April 17, 2024, 09:56:56 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Sleep Apnea

Started by cdb, July 21, 2010, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdb

I read here that Luis.Volta's son died from sleep apnea at age 52. My heart goes out to you! I am still shaking as I too have sleep apnea and am 54. I am immune to all sleep meds and so I have not been using my bi-pap machine. It is set on the highest level it can be. I will be getting nasal surgery this fall to help bring more air into my body when I sleep. I am obese too and need to lose weight. I use to be a Licensed Nutritionist, so I know what to do. The stressors in my life, including why I joined this site, have caused me (or I choose to) eat unhealthy foods to feel comfort and to cope.
I have heard of sleep apnea being deadly too, but never knew of anyone whose loved one has passed on from it.
Any suggestions, input, etc are greatly appreciated. cdb

Pooh

Bless your heart.  I hope your surgery gives you some relief.  Sending prayers and wishes your way!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

My son tried all kinds of things but ten to fifteen years ago, here at least, there were no sleep clinics and no apparatus designed  to increase even breathing. He tried surgery on his throat and nose. He was very proactive.

Still it wasn't seen as anything serious. He would be so tired in the mornings sometimes he could hardly move and it bothered his wife to the point that she slept on a different floor of their home. He just paused in his breathing longer and longer and eventually had a stroke and died in his sleep. His wife found him curled up o his side, the stroke didn't wake him up.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cdb

I am so very sorry to hear about this, Luise. My heart goes out to you! One doctor said No to the throat surgery but two have said yes to the nasal surgery. Thanks for sharing this as it may help others, including me, be more proactive in today's options for treatment. cdb

luise.volta

You're welcome. It's a stealthy killer. My son was 52 and a grandfather...but that's way to young to die.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama