March 28, 2024, 11:05:37 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

This is a true story

Started by cremebrulee, October 20, 2010, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomama

Quote from: Orly on October 21, 2010, 01:57:47 PM
"when I was a kid, and we were sick, went to the doctors, the big thing then was you got a shot of Penicillin for everything....and I mean everything.....does anyone else remember that? "

Yes, I remember going for those shots to clear up an infection near my mastoid bone that started as an ear infection.  The water in the Lake of the Ozarks and my ear canal just didn't get along.  Before those if you had a bad infection you dealt with it with sulfa or other alternative treatments.  My mother had a bad kidney infection and it was treated with sulfa drugs and strychnine injections.  I'm glad we are past those methods of curing something with rat poison....of course, from what I've heard about chemo ...maybe we aren't.

The Ozarks! Now that brings back memories. Speaking of lake water- I was sick for weeks, down to 76 lbs. before a flip remark to one of the docs lead to the diagnosis- giardiasis. Seems Lake of Egypt had a sewage problem. :o Haven't swam in a lake since; if I can't see the bottom I ain't getting in!

Pooh

Working where I do, we dispatch for animal control.  In Tennessee, it is a state law that a doctor or hospital must report all animal bites.  Animal control tries to locate the owner and verify shots.  If they don't have them, they too are cited to court.  Then the person bit can file a civil suit to claim all their bills.  It gets very ugly.

We have had many calls of infections from cat bites.  Shocked me at first because I thought dog bites would be the issue until I started working around it all the time.  We have more dog bites, but they normally turn out ok.  The cat bites are fewer, but tend to cause more infections and illness.  I asked the animal control guys about it out of curiosity and they said the belief is, cats will put rats, moles, mice, pretty much anything in their mouths.  The type of animals they normally catch and play with, are the ones more apt to carry disease and infectious stuff.  And animal owners are less likely to take a cat to the vet for shots and such as they are for dogs.  Just their take on it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell