March 28, 2024, 01:03:54 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

House cleaning as a release

Started by LaurieS, October 28, 2010, 11:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelythere

Quote from: kathleen on October 28, 2010, 06:59:21 PM
Laurie, I, too, have new HD washing machine!  Green clean-o-mania at it's very best!  I'll try the straight vinegar on the windows, tho I'm not hopeful.

My husband too thinks he may have died and become a piece of lettuce in one of my vinegar salads.

Cheers for all the clean spaces in the world,

Kathleen

OMG.  You make me want to change and start cleaning myself instead of getting others to do it. I feel like I'm lying, though.  I hope you two are happy in your vinegar things.

kathleen

Laurie or anyone, this is off topic, but does anyone know if vinegar does any damage to a sceptic system?  I haven't been able to find that out, and there is so much conflicting info out there,

Thanks, Kathleen

Orly

I live with trolls, so cleaning involves shovels, back-hoes and assorted other implements.  I do not feel relaxed doing it!  In fact, I hate it!   Give me a book, a soda, the tv remote, my needlepoint/crochet/knitting/x-stitch/embroidery project, computer time, ......just anything BUT keeping up with the troll litter/messes.

Pooh

I too find cleaning very relaxing....I can watch my DH do it all day!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on October 29, 2010, 10:46:50 AM
I too find cleaning very relaxing....I can watch my DH do it all day!
Funny

LaurieS

I stripped the beds down today and sprayed the mattress with vinegar, I then made sure I used vinegar as a softener in the laundry and just remade the bed... It smells wonderfully clean.  I also sprayed the inside of my luggage before storing it which I had never thought to do before.  I had to take my vacuum apart and replace the bag, so I sprayed it and wiped it down as well.. got all that musty smell taken care of.... I wish I had the rainbow system.. If I wasn't broke right now after building this house I would be the first woman to actually ask for a vacuum for Christmas.

kathleen

Laurie,

Of course, be sure you let things dry out after spraying with vinegar, before you close up the suitcase or put the sheets on, etc.  But yes, it's wonderful on bare mattresses or on sheets before making the bed.  I spray mine when I get up and air the sheets before putting the blankets back on.

A little bowl of vinegar under the mattress also will absorb odors.  It won't hurt the carpet if it gets spilled, but it would hurt a wood floor.

I have also found it to be a very effective air cleaner, without all those chemicals (I hate synthetic smells.)  I just spray it in any room after
cooking, bathroom, etc.  Works like a charm and so cheap.

Happy cleaning,

Kathleen

Pen

Love the vinegar and baking soda! But I'm an official Sidetracked Home Executive - I can get very focused on cleaning the fridge with q-tips (I'm exaggerating here) while letting the dishes pile up on the counter. You organized types are what I aim to be when I grow up!

And I have yet to figure out why it is that DH & I both work outside the home but the cleanliness of the house is my responsibility. We've come a moderate way, baby?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Barbie

Kathleen,
Thanks for the tip. I'm a neat/clean freak myself but never knew about the vinegar and baking soda. Will have to give it a try.

LaurieS

Barbie, here is a  link you might want to look at  http://www.vinegartips.com

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 01, 2010, 07:19:38 PM
Barbie, here is a  link you might want to look at  http://www.vinegartips.com

Oh Lord help me.  A vinegar website.  :-[

LaurieS

I don't know if this is on their list.. but I clean my fish bowl and colorful rocks with vinegar as well.  Honest BT, it will save you a mint in cleaning supplies and work better then most.. Leave a bottle out for your cleaning lady :)

barelythere

Quote from: Laurie on November 01, 2010, 07:23:41 PM
I don't know if this is on their list.. but I clean my fish bowl and colorful rocks with vinegar as well.  Honest BT, it will save you a mint in cleaning supplies and work better then most.. Leave a bottle out for your cleaning lady :)

Oh I believe you. I'm just afraid she'll think it's for her internal cleansing and get all confused.

LaurieS

barelythere