April 18, 2024, 04:10:24 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The New Generation of Parents....Striking Truth

Started by Nana, October 04, 2010, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Glitter, I agree. Respect is one of those emotional words like "freedom" which can mean many different things to as many different people. That's why I think "courtesy" or "manners" are better words to describe the behavior we hope others will exhibit. These ideas can be written clearly enough for anyone to follow, whereas the concept of respecting others is a bit nebulous and up to interpretation.

I may not respect someone else according to my understanding of the term, my bigoted neighbors for example, but I try to be courteous to them. I believe that a peaceful world is preferable to a world full of anger, and being courteous is a start. However, we all see examples of plain old rude behavior everyday: on TV, while driving, while standing in line at the market, at parent-teacher conferences, etc. etc. We may become immune to it after awhile and rudeness could become the new behavior norm if it hasn't already : (

Perhaps self-centered people who believe in stepping on others to get ahead don't see a need for courtesy. I hope most people aren't that way.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cdb

October 09, 2010, 03:12:58 AM #16 Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:18:55 AM by cdb
Thanks for the thought provoking post and replies. All I know is the generations always get written about in textbooks or soon to be, books on computers. How can each generation be compared to the others when technology etc. changes and so do morals and values on computers/television etc. I now have I Love Lucy on. That sums things up for me. I have one respectful child and one disrespectufl child. I do believe our society is very different now a days. I use to worry about my children watching MTV and had a lock on it. Now there are influences that shock me, even just cartoon ones for adults.
I say let's get back to respecting our elders, but with guns accessable to the young, gangs and a so many new drugs that are so easily accessible, even through the internet, how can we compare? Somehow we did the best we could and somehow our children still survived or didn't survive the outside influences that we may have not had alot of control over. Well, I may change my mind tomorrow, but for now, this is my take on things. I believe the textbook/computer will call the generation born in the 80s, the entitlement generation, but then again, that depends who writes the textbook. Then, what about the media and the Paris Hilton's and Reality Television and so much violence? Some of my aunts and uncles in their 80s have said to me that they are glad they won't be alive long enough to see what happens in the future. cdb