March 28, 2024, 01:58:01 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

A mother is always a mother

Started by AnnieB, September 02, 2009, 08:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just2baccepted

AnnieB

Quote from: just2baccepted on September 02, 2009, 07:14:33 PM
AnnieB - I like your posts.  By the way I was wondering is your mom able to function ok? 

She's fine.  Swims twice a week, lives alone so far  -- can't drive, which is very difficult because you give up a lot of independence when you give up the ability to drive. 

just2baccepted

AnnieB that's wonderful.  I know that can be hard not being able to drive but being able to swim, that's great.  I just don't think my aunt will live a whole lot longer.  She's only 71.  My mom thinks it was the RX called Baycol.  They took that off the shelf after some people died from it and some developed other problems.  They even consulted an attorney about the class action lawsuit against the maker of Baycol but my aunt and uncle decided not to do it because that would entail them suing the dr as well and they didn't want to do that.  But it would have been nice to help pay for her care.  Because I feel like its a matter of time until she has to go to a rest home.  I just don't know how much longer my uncle can take care of her.  My mom said that my aunts mind is really starting to go as well as her psychical.  My mom really thinks the Baycol weakened her blood vessels or something like that. 

luise.volta

Well, I'm greatly relieved that I didn't get popped off of my soap box by a water gun!  ;D

I would like to recommend that we not publish the URLs for hate sites and for those who are able, I would like...again....to suggest that you stop the self-torture of reading them. Please, for your own well-being, not mine. It's hard to build inner peace in a war zone.

And thirdly, I want to remind everyone about mutual respect. We can disagree with the premises presented by otherd but that does not not provide license for unkindness. If that doesn't make sense, please re-read the agreement under the Read Me First at the top of our Home Page. and re-commit. If it no longer makes sense, it's time to move to another kind of site where respect isn't an issue.

Thanks, one and all.  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

AnnieB

September 03, 2009, 03:34:15 PM #34 Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:35:55 PM by AnnieB
Yes - I apologize for starting this thread -- it was meant to be a semi-humorous reply to a common complaint but it seems to have triggered some heat.   :(   

Prissy

It was a very humorous thread, AnnieB....long live AnnieB!!!  ;)

luise.volta

Did anybody read my prayer? (Speaking of humor.) ;D

luise.volta

How about Minnie Mouse for an image? I was the only one with a real picture for obvious reasons...I'm the only one who isn't anonymous...

just2baccepted

Wouldn't it be neat to know what everyone looks like.    I'm sure most people do this but I have a picture in my head what some of you might look like.  Except Luise of course.  What's funny is I'm always wrong.   I didn't see my hubby's office for like two years and I always had this mental picture of it and I was totally off base when I saw it for the first time.

luise.volta

I do the same thing! And sometimes with people, if I have had my picture in my head for too long, it's hard to adjust!  ;D

I picked Minnie Mouse because she was created in 1928 and I was born in 1927. We were probably both on the drawing board at about the same time!  :D

SunnyDays09

That pic I chose as an av? is it?  was NOT me.  She is a performer or something Eva Habersham?  I think? 
   Minnie is hot!  AnnieB?  I am blonde too.  :)

I cleaned and cleaned yesterday.  Today ALL laundry and grocery shopping is done.  I am here with the fur kids. (I even cleaned THEM yesterday, too.  LOL)  We are having amazing weather today.  I might just take one of the furries for a walk.  Hope everyone is enjoying their day today!

AnnieB

Ha, I'm a fading redhead..... don't have the coloring for a blonde!  But in here... you can be what you want! (that realization comes from my Second Life, heh heh)...

luise.volta

I was trying to figure out what to wear for the award ceremony I told you about. The outfit I like best, beige and tan, looks terrible with my natural gray. So, I colored my hair to match my outfit!  :D ;D (Same color as in that picture.)

Maybe my next picture will be the whole truth and nothing but the truth. (Too late now!) :D

lostone

Being estranged from my son has caused me to go through 2 1/2 years of sadness and greif.  In fact, I just recently starting going to a grief recovery program.  So it feels like a slap to hear that because I miss my son, feel the need to talk about the situation (as the only thing I have left of him ) I could be considered being obsessive, and even worse creepy.  I wanted my son to have his own life, I just did not expect to never be allowed to see him or have the opportunity to even meet my grandkids.  I am not going to rehash why, point a finger, or lay blame at this time.  My point is that I am where I am and I am doing my best to accept it.  From what I am learning I may always greive my loss just less often and less intensely.

Here is a passage from the book "Journey to a New Beginning After A Loss" by Scott Reall

"Sadness is the feeling that speaks to how much we value what is missed, what is gone, and what is lost.  It also speaks of how deeply you value what you love, what you have, and what you live.  He goes on to explain that sadness is proportional - the more you value something the more it is going to hurt."

I value my sons (all 3 of them) as well as my husband more than anything else in this world.  I will not apologize for that or make excuses for that.  If that is creepy than what is life all about?  It amazes me how little understanding some have for what others are going through.  In fact one of the reasons my grief has been so hard is that because my estranged son is still alive most others cannot understand that my loss is no different than if he was dead.  Would anyone call a widow creepy for grieving the loss of their spouse?  They say the loss of a child is the most intense grief anyone could experience - is that also creepy?

God help those that can answer yes to that question and the ones in their lives wanting to be loved whole heartedly.

Once a mother always has a heart of a mother for her children, no matter what they do, where they go, or old they get.  Love doesn't end just because raising them does.  Creepy to me would be to believe that it does.

just2baccepted

I will not apologize for that or make excuses for that.  If that is creepy than what is life all about?  It amazes me how little understanding some have for what others are going through.

I agree with what you said and hopefully this poster didn't mean situations like yours and maybe her view is skewed from her issues, who knows.

But bless your sweet heart, I wish you son and DIL could see how much love you have to give them, I think that's so obvious.  The way I see it is God can do anything and you may see miracle come your way some day especially when we know we're doing what we need to do to heal the relationship.  Oh please don't give up.  You're son is still alive.  He must love you because you loved him.  he won't forget that, I just know that has to be true.  I love my mom so much and can't imagine pulling out of her life because my hubby hated her for stupid reasons.  Good Luck.