never thought we needed to be kicked to the curb to develop as much as we need to develop when kicked to the curb. There's a difference. I'm no masochist and would much rather trip the light fantastic.

Then I trip...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

barelythere

November 08, 2010, 08:17:30 AM #18 Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:20:26 AM by barelythere
Quote from: luise.volta on November 08, 2010, 08:10:47 AM
What an inspiring discussion. I have never thought we needed to be kicked to the curb to develop as much as we need to develop when kicked to the curb. There's a difference. I'm no masochist and would much rather trip the light fantastic.

Then I trip...

Luise,
I wish I could have kept my tender and trusting heart.  I think I gave a lot to everyone I knew but maybe I will need the sense of skepticism and doubt in the nursing home where I might be assaulted by who knows?  a gentleman I think is much older but in reality is my own age??   ;D

luise.volta

I don't follow you in the nursing home part but I agree that with wisdom we learn to temper trust.

I trust in each instance until I learn not to. Sometimes that comes quickly...in a gut reaction and sometimes my trust is rewarded. Life can be a minefield full of daisies. I am going t continue to pick them where I find them...while being cautious.

barelythere

Quote from: luise.volta on November 08, 2010, 08:26:35 AM
I don't follow you in the nursing home part but I agree that with wisdom we learn to temper trust.

I trust in each instance until I learn not to. Sometimes that comes quickly...in a gut reaction and sometimes my trust is rewarded. Life can be a minefield full of daisies. I am going t continue to pick them where I find them...while being cautious.

This was my poor attempt at humor. Sorry. 

luise.volta

Why should yo apologize for my being dense? ???  ;D ;D ;D

barelythere

Quote from: luise.volta on November 08, 2010, 08:40:56 AM
Why should yo apologize for my being dense? ???  ;D ;D ;D

Because my sense of humor is whacked out, that's why.. ;D  You know how you go to your high school reunion and think: "my Lord!! these people can't be my age!!  They are so much older?"

We likely all do it but we don't realize we look the same way.  (I don't, of course, but they do  :).  Yes, indeedy, they do)

luise.volta

My husband is 99. He will tell me when I visit him in the nursing home that a friend of mine dropped in. I will ask who and he will say..." I don't remember her name but she has white hair and she's really old. (That accurately describes abut 99% of us here at our retirement center and the rest color their hair.) Later on someone at least twenty years younger than he is will, say, "I dropped in to see Val, recently...and he knew me!"  ;D ;D ;D

Nana

I read "The Awakening"about 10 years ago.  I love it and had been searching to find it to share it with all of you.  Thanks for finding it.  It is the most inspiring article that I have read and Oh so true.  I think it was written by a Susan...?    I had it printed many years ago but I lost it. 

Barely:  I agree that you didnt deserve nor did your husband the treatment you got from dil and son.  But this can be interpreted many ways.  Say, we deserve what we get because we permit it....could it be so?   Many of us didnt really, truly deserve what we got.  Or maybe when we raised our children and did our best....we missed something?  I dont know....maybe ha?  We are not responsible for our children personality traits either....we raised them just the same and had different outcomes....or probably the peers around them.....who knows....

Nevertheless the article "The awakening"in most parts is awesome....I like the part of not being loved by everyone......it is ok. 

Love 

Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

barelythere

Quote from: Nana on November 08, 2010, 12:46:26 PM
I read "The Awakening"about 10 years ago.  I love it and had been searching to find it to share it with all of you.  Thanks for finding it.  It is the most inspiring article that I have read and Oh so true.  I think it was written by a Susan...?    I had it printed many years ago but I lost it. 

Barely:  I agree that you didnt deserve nor did your husband the treatment you got from dil and son.  But this can be interpreted many ways.  Say, we deserve what we get because we permit it....could it be so?   Many of us didnt really, truly deserve what we got.  Or maybe when we raised our children and did our best....we missed something?  I dont know....maybe ha?  We are not responsible for our children personality traits either....we raised them just the same and had different outcomes....or probably the peers around them.....who knows....

Nevertheless the article "The awakening"in most parts is awesome....I like the part of not being loved by everyone......it is ok. 

Love

Thanks, Nana.  Although I know I didn't deserve it, I did permit it. I was in shock and somehow could not believe it was happening.  I know not everyone will like everyone but this was one of the firsts for us. 

I don't understand people being mean, cruel to other people and I never will.  I do think I've gained some measure of not allowing bad treatment of myself anymore.  I was always a protector of loved ones and I guess I expected them to be a protector of me.  I think that threw me most, not being protected by my son. 

Nana

Dear Barleythere

She we all permit it for sometime.  It is so hard to take a decision to back off because we want to be near them.  We are powerless and fearful and with beautiful dreams and expectations.  eIn permitting all these we gave them permission to degrade our soul and mind.  Good that we reacted later....better late than never. 

Barely...as I had said before....things only change positive when I reacted back. 

Good luck

Love you Barely
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

barelythere

Quote from: Nana on November 08, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
Dear Barleythere

She we all permit it for sometime.  It is so hard to take a decision to back off because we want to be near them.  We are powerless and fearful and with beautiful dreams and expectations.  eIn permitting all these we gave them permission to degrade our soul and mind.  Good that we reacted later....better late than never. 

Barely...as I had said before....things only change positive when I reacted back. 

Good luck

Love you Barely

I know I need to react back but with my heart, it will be so hard for me.  They knew all I wanted was a family.  I think my DIL and son thinks they are giving me one with the times we see them but I guess it's not like I had hoped for.  It was great when I was a slave to her but she has others to do what she wants now.  I think I'm having a down day today.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.  I hope so.

luise.volta

This is the place to come on a down days. We are no fair-weather friends. Sending love...

seasage