March 28, 2024, 09:00:02 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Shortcuts for words

Started by Louey0727, October 25, 2010, 01:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louey0727

Hi:
Some ladies use (not sure if you call it shortcuts) for words, such as FOO, IMO, IMHO etc. etc.
The only one that I am familiar with by working in a office is FYI - For your information.
Is there a website where you can find the meaning of these "are they called shortcuts - or what are they called"?
I have two friends on Facebook, that they mainly use "shortcuts or abbreviations" such L0L (which I think, means Lots of Love,) is that right?
I am sorry if I sound ignorant about this new lingo, but I am a loss where to find out their meanins.
Thanks everyone

miss_priss

Hi Helen - there was JUST a post last week on this very topic...I believe the title was "Abbreviations" or something along those lines?

Louey0727

I( found a site for texting abbreviations:

Went to Google, typed in Abbreviations for Texting, there were many, but I chose :-
A listing of Texting Abbreviations, Yahoo Answers.
L0L (means Laughing Out Load) now why would someone keep inserting L0L into a sentence when they are typing?  Makes no sense to me, I really thought it mean't LOTS OF LOVE, I always sign off typing in L0L - - so that means I was laughing out loud!!!!!!!!
What ever happened to writing out a word, it keeps my mind and spelling alert!

cadagi101

Helen0214,

over the years I recieved emails that had LOL in them.  I thought the same as you and  I would also think  wow they are a bit being familiar writing Lots of Love when I hardly know them...   So..you are not the only one...lol (laugh out loud)   I wonder what the shortcut to Lots of Love is

Louey0727

Hi Julia:
I really started something - - but should we have to know all these abbreviations, we want to be part of this new generation of shortening words, don't we?  Personally, I do not care, but lately my best friend's GC's  sends me chat messages and have no clue what they are saying, so now I can write back using "abbreviations" not too bad for ole lady, they may think.
Another link is:-
Webopedia - Text Messaging and Chat Abbreviations  www.webopedia/com
HOLY COW - PRINTED OUT 19 PAGES OF CHAT/TEXT ABBREVIATIONS.
AAK - Asleep at keyboard
Helen

Louey0727

Oops, I forgot to say something:-
L0L also means Lots of Love.
Helen

cadagi101

Quote from: Helen0214 on October 25, 2010, 02:49:18 PM
Hi Julia:
I really started something - - but should we have to know all these abbreviations, we want to be part of this new generation of shortening words, don't we?  Personally, I do not care, but lately my best friend's GC's  sends me chat messages and have no clue what they are saying, so now I can write back using "abbreviations" not too bad for ole lady, they may think.
Another link is:-
Webopedia - Text Messaging and Chat Abbreviations  www.webopedia/com
HOLY COW - PRINTED OUT 19 PAGES OF CHAT/TEXT ABBREVIATIONS.
AAK - Asleep at keyboard
Helen
[/color]

well done!!  I will admit at 47 I still don't text.   

1. I don't know all the jargon

2. I don't need to know.

3. we don't have mobile service and only getting town 1x2weeks.  (when I do go to town i have the company of 2 mobile phones so the children can get their messages.

4. my eyes aren't that great..I don't need glasses yet but texting is more frustrating than it's worth.   

5. I texted my dd I would pk her up 4 a miske (milkshake) they still remind me they had no idea what I was talking about!!