March 28, 2024, 03:41:29 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Why Can't Candice Olsen Have MIL Issues?

Started by LaurieS, November 03, 2010, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomama

When my TH would stay out late drinking, I'd rearrange the furniture and then listen to him 'sneak' in. Once I gave the kids Sharpies and let them play 'Connect the Dots" on him while he was passed out.

When I start looking around the room, everybody makes a run for it. I've been designing my new house for 3 years, right down to the light sockets. I figure this is the last home I'll have, so I better be happy with it!

What are you stuck on?

Pooh

Quote from: barelythere on November 03, 2010, 03:40:36 PM
Quote from: Laurie on November 03, 2010, 03:32:25 PM
BT.. I'm sorry to tell you this but vinegar can help with that splinter

How To Remove Splinters-Vinegar/Peroxide and Baking Soda
This is the only remedy that really works. Reliably.

Because while other suggest warm water and baking soda, or using a debriding agent like a salicylic patch, these don't work. Those methods may soften the skin sufficiently so that you can remove the splinter a bit more easily, but they don't actually cause a chemical reaction that causes an embedded splinter to move towards the surface of the skin Much as those who rely on the warm water/baking soda aver, there is no chemical reaction going on there. It's inert.

With vinegar/peroxide and baking soda, there is a chemical reaction. That initial bubbling reaction that you get may stop, but the interaction of the two ingredients that causes that initial bubbling? That continues to work more subtly on the finger. And, after about twenty minutes of soaking, the splinter will move closer to the surface of the skin. And it can then be painlessly, and I do mean painlessly, removed with tweezers.

This is unbelievable.  Thank you.  It truly is a wonder, this vinegar.  I will try it.

Nooooo BT!  Don't do it!  It's a trap.  They want to lure you into their vinegar cult with promises of grandeur.  Next they will convince you to put on red and white checkered aprons that say "Kiss the Cook" and leave tiny Christmas presents for the mailman, wrapped in colorful tinsel in the mailbox!  It is just the beginning of their planned takeover!  Resist! Resist!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

barelythere

Quote from: Pooh on November 04, 2010, 06:53:02 AM
Quote from: barelythere on November 03, 2010, 03:40:36 PM
Quote from: Laurie on November 03, 2010, 03:32:25 PM
BT.. I'm sorry to tell you this but vinegar can help with that splinter

How To Remove Splinters-Vinegar/Peroxide and Baking Soda
This is the only remedy that really works. Reliably.

Because while other suggest warm water and baking soda, or using a debriding agent like a salicylic patch, these don't work. Those methods may soften the skin sufficiently so that you can remove the splinter a bit more easily, but they don't actually cause a chemical reaction that causes an embedded splinter to move towards the surface of the skin Much as those who rely on the warm water/baking soda aver, there is no chemical reaction going on there. It's inert.

With vinegar/peroxide and baking soda, there is a chemical reaction. That initial bubbling reaction that you get may stop, but the interaction of the two ingredients that causes that initial bubbling? That continues to work more subtly on the finger. And, after about twenty minutes of soaking, the splinter will move closer to the surface of the skin. And it can then be painlessly, and I do mean painlessly, removed with tweezers.

This is unbelievable.  Thank you.  It truly is a wonder, this vinegar.  I will try it.

Nooooo BT!  Don't do it!  It's a trap.  They want to lure you into their vinegar cult with promises of grandeur.  Next they will convince you to put on red and white checkered aprons that say "Kiss the Cook" and leave tiny Christmas presents for the mailman, wrapped in colorful tinsel in the mailbox!  It is just the beginning of their planned takeover!  Resist! Resist!

OMG!  I almost fell for it!  Pooh, why me?  I guess they can spot a recruit in the crowd.   :'(

elsieshaye

Laurie and the Vinegar Crew,

Your hints have crept into my head (and yes I bookmarked the vinegar site), and last night I wiped down the counters and microwave with vinegar, cleaned the garbage disposal with a vinegar/baking soda volcano, and left a bowl of vinegar out in the kitchen to help with post-dinner smells.  We'll see how it goes this afternoon when I come home.  Between that and scooping the catboxes twice a day, my apartment should smell like a very clean salad!   ;D
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pen

Cat box salad? Yum! I always thought those little nuggets looked more like Almond Roca.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

LaurieS

The beauty of cleaning with vinegar (inexpensive white for cleaning) is twofold. You are not working with harmful chemicals, while yes there are some things that should not be cleaned with vinegar (pearls dissolve) and there are some things not to be mixed with vinegar (bleach).  But two of the best are the reduction of cleaning cost and cleaning supply storage.  When I was babysitting my son's pet rats, they are very sensitive to odors, yet I knew I could sanitize their cage without killing them. My Mister Betta Fish, loves when I clean his home with it  as well.

I actually started using vinegar years ago when I was cleaning houses.  This lady had a lot of calcium built up on her sink drains.  I closed the plunger, poured in a little straight vinegar and after soaking for 10 minutes the gunk came right off.  Once I realized that it also neutralized the air, I was hooked lol.

I've mentioned Dr. Bronner's as well here, and if you haven't tried it you might want to.. I know they are selling smaller bottles at Target.  http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm one of  my kids has really sensitive skin and he uses it to bathe with. My dad was sprayed by a skunk (Mom told him that there was a black and white cat in the outside cage, this will teach  him not to wear his glasses) they were so thankful that I had sent them some Dr. Bronner's as it could actually cut the smell. Dr. Bronner's  is very green and very safe.  I use it in my laundry and often as my bath soap.. I've even brushed my teeth with it but trust me crest taste better.  A drop or two in my vinegar  water and I am off to cleaning  like a mad woman.. and it doesn't hurt your hands.

Now if only I could convince my DIL that she could save TONS of money.. I was under her kitchen sink (no I was not being nosy, I  was  doing dishes), I've seen her type before, buying one of every chemical does not make your house cleaner if you don't use them, yet she complains of storage problems.  We all learn at our own pace don't we.

Oh but you do need to report back in and let us know what your cats thought at the end of the day.

LaurieS

I made the cat litter cake.. and well it's pretty gross looking, but warming up the tootsie rolls and shaping them was quite interesting

justdontunderstand

More From the Vinegar Cult  ;)

I use vinegar for canker sores which I get alot because they are a stress related problem (Big surprise I get them all the time isn't it :o. It stings like crazy when you put the vinegar directly to the sore on a Q-tip, it really works--something about restoring the PH of the mouth. Also, try Milk of Magnesia for canker sores-- will help heal larger or multiple sores. 

So, slap my face and call me biscuit--I believe in VINEGAR!

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

So, slap my face and call me biscuit

I never heard that one.. If I had to put a  face to that statement she would look like Paula Deen.

LaurieS

I can't find the thread where Jomama asked what I was stuck on with my house.. I've never used flickr to upload so we'll see if it works.. but I took pictures of my kitchen/tv/game rooms.. they still have that just moved in look going on.  I have another painting arriving for my tv room, but the problem areas are, back wall in game room (I found a really cool large mirror, but hubby can't see it there).. TV room, I need to make the fireplace wall pop.. the kitchen is right next to this room, so I don't  think I can use tile on the fp without it conflicting with the kitchen.. I wanted a giant sheet of gray glass on that wall but dh can't seem to pick the right set of weekly numbers.  Any and all input.. GO... oh I don't want to over do it on photos, and trying to keep a more contemporary straight line look
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwu_laurie/  You can post your comments directly on the flickr site

Meantime I thought I'd share my dh's latest accomplishment, he's so proud of his little fountain

elsieshaye

Oh, that's neat-looking!  How tall is that stone?

LaurieS

It's only about 4' but weighed well over 1000 pounds.. I was kind laying on the ground when I took that.. that's the extent of my trick photography.. now if I could figure out how to make myself look taller and thinner

LaurieS

Here is a more realistic view of the stone fountain.. in the end it would have been more cost efficient to have a fountain in the pool itself....