March 28, 2024, 04:02:29 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Fat MIL

Started by catchingup, October 09, 2010, 11:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie123

Creme, Hun, I have no idea what would ever make someone hurt a child..??? All I've ever been able to make sense of something like that by believing they must have Devil in them? Why else could you ever hurt someone so clean and pure as a child?
There are many , many things about "Humans" I'll never understand.. Thank god!
But I believe in prayer, God , love, trust,faith,family and many things good! Just as I believe in Evil, meanness, spite, hatefulness. All things bad. I choose to live as good as I can so I can look myself in the eye need be. And I pray.. A-LOT! ;)

Faithlooksup

WOW!!  That is awful--who cares who is fat, thin, ugly, bald, on and on for it is the Love and goodness which is in our hearts that counts.... So here we go again...if the parents mock the GP's then the GC will do the same.  Horrible~~this is just so sad... :(

catchingup

Have the wise women on this forum noticed that this is one of the posts that has a high number of views.
"Fat mother in law" seems to have attracted attention.
Are we all needing to go on diet??
Just bantering ;D :D ;)

luise.volta

Well, I'm 30 over, so I don't want to talk about it!  >:(
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

I wish I was as fat now as I used to think I was.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

kathleen

Pen,

Absolutely loved your phrase, "I wish I was as fat now as I used to think I was."  Brilliant!

Maybe the Fat Police should come to all senior centers, assisted living and nursing homes now and arrest the bake sale ladies like they want to do in grade schools.  That would help cut down on the MIL fat problem.

If my grandmother ever ate anything green, red, or yellow, I never saw it.  She loved red meat, sugar, butter, salt, and anything fried.  Lived to be 93; took no pills whatsoever; no health problems until she broke her hip.  Think how long she could have lived if she'd eaten tofu and seaweed all her life.

Kathleen

Pen

My gran too, Kathleen - she smoked, drank coffee and red wine too. Her cookies were amazing! She did like her farm-fresh veg, & mostly everything she ate they raised themselves while they had the farm so it was at least natural. But I do remember my grandpa poaching eggs in bacon grease! I can't imagine doing so now, but it sounds good in a Homer Simpson sort of way  ;) Mmmmmm, bacon...not that there's anything wrong with tofu and seagreens, we eat those too.

I do think school lunches could be healthier - in our district they're getting better but for years they were absolutely disgusting like really bad old school "roach coach" packaged mystery meat concoctions and not a salad within ten miles. But banning bake sales sounds like an extreme measure, doesn't it? So far our district hasn't done that as far as I know, probably figuring that if it isn't during actual school hours the low-sugar, low-fat regime isn't enforced. They no longer sell sugar/high fructose corn syrup sodas on campuses but the kids & teachers bring them in, or so I've heard. A quick look in the recycle bins while walking through any campus will confirm that.

A lot of districts have cut phys ed classes and the kids are getting kinda chunky. They can't run around all afternoon like we used to because their parents are afraid to let them out of their sight. I remember as a young 'un being gone all day; we'd walk miles back and forth to each other's houses, forts, favorite hang outs in the nearest town, etc. Maybe that's why I'm wishing I was as fat now as I used to think I was? I don't run around as much either. I'm glued to WWU, LOL!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

lmesich

after reading the post i am stuck with a dilemma. for one hand i am overweight and have a very small legs and a very large tummy. size 8 legs and size 18 tummy. even though i am odd looking i have found myself having underlying thoughts about fat people. for one, i have some friends who are very large, 500 pounds and we had a party. i found myself not wanting to invite them. than my ex is very big and found myself not wanting to introduce him has my ex because i didn't want anyone to think i would be married to someone so obese.
the reason i am bringing this up is to free myself by being honest about the things that can go on inside of us in our heart of hearts. I am ashamed of me and am sickened that i had these feelings. that are so wrong. none the less it had crossed my mind. I guess i don't want to judge people for something that i am capable of feeling. It is so wrong to think like this and feel this way and i am so glad i am luckily able to pay attention to my thoughts and self correct and self monitor. I want to change those little thoughts, quiet little subtle ideas like tremors of wrong thoughts that come at us daily. i hope that more people can admit and actively try to change these thoughts and bad feelings that can happen

kathleen

Pen,

In considering all this emphasis on low sugar, low fat in the schools, I was thinking back on what I ate growing up.  We didn't have access to sugar in our grade school, but in high school anyone could get anything they wanted pretty much any time.  My mother, who always had fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grain bread, gave in to my finicky appetite and packed bologna sandwiches on white bread, potato chips, and Hostess cream-filled cupcakes.  She tried to sneak in a piece of fruit but I often didn't eat it.  Somehow we survived on this diet, not the healthiest.

I was a skinny kid.  Probably this was due to the fact that three times a day, except in the very coldest weather, we put on all our stuff and ran around outside---fifteen minutes in the morning and fifteen in the afternoon and 45 after lunch.  There were almost no overweight kids in our school. 

The "hot" lunches, supposedly more healthy, probably actually had more fat in them than my sandwiches.  Lots of gloppy mac and cheese, etc.

I agree with you therefore that the lack of recess is a key to all this.  We never even had a school gym.  It was just taken for granted that being outside was the healthiest way to get exercise and let off steam; kids were better able to concentrate in the classroom; and these play periods weren't regimented in terms of mandatory games or exercises, etc.  I guess now part of it is that some schools are so worried that kids will get grabbed if they have too much freedom?

Kathleen

luise.volta

Yes, I remember one overweight kid in school and one where we spent our summers and it was seen and experienced.as abnormal. We all knew there was something terribly wrong.

stilltryen

A story of perspectives ladies:

My aunt always complained about her weight.  "I wish I could lose at least 10 pounds," blah, blah, blah.  One day I happened to be at her house having lunch and she mentioned it again.  I looked up, rather astonished.  She wasn't hugely fat, maybe a size 16.  I supposed I'd always heard it, but never really focused in on what she was saying.  Typical teenager, always in my own world.  However, that day it resonated and I said something to the effect of, "Wow, I've never before really paid attention to your weight.  You're such a warm, wonderful, loving woman - that's pretty much what I know.  After that, what do you care about other people's opinions?  You're perfect to me and I'll bet you're perfect in the eyes of God." 

Fast forward 4 decades to about 6 months ago.  I'm on the phone with her.  Sad to say, she has lost weight, a ton of it to be exact, and is now a whopping 85 pounds.  She's dying of cancer.  She told me that I was the only one who ever said anything to her when she was fat that made her feel extra special.  She said, "You know, they say God always answers your prayers, just not in the manner that you think he might.  Guess that's true - but I would give anything to be fat again."  Be careful what you wish for...............

Makes me cry again just to think of her.

luise.volta

What a gift you gave her! Bless your heart.

stilltryen

Quote from: luise.volta on February 09, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
What a gift you gave her! Bless your heart.

Thanks Luise.  I'm usually putting my foot in my mouth, yet oddly enough, I think that was pretty grown up for me at the time (I was about 14).  I, frankly, forgot all about it until she brought it up - and she remembered it word for word.  I'm thinking, "Oh yeah, I sort of recall.  Geez, I really said that?"  So I know that I said it straight from the heart without thinking. 

Tara

stilltryen,

what a touching story.  Thank you.  I appreciate your kind heart
and generosity with your aunt.