April 23, 2024, 03:57:13 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I't always about them

Started by barelythere, October 17, 2010, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelythere

You know when they say that no matter how someone acts toward you, it's always about them, the way they're feeling, etc.?  Well, yesterday, the son who has been so removed and remote and even bitter at times calls us on the phone and is all cheerful.  He's had a huge promotion at work. That's what's been the matter with him this whole time. Feeling kind of bad about himself in the middle of all his ultra-successful friends and their second homes and mansions.  (his mansion is pretty spectacular to me.

Anyway, when one of your family is treating you badly, it's usually about them and what they're going thru. Sometimes not, but sometimes it is. 

To all of you who are worrying about keeping on with your DILs, no matter how mean they are to you, do keep on. If there are kids involved, the kids will grow up and it will make you feel so much better to know you tried.  You can back off and keep sending things too.  If they're sent back, send again and again. 

luise.volta

Wonderful about your son! Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Barbie

Barely,
Good to hear that! Thanks for sharing.

Annie123

B.T, Thank you for sharing with us your happy news. I'm happy for your Son and your family!
I've noticed within my own family tree that many get so tied up in "What" that have and "How" much they have. I told one of my own Sons just the other day when he was talking about buying another speed boat. I told him.. "Son, what does it matter what you have if you aren't ever off and rested enough to enjoy it?" And it was a eye opening statement he said to me later. I had told him of course how proud we are of his success! But I told him that all the gold in the world wasn't worth a dime if you don't have time to enjoy just being alive. Sounds like your Son has alot of pressure on him also. I'm glad it all worked out for the good!

barelythere

Quote from: Annie123 on October 17, 2010, 07:11:43 PM
B.T, Thank you for sharing with us your happy news. I'm happy for your Son and your family!
I've noticed within my own family tree that many get so tied up in "What" that have and "How" much they have. I told one of my own Sons just the other day when he was talking about buying another speed boat. I told him.. "Son, what does it matter what you have if you aren't ever off and rested enough to enjoy it?" And it was a eye opening statement he said to me later. I had told him of course how proud we are of his success! But I told him that all the gold in the world wasn't worth a dime if you don't have time to enjoy just being alive. Sounds like your Son has alot of pressure on him also. I'm glad it all worked out for the good!

Thanks, Annie...isn't it strange how we always blame ourselves

Nana

Barelythere:

Congratulations..  So you see, another good news.  First, your Birthday was great and now this....things are coming along wonderfully.

You sound so optimistic and positive.  Good for you

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare