March 28, 2024, 03:48:59 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

It's gift giving time

Started by LaurieS, November 03, 2010, 08:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

My dd introduced me to Tom's shoes http://www.toms.com/  Now this is not a shoe I can wear, but they are sure popular with the younger girls.  One of the draws of this shoe is the fact that for each pair the company sells, one pair is donated to a needy child. 

While out shopping with my dd one day, she was stopped 3 times by other 20ish young ladies who were asking or complimenting her about her shoes.

Anyone who has any unusual or currently popular gift idea, I for one would like to know about it.. it's time to get the Christmas shopping in gear.

Scoop

I like giving magazine subscriptions.  Because a lot of the people I know just wouldn't spring for that for themselves, and it's the gift that keeps on giving.

elsieshaye

The Tom's shoes link is very cool.  I think there is a pair of pink glitter flats in my future...

I like to give gifts by local jewelry artists.  There are a couple of fall/winter craft fairs nearby, and I can usually get relatively inexpensive and very pretty/unique things there.  Last year it was beaded charm bracelets for everyone.  I make my own jewelry and would like to sell it someday, so I support people who already do that.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

LaurieS

Yes Tom's does appear to be a social conscience company.  The little internet snooping I've done, backs the fact that they really do give out a pair of shoes to needy kids for each one sold.  My dd is asking for the glitters and I think I'll get a pair for my son's Japanese girlfriend, but I have to find a way to convert her current japanese size to usa sizing.

elsieshaye

Scoop, you just gave me an idea for a gift for my XSIL.  The word "subscription" did it.  Amazon lets you do "subscriptions" to food and other consumable items.  She has a Keurig coffee maker, and I'll bet a year's subscription of the little pods the coffee maker uses would not be an unwelcome gift.

LaurieS

November 04, 2010, 01:08:32 PM #5 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:14:04 PM by Laurie
Quote from: elsieshaye on November 04, 2010, 12:58:22 PM
Scoop, you just gave me an idea for a gift for my XSIL.  The word "subscription" did it.  Amazon lets you do "subscriptions" to food and other consumable items.  She has a Keurig coffee maker, and I'll bet a year's subscription of the little pods the coffee maker uses would not be an unwelcome gift.
That would make my day.. you can set up two different types of coffee and alternate them.. a wonderful gift idea and you would get the 15% off as well. How sweet of you to give a gift to your Xsil, she must have been special.

LaurieS

My DIL already has a Miche purse and I've given her shell's as well.. I think I'm going to get one for my son's gf for Christmas.. it's a good idea.. you purchase one base purse in brown or black... then you can change the outside shells ... saves you from having to change out  your purse
http://www.michebag.com/

LaurieS

barelythere

LaurieS

Pen

All of your talk is making me a bit more enthusiastic about the holidays. It's great to find out your ideas. Very inspirational. I was feeling overwhelmed and getting stressed, but I think I can manage now with a little time spent organizing :) Gotta kick it into high gear here shortly.

Love the Miche idea for DIL. I hope it will work with our newly revised budget for DS/DIL this year. Let the weaning begin (they're both doing well and get thoroughy spoiled by DIL's FOO too, so dry your eyes, you old softies!)

Some women at work sell Scentsy. I'll take a look next time I'm in their department. And BB & B - how great are their sales and coupons? DDD likes to make bath salts and scrubs so we're planning a work day very soon. Fun! Time to put on the holiday tunes (run, DH, run!)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

Laurie, my XSIL is awesome.  The X has some serious cognitive and emotional issues and is (finally, after 30 years of refusing and fighting applying for it) on full disability.  She has basically been his primary support since I left him 12 years ago, and he fights her every step of the way.  He can be extremely verbally abusive, and yet she has never abandoned him - in fact, she has arranged things so that there is a trust set aside that he can draw on for emergencies (of which he has many, because he cannot/does not plan).  She's been a wonderful and supportive aunt to DS as well, and very welcoming and kind to me.  She definitely understands why I left her brother.  The only area in which she and I disagree is that I am planning on cutting all contact with the X as soon as DS turns 18 (10 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours and 51 minutes from now, lol).  She understands, but I think it will leave her feeling very much alone to handle him. 

LaurieS

Quote from: elsieshaye on November 05, 2010, 07:16:40 AM
as soon as DS turns 18 (10 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours and 51 minutes from now, lol)
That was funny... do you have the count down clock on your desktop? 
I think the coffee is a wonderful idea.. I have the cuisinart machine and love love love it.. no more stumbling around trying to put together coffee/filters/water when I'm still 90% asleep....  My mom gives the most horrendous gifts, I'm dropping the hint today that this would be the perfect gift.

elsieshaye

Haha, yes actually I do have the countdown on my desktop.  It makes me laugh and helps me not react to the X's inane emails.  ::)

barelythere

Quote from: elsieshaye on November 06, 2010, 08:25:22 PM
Haha, yes actually I do have the countdown on my desktop.  It makes me laugh and helps me not react to the X's inane emails.  ::)

What the heck is that?