March 28, 2024, 01:58:16 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

State of the "Dis" Union

Started by justdontunderstand, February 09, 2011, 07:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justus

You make me feel like a really bad DIL. My ILs live way across the country. Granted, they have not made much of an effort to get to know me at all. We like each other when we see each other, but that is where it ends. *shrug* But, then, I am the kind of person who has to write on the calender to call my own children once a week so I will remember to call them.

I don't take their disinterest personally because they put just slightly more effort into having a relationship with DH. It isn't really about me. For various reasons, DH isn't important because he has dropped the rope on the family drama. He wont' play, so he isn't worth the effort.

It sounds like your situation is much different, but I think you should take it as personally as I do, which means, don't. Obviously, you are not one of her priorities. It is what it is. For whatever reason that is all about her, she choses to have all contact go through her DH. She isn't stopping him from having contact, and she doesn't seem adverse to limited contact, so let it go. She just isn't that into. You can't change it, so don't sweat it.