March 28, 2024, 09:56:46 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Books

Started by AnnieB, September 15, 2009, 08:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieB

I wasn't sure where to put recommended reading stuff....

Just finished reading 'Mothers-in-Law and Daughters-in-Law; Love, Hate, Rivalry and Reconciliation" by Susan Shapiro Barash.   

An interesting read.   She interviewed hundreds of MIL's and DIL's -- this book is the result, offering her conclusions about why conflicts happen, with her opinions about the son's participation or lack thereof and how that can make matters better or worse.   There are "tips" from experts -- but mostly these are just advises on what can make things smoother or worse.  No clear answers or cures, just like real life!   It shows how complex the MIL and DIL relationship can be, how many variables are at play (expectations from both sides; the DIL's relationship with her own mother; the MIL's relationship with her son; the son's willingness and ability to step in; the other MIL's influence, SIL's influences, etc.).  She also brings up the effect of time, both positive and negative.   

An interesting read from an analytical perspective -- it made me think about things from several new angles -- just don't expect it to be an easy "Step One"   cure!

just2baccepted

I wonder if it comes in audiobook?

AnnieB

I don't think so :(  a small publisher, I couldn't even find it in the library, had to order it on-line

luise.volta

Interesting! Thanks! I love it when people recommend books.  :D Now, all I have to do is catch up on what I have at hand and slow down with the mysteries! (A few more hours in the day wouldn't hurt, either...and I'm retired!)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama