March 29, 2024, 05:17:15 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

House cleaning as a release

Started by LaurieS, October 28, 2010, 11:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Quote from: barelythere on November 01, 2010, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: Laurie on November 01, 2010, 07:23:41 PM
I don't know if this is on their list.. but I clean my fish bowl and colorful rocks with vinegar as well.  Honest BT, it will save you a mint in cleaning supplies and work better then most.. Leave a bottle out for your cleaning lady :)

Oh I believe you. I'm just afraid she'll think it's for her internal cleansing and get all confused.

Oh oh oh....ha ha ha ha ha ha.  That brought back a memory from my childhood!  I remember that HUGE bag hanging from the shower curtain and the bottle of vinegar by the tub!!!  Ha ha ha....oh my sides are hurting!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

Yay, Pen - I'm a SHE, too, and a Flybaby.  What I currently use is a card system/control journal hybrid.  It keeps me from drowning, but I'm going to have to kick it up a notch as I'm creeping back into CHAOS.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

cremebrulee

November 02, 2010, 10:08:13 AM #32 Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:17:15 AM by cremebrulee
I have a front end loader washing machine....after 1 1/2 years, I started noticing this awful oder ( I'm a clean freak and notice odars right  away)....sour smell and musty oder coming from the machine and in my clothes...I did a lot of research and found out, liquid detergents build up around the seal and liquid fabric softener is a  no no, so I bought arm and hammer powder, and put some vinegar in the wash along with it, and wow, it cleans....so now I use fabric softener sheets in the dryer and walla, no more Oder

It works

some say to rinse out machine with clorox or amonia, that did not help...others said, there is an item you can purchase at Home Depot specifically for cleaning around the seal...I wanted something that was more efficent and wouldn't build up...so, this worked for me....

kathleen

Creme,

I've read that leaving the door open after washing a load can help prevent the odor.  I didn't buy a front end loader for that reason as cannot
afford to have the door opening onto the space I have.  I bought an HE top loader and so far no problems.

Kathleen

cremebrulee

Hi Kathleen

thanks but...
nope, that didn't help either....I went online and there were countless complaints so, I tried the powder as a last resort and not using the liquid fabric softner....it worked...

apparently liquid fabric softner has petrolium in it or something like that which clogs and sticks to everything....so....?

But yes, I still do leave the door open, and believe you me, they do save water....

there for a while I was ready to junk the thing...

kathleen

More vinegar----

I forgot to mention that some vinegar in the rinse water for lettuce, veggies, and fruits is supposed to remove pesticides and protect lettuce against e-coli.  (Also I rinse my lettuce quickly in hot water, a tip from Julia Child.)  Laurie, have you read this?

Kathleen

LaurieS

I know about the vinegar water rinse for veggies.. I do that if I plan on leaving the skins intact.. but never heard about rinsing lettuce in hot water.. what benefits would there be?

Creme... I too had the odor coming from my front load washer.. I was sick about it.. as I bought one of the high quality units thinking I was buying less problems.  Like you I found on the net that the liquid soap was one of the probable  causes.. I switched to powdered and I place it directly into the machine, not the  dispenser.  I also fill both the fabric softener and bleach dispensers with vinegar.. so one is released in the wash cycle, the other in the rinse.. with that I have no need to use dryer sheets which they warn against use in the new machines.. messes up the sensors.   You can wipe the seal around  the door with diluted vinegar as well to keep it fresh... I do not leave my door open but do try to get my wet clothes out asap.

One day my house was taken over with the smell of sewer gas.. found out that my drain hose from the washer was pushed to deeply into the drain and was not allowing the water seal in the p-trap, so the gases were filling the room.. talk about gross.

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 02, 2010, 07:23:34 PM
I know about the vinegar water rinse for veggies.. I do that if I plan on leaving the skins intact.. but never heard about rinsing lettuce in hot water.. what benefits would there be?

Creme... I too had the odor coming from my front load washer.. I was sick about it.. as I bought one of the high quality units thinking I was buying less problems.  Like you I found on the net that the liquid soap was one of the probable  causes.. I switched to powdered and I place it directly into the machine, not the  dispenser.  I also fill both the fabric softener and bleach dispensers with vinegar.. so one is released in the wash cycle, the other in the rinse.. with that I have no need to use dryer sheets which they warn against use in the new machines.. messes up the sensors.   You can wipe the seal around  the door with diluted vinegar as well to keep it fresh... I do not leave my door open but do try to get my wet clothes out asap.

One day my house was taken over with the smell of sewer gas.. found out that my drain hose from the washer was pushed to deeply into the drain and was not allowing the water seal in the p-trap, so the gases were filling the room.. talk about gross.

I cannot tell you how overwhelmed I am with this information. 

LaurieS

You do, do  your own laundry don't you BT  :P

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 02, 2010, 08:14:04 PM
You do, do  your own laundry don't you BT  :P

I think about doing it.  It's so tedious but yes, I do it when pushed to the edge. I don't love it. I hate it.  There is no joy in it, all the spinning and waiting and folding. And there's more and more, it never stops, coming day after day after day. I think it's trying to destroy me.

LaurieS

Since the kids have moved away, the laundry is almost to easy to keep up with.  I did realize something that I do hate to do... change the sheets on the beds, that is such a chore to me.. I love clean great smelling sheets but putting on that darn fitted sheet is such the pain.

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 02, 2010, 08:41:05 PM
Since the kids have moved away, the laundry is almost to easy to keep up with.  I did realize something that I do hate to do... change the sheets on the beds, that is such a chore to me.. I love clean great smelling sheets but putting on that darn fitted sheet is such the pain.

Isn't it though?  Tugging and pulling and bending...oh, the humanity.  I feel like I'm wasting time doing this.  I truthfully would love to sleep on sheets hung in the sun to dry.  I likely never will.  Such a wonderful smell.

LaurieS

Mopping
As I promised BT, I would discuss mopping techniques.  I'm willing to bet that Kathleen already mops her floors in the most efficient manner but I came across this mop that I had never seen.  It's a flat head mop here is an example:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7L26K/ref=oss_product     I also purchased 12 of the terry cloth covers.  You can make up one bucket of cleaning solution (hot water,vinegar, and a touch of Dr Bronner's is my suggestion) The beauty is you toss the covers into the bucket, as one cover becomes soiled you simply remove it and grab a clean one... your wash water stays clean, thus saving you money and chemicals and very little water is left on the floor... when done all covers go into the washer, so never a wet mop to deal with... these covers when clean and dry can also wipe down walls, and wood floors.  I use the mop and covers in my shower which is like a human car wash, to wipe the tiles.  Of course I've sprayed vinegar onto all my polished chrome fixtures.. a quick rinse at the end and presto..   Whatcha think of that BT?

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 02, 2010, 08:58:25 PM
Mopping
As I promised BT, I would discuss mopping techniques.  I'm willing to bet that Kathleen already mops her floors in the most efficient manner but I came across this mop that I had never seen.  It's a flat head mop here is an example:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7L26K/ref=oss_product     I also purchased 12 of the terry cloth covers.  You can make up one bucket of cleaning solution (hot water,vinegar, and a touch of Dr Bronner's is my suggestion) The beauty is you toss the covers into the bucket, as one cover becomes soiled you simply remove it and grab a clean one... your wash water stays clean, thus saving you money and chemicals and very little water is left on the floor... when done all covers go into the washer, so never a wet mop to deal with... these covers when clean and dry can also wipe down walls, and wood floors.  I use the mop and covers in my shower which is like a human car wash, to wipe the tiles.  Of course I've sprayed vinegar onto all my polished chrome fixtures.. a quick rinse at the end and presto..   Whatcha think of that BT?

Oh, I'm sorry, I nodded off.  What were you saying?

LaurieS

Yes I do think a cup of tea sounds delightful